Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
And I refuse to go to the university! Lol one time there was a 24 hour wait! Crazy!
University actually provides really good care...if you ever have a real emergency and you don't have health insurance, even if you're prepared to pay cash right then, the ER at University is a much better place to be. The other emergency rooms will accept payment right on the spot, but they won't do anything other than tell you that you need to see a doctor...and then you're right back to trying to find a doctor who will let you pay cash.

I broke my leg several years ago and went to the ER at Methodist. They charged me $400 to tell me that my leg was broken (which I already knew), wrapped it in a splint that fell off by the time I reached the parking lot, and gave me a list of doctors to follow up with. When I called those doctors, as soon as they heard I didn't have insurance, before I could tell them I had cash, the receptionists would say to call University, and then hang up on me. Several days later, in agony because the ends of the broken bone grated together every time I moved, I went to the ER at university. They said they had an 8 hour wait but they saw me in about an hour and a half, did xrays and put a cast on my leg. They also asked if I had put the splint (from Methodist ER) on it myself or had a friend do it, because it was such a mess.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
I had it through Golden Rule, which is part of United Healthcare, for a few months to avoid COBRA while my husband changed jobs. COBRA was $1300 for a family of 4 while Golden Rule was $700. It would have been less but my son and I take medicine monthly and they charged us more. You can get a quote online. There were many options online so you can compare different deductibles and co-pays. I think ours was $5K with $25 per office visit. I only used them once before we went onto another insurance but everything went smoothly and I haven't been hit by extra bills.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacos View Post
Well of course that's what tax is for, but I would rather pay my taxes and be taken care of than to have to pay privately.
Actually, that's not what taxes (or the government) are for. Taxes are for programs that benefit society as a whole, not individuals. People should be responsible for their own health insurance, the same they are with auto, life and other insurance programs...

Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM

83 posts, read 156,181 times
Why not just continue to put away money every month for health expenses and in the event you get sick visit Texas Med Clinic or something similiar? Before I had health insurance I would go there, they do pretty much everything. I've gone for stitches and broken bones etc.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTX1293 View Post
Why not just continue to put away money every month for health expenses and in the event you get sick visit Texas Med Clinic or something similiar? Before I had health insurance I would go there, they do pretty much everything. I've gone for stitches and broken bones etc.
And if something major like a car accident occurs? I kinda doubt the ambulance will take you to the nearest Med Clinic....

When you are young you are invincible and stupid....

When you get older you realize how fragile the human body is and make sure you have major medical coverage.......

Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Amen. Once something major happens, it won't do any goodtime to remember "oops, I never did look around for medical coverage!"

Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM

13 posts, read 22,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Actually, that's not what taxes (or the government) are for. Taxes are for programs that benefit society as a whole, not individuals. People should be responsible for their own health insurance, the same they are with auto, life and other insurance programs...
But it does benifit every single person in the UK, bar none, so that is all of our society, no single individual is left out.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM

952 posts, read 2,634,576 times
Hey I'm British and yes it's coz we pay wayyyyyy too much Tax to get the benefit of free healthcare. I'd rather tpay the high tax and get healthcare rather than not have healthcare at all. one of the many reasons why i look to go back to living inn London again

Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
we pay wayyyyyy too much Tax to get the benefit of free healthcare.
Wait, wut?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 PM

952 posts, read 2,634,576 times
well not just the benefit of the healthcare system but there's many others too, i think the educaiton system too is top notch were gonna have our DD educated back in UK than HS here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio