Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,755 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to sell a house in $300Ks and buy in $600K-$700K.

Does anyone have success stories in negotiating commissions where the same agent works both deals? Specifically attractive would be a lower commission on the sale or a rebate of a portion of commissions on the purchase.

I would also like to add an additional commission if the sale is above a certain amount or the purcase below a certain amount, to better align the realtor with my interests. Ideally this would be paid to only my side of the deal. What reaction will I get when I present this?

Not actively working with an agent at this point, but the target purchase properties have already been identified. Agent I would like to use works for a large brokerage in town.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Generally speaking, they'll negotiate for a 4-5% commission on your sale in exchange for getting the deal on your new one. Offering a "bonus" for a full-price offer, etc - will work only if the asking price is realistic in the first place - but yeah, it WILL get their attention!

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM

363 posts, read 748,391 times
Sent you a PM.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
From a Realtor's perspective (so take with a grain of salt if you wish), there is no set real estate commission. Everything is negotiable.

Be careful who you choose to represent you both on the buy and sale. You may find someone willing to discount the commission, but if they're not a good Realtor, they may not be as good at selling the house, negotiating, etc and you may actually LOSE money. You may find a great one that'll do it too. Don't just choose the cheapest, because the wrong decision can cost you money. When I have a client, and a deal comes in, I can tell quickly if we'll be able to maximize our dollar or will be in for a difficult negotiation just based on the Realtor representing the other party. There are certain names that I see where my eyes get as big as dinner plates knowing it'll be an incredibly easy negotiation.

For the purchase, you want to make sure that Realtor knows the market you're looking at. There is a difference in buying $200k houses and buying luxury homes. Make sure you get someone that's knowledgeable about both.

Don't try to make the commission rate contingent on you getting a certain sales price. YOU'RE the one that accepts a price. Your Realtor is there for advice in that field. If you find a good Realtor that comes recommended to you, they will negotiate the BEST sales price for you. Period.

Most in the field know that they make MUCH more in the long run by negotiating a great deal for their client and getting a lifetime of referrals (or even ONE) than they do by trying to convince you to take less and get a quick sale.

Make sure that you hire one that you trust and will listen to. I'm not saying take their advice as gospel, but if you don't trust your Realtor, it'll be a miserable relationship and you won't be as successful in your sale as you could me.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
I TOTALLY RECOMMEND Kevin Crawford for as being an OUTSTANDING real estate agent!

Placed our property on the Market on Friday and had our offer on Monday!!!

He goes ABOVE AND BEYOND to ensure that every property he lists is given the same attention to details. I was a little intimidated by the fact he sells million dollar homes, but he sold ours (NO WHERE NEAR 1MIL) home over the weekend!!!

Got service from him that made us FEEL like we were his $$$$ customers.

BTW, this is CURRENT info...just closed last week.

Never met him before CDF, only knew him from this site, and glad that my gut instinct was so correct. Buying or selling, he is THE man.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 18,934 times
Is it important for a buyer to get a realtor from a large firm?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
No. It's important for a buyer to get a Realtor that comes recommended by someone they trust. The firm has absolutely nothing to do with your Realtor's knowledge or expertise. I started with a small firm, went to a boutique agency and just moved to a large one (but small office). My moves were based solely on what was best for me and which ones I think were best for my listings, based on what they offered.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieS View Post
No - in fact, the exact opposite might well be true. Some of 'em tend to get the "We're the big guys" 'tude, which usually requires some "come to Jesus" time with 'em, and I don't have time for that garbage. I'd suggest you at least consider Kevin - he's on here regularly, giving suggestions/advice as appropriate - that's the kind of helpful guy/gal you want!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:19 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieS View Post
Not at all...in fact I was personally uncertain given the calibre of homes that Kevin sells...anyone with multi million dollar homes I thought would find sales such as ours minor, but FAR from the truth!!! Kevin treats EACH seller and buyer like they are selling/buying a multi million dollar home.

Again, having closed last week, ONLY STATING FACTS BASED ON OUR EXPERIENCE!!!! Getting a house sold in THIS market in one business day is something to be EXCITED about!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM

363 posts, read 748,391 times
I have to agree with the small firm vs large. I have used large firms in the past and just got lost in the shuffle it seemed like, not to mention any specifically. I just signed on a new house in Steubing Ranch this week using a small local brokerage and realtor and they were much more helpful, and more importantly always available. We hope to close and move in the beginning of Sept and I did save on the commission having them handle both sides. I would be happy to recommend to anyone, just PM me. They were great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio