Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,982,650 times

Advertisements

I read half the thread last night on what do you love/hate about San Antonio (maybe 300 posts) and am intrigued by this place. However, I do have a concern about humidity as I have a problem breathing in humid places. I live in the desert now where there is little humidity, but also no water and I can't deal with the no water aspect any longer. I was in SA maybe 35 years ago and remember how much I liked the River Walk.

Also, I hear that housing is inexpensive and that property taxes are high. As a percentage of the house's value, just how high are we talking? I think I pay about 1% where I am.

How is the job market there? The thread posts I read were from 2008 and I'm sure things have changed. It seems like people either love it or hate it there. Is road construction still a big issue? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 AM

522 posts, read 1,130,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I live in the desert now where there is little humidity, but also no water and I can't deal with the no water aspect any longer.
do you mean no water as in rain or no water as in bodies of water like lakes and rivers? if it's rain, you probably know that texas is in the midst of a historic drought, so you won't be seeing too much of that for a while.

humidity in san antonio is frequently bad in the summer/heat if you aren't used to it (like me, who was used to very dry southwest desert like heat) BUT as others will mention it is nowhere near as bad as coastal areas like houston and florida. i see humidity peak in the 90%s in the early morning but it usually doesn't last that long and evens out to about 30-50% throughout the day, on bad days.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,537,917 times
Well, SA has no water AND humidity.

Compared to Houston, FL, the south, or anywhere in the midwest, humidity in SA is pretty mild. Compared to AZ or central CA, it's humid. I understand not being able to breathe, that's how I feel in places like FL. Not an issue here.

FWIW - it hasn't rained in forever so it's very dry, but it's humid enough that I get about 15-20 gals of water per day out of my a/c, which is set at 80F most of the time. So, clearly there's some humidity, but not that bad.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,982,650 times
Thanks to both of you! By water I mean lakes and rivers and I read that in the Hill Country there are both. How far is the hill country?

Living where I am, I am quite used to having the A/C running, not that I like it, but it sounds like your summers don't reach 105, 108, 115 as far as temps.

Also, where I live, IMHO, there is absolutely NOTHING to do that interests me. It's a very transient place with huge sprawl and whatever water in this town is a man made body of water.

I read you have fiestas or fiesta week and at least a Seaworld, which puts SA on a different level completely than here. At least it sounds like there are some attractions. I read the pace of life is slower, but at 52 that is ok by me. One concern I have is that the thread said it's very family oriented. Well, my kids are my furbabies and I'm single. I don't want to move to a place where everyone is married with kids as I think I'd have a hard time finding friends to do things with (you know, families tend to come first and often single people are not part of the equation). Oh, one more thing, I am not a republican and I was reading that it you're not people look at you funny. In fact, I am quite the liberal and wonder if there would be many like-minded people there.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:19 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,265,420 times
Well I am a Republican (for lack of a better choice to match my personal values) and I won't look at you funny I have liberal friends and I just make sure I don't talk politics with them. I should note that I live in the far North Central part of SA which is pretty much the "Republican" side of town--and yes there are plenty of non-conservatives here as well. The rest of SA tends to vote Democrat for the most part, however, I'm sure people who moved here will tell you it is probably still less liberal then some parts of the country. SA is a big city so unless you plan on moving into one of the surrounding towns you should have no problem finding like-minded people or people who know how to have a conversation without bringing party lines into it. I can't guarantee you won't ever hear a discouraging word about the current president but I'm guessing there aren't many places without a little political contention.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,537,917 times
Quote:
Thanks to both of you! By water I mean lakes and rivers and I read that in the Hill Country there are both. How far is the hill country?

Living where I am, I am quite used to having the A/C running, not that I like it, but it sounds like your summers don't reach 105, 108, 115 as far as temps.
Um, yeah, it does, but not consistently. At least not usually. It's not unusual to get temps above 100 throughout August, but this year we've had that pretty much since late April.

And yeah, we have rivers and lakes.

Quote:
I read you have fiestas or fiesta week and at least a Seaworld, which puts SA on a different level completely than here. At least it sounds like there are some attractions. I read the pace of life is slower, but at 52 that is ok by me. One concern I have is that the thread said it's very family oriented. Well, my kids are my furbabies and I'm single. I don't want to move to a place where everyone is married with kids as I think I'd have a hard time finding friends to do things with (you know, families tend to come first and often single people are not part of the equation). Oh, one more thing, I am not a republican and I was reading that it you're not people look at you funny. In fact, I am quite the liberal and wonder if there would be many like-minded people there.
By family-oriented means more it's a comfortable place to raise a family. However, where I live (near downtown), there is a huge mix of families, child free couples, single people, old and young, and within all those groups of combo of gay and straight. You don't have to have kids, but it helps if you don't mind kids around. Lots of places are family-friendly. Not necessarily geared towards kids, but kids are welcome. However, there are also plenty of adult oriented activities and places where kids would not be comfortable, so you can escape them once in awhile.

Politically, San Antonio overall is split about 50/50, however, some areas will be heavily conservative and others heavily liberal. if you lived in my neighborhood, you'd have thought Bill White would surely be our next governor and gay marriage would be a done deal...but we do have a handful of Republicans and they get along just fine (they tend to be more socially liberal tho). Other parts of San Antonio, are the opposite. There are plenty of people with a variety of views, and plenty who don't care.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,338,055 times
Compared to AZ...humidity here would be high. I lived in Dallas for 25 years, and it was drier in Dallas than SA. The closer to the coast the higher it gets.

I'm also one with breathing problems in humidity. Like others have said....we're in a severe drought....and while our humidity on a temporary average right now is lower than usual, when it rains, it's like a steam bath for the next few days as the wet grounds evaporate. I have to stay inside on those days...or at least limit outdoor. We've had temps over 100 all summer....and that is unusual. Typical highs are around 95-98 in the summer but more humid.

As far as lakes....all the lakes around San Antonio are man made. That doesn't mean they aren't nice.....but a couple are way below typical levels for this time of year....especially the Medina river. Most river beds are completely dried up, unless they are spring fed. Even then, the aquifer level is low so even some springs are not flowing.

Clearly...this is not a good time to look at SA and decide if its right for you. Nothing is typical right now.....and it looks like next year will be a repeat.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM

361 posts, read 923,207 times
In a normal summer devoid of high-pressure heat pockets that keep the rain out, it can and does get humid with high heat indexes a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio