Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandad View Post
And got a decent vacuum for $30 when mine suddenly crapped out.
Best place to get a used vacuum for cheap is the Goodwill on DeZavala. I don't know why but they've always got lots of vacuums and they're cheaper than the other Goodwills. Most of the new bagless vacuums just need their filters cleaned out to be good again. People can't figure that out and so they replace the vacuum instead of cleaning the filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
About jewelry and pawn shops, some are good and some are not. It helps if you have some idea of what things are worth and good enough vision to read the tiny little markings on the jewelry. Some pawn shops will bargain with you.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
You are only supporting crime when you shop at Pawn Shops. 95% of the stuff in there is stolen. THe city should pass an ordinance effectively banning them. Require anyone pawning something to have the original receipt to prove it is actually these.
If pawn shops every closed or were REALLY regulated, property crime would really drop in SA. Pawn Shops are nothing but an ATM machine for lowlifes.

I am sure Maj Mad Max can chime in on the process in place that SAPD has with pawn shops. They are suppose to review serial numbers of known stolen items with what is pawned. But, i am sorry, this doesnt really work with lawn tools, hand tools, and brand new stuff that is shop lifted and then pawned.
Sorry, but that is just so far from the truth. The reality is that pawn shops go to great lengths to avoid buying stolen items because if any are found they are confiscated and the shop loses its money.

The SAPD does spend time checking local pawn shops for stolen items, but as far as I know they are usually not a lucrative source for finding stolen goods.

But you are correct, none-unique items that don't have serial numbers, such as lawn equipment and such can be more easily passed off than items with serial numbers or ones that can be easily distinguished like jewelry.

As for the suggestion of requiring a receipt to pawn an item, that's just a bit of a stretch. I mean, I don't keep receipts for the vast majority of items I own, and I doubt many people do. And even if it was a requirement, it could be easily circumvented.

But my experience with local pawn shops has been that, at least in the case of firearms, their prices are nothing special. As a matter of fact, many are well over a reasonable price for some of their guns. I have purchased a rifle from a pawn shop, and the transaction is no different than if I bought it from a gun store. A Firearms Transaction Record, or Form 4473, must be completed as they have to have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) to sell weapons. While Texas has no firearms registration requirement, this provides some assurance that there is a record of the transaction taking place.

I would not try to dissuade anyone from going to a local pawn show to look at the items they have for sale, sometimes if you know what you are hunting for you can find some great deals. And I am sure I am not the only one here who regularly watches Pawn Stars! And if you have seen that show, you will know that they are in the business to make money, which means buying as low as possible and selling as high as they can. Also, regular viewers will remember that someone came into the store in that show trying to sell a London police constable's helmet and admitted that he took it through an open window of a car (while he was intoxicated). They told him since he admitted it was stolen, they couldn't take it. Pawn shops don't survive off stolen goods, if anything those items can and will lead to their demise! The Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner strictly regulates the industry in Texas under §85 of the Texas Administrative Code!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Best place to get a used vacuum for cheap is the Goodwill on DeZavala. I don't know why but they've always got lots of vacuums and they're cheaper than the other Goodwills. Most of the new bagless vacuums just need their filters cleaned out to be good again. People can't figure that out and so they replace the vacuum instead of cleaning the filter.
thats how i got my current vac(kinda)

chick was giving it, plus a non working one, away on craigslist, said it kept getting clogged.

threw on rubber gloves, dismantled it, cleaned it, replaced filter and vac (a 10$ total investment) and bam, a working, semi-quiet vacuum with a decent hepa filter and... shockingly... NO LEAKS! this is the number one thing you want to look for in a vac.

turn the lights off, turn the vac on and shine a pocket light on it while you vacuum. if you see dust, there is a leak and the vac is worthless til you seal that leak

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
BTW - if you purchase an item that is stolen, and you are found in possession of it, you can also be charged. Another reason to go with the bigger stores. You may pay a little more, but it's worth the peace of mind not being part of a theft ring.
Not true, you have to have knowledge of the fact that the item was stolen to be charged with the possession of it (per §31.03 of the Texas Penal Code, Theft).

However, even without that knowledge, if it is determined to be stolen than the item can be confiscated from you by the police without compensation for it.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
did the woman report it stolen? if so, did she give police the serial number of the instrument?

did she register the instrument at all?

if not, oh well boo hoo so sad. this is why you register EVERYTHING you buy thats of any value to you. my tvs? registered. my computers? registered. cars? registered and filed with the police as well.

if you dont register it, its he said she said and the cops wont do anything.
Where did this happen? (Please say not San Antonio!) Trombones have serial numbers on them, so if she reported the instrument stolen and had the S/N, I don't understand what the problem was with her getting it back.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM

361 posts, read 924,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Where did this happen? (Please say not San Antonio!) Trombones have serial numbers on them, so if she reported the instrument stolen and had the S/N, I don't understand what the problem was with her getting it back.

It was San Antonio. A woman went to a gym after work while elaving it in the car, it was stolen, got pawned, she reported it stolen, and the pawn shop refused to give it back while selling it to a Japanese buyer online.

It was on KENS 5 for several days yet on their site I cannot find anything about it. This was the only bit I could find on it:

JazzHouston | Classifieds | Alert: Stolen Trombone

And the follow-up that I didn't know about is the Japanese man was refunded his money, the trombne sent back to the pawn shop then the police and she got it back (after 5 months of BS). But I do clearly remember the pawn shop refused to give it back at first and shipped it off knowing it was stolen. I guess the police made them get it back.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
i hope she learned her lesson and now registeres her valuables with the police and i hope she has insurance now on her house or apartment

Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,212 times
New...I reported the theft of my $17,000+ engagement ring in detail on 5-11-10. On 1-26-14 my son wanted his coins appraised. Not my gig so I check out the jewelry and about hit the floor when I saw my ring. I called over my son and asked "anything look familiar?" Holy crap your ring. I had the owner take it out and put it on my finger. Perfect fit. This ring has a special feature..next to each side of the 2 1/2 Marque cut diamond were three rows of banquettes, however, on one side there was one less stone . A Jeweler told me its a sign of one of a kind ring and was expensive. Yup, one was missing. Even with my report the owner said I had to pay $1,750.00 to get it back. IS HE NUTS..HE HAS POSSESSION OF STOLEN PROPERTY. HELP...THIS IS IN SAN DIEGO, CA....THANKS

Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaRebel View Post
New...I reported the theft of my $17,000+ engagement ring in detail on 5-11-10. On 1-26-14 my son wanted his coins appraised. Not my gig so I check out the jewelry and about hit the floor when I saw my ring. I called over my son and asked "anything look familiar?" Holy crap your ring. I had the owner take it out and put it on my finger. Perfect fit. This ring has a special feature..next to each side of the 2 1/2 Marque cut diamond were three rows of banquettes, however, on one side there was one less stone . A Jeweler told me its a sign of one of a kind ring and was expensive. Yup, one was missing. Even with my report the owner said I had to pay $1,750.00 to get it back. IS HE NUTS..HE HAS POSSESSION OF STOLEN PROPERTY. HELP...THIS IS IN SAN DIEGO, CA....THANKS
You need to post this on the San Diego forum. The laws and ordinances of San Antonio, Texas will be different than those in San Diego. You might also want to call the non-emergency number of the police department of the municipality where the pawn shop is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio