U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,931 times

Advertisements

I know there are several threads with this discussion, but i'm not asking who's the best, who's the cheapest etc....

I simply want to know if anyone knows of a place in town where I can try to talk to all of the larger players (TWC, ATT, Dish, Direct TV) in person?

All of their websites are a pain to search through, and i'd rather try and haggle a person into getting a good deal versus an operator.

So any malls, shopping centers, etc. where more than one is available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,366,466 times
Unfortunately, from my recent experience, they all suck, they all lie, and none will give you what you actually want at a price you are willing to pay. I've been dealing with it for a couple months now and it just won't end.

Good luck..

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM

581 posts, read 1,010,695 times
I see Directv reps at Sams Club and BestBuy. You may want to call and confirm before heading out though. If you are a Sams Club member that is where I always see them on Saturdays when I go in there.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 AM

361 posts, read 824,421 times
Only Time-Warner doesn't do usage caps and bandwidth throttling to make your internet run like it's the 90's all over again, except for their wireless mobile packages which are just as bad.....

Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM

3,157 posts, read 5,202,151 times
As far as a single place where you can go in person to talk face-to-face with representatives from more than one provider, none that I know of.

Time Warner has a few storefront service centers in San Antonio. I think you can go there to see product demonstrations and talk to someone about the various services they have available. I get flyers from AT&T periodically inviting me to go to an AT&T store in my neighborhood to see a U-verse demonstration.

As for the satellite companies, I think DirecTV has a stronger presence in retail stores, like the previously mentioned Best Buy and Costco. Dish Network seems to be handled more by independent A/V installers who often don't have any storefront operation, but I've heard with their recent acquisition of Blockbuster, that Dish Network may start showing up in Blockbuster video stores. Pricing & promotions for the satellite companies are usually nationwide (your service agreement will be with them, not the retailer or installer), so there may be little, if anything, they can do for you with regard to additional incentives.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,246,704 times
Time-Warner has customer service centers where you can try out their products and speak to a sales rep. I've been to the one at 410 and Blanco, but IIRC there are others. Since it's a T-W store, you won't get a demo of competing products.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM

936 posts, read 1,758,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
I simply want to know if anyone knows of a place in town where I can try to talk to all of the larger players (TWC, ATT, Dish, Direct TV) in person?

All of their websites are a pain to search through, and i'd rather try and haggle a person into getting a good deal versus an operator.

So any malls, shopping centers, etc. where more than one is available?
There's no place I've ever heard of where they're all available together. There's no incentive for them to be all in the same place.

I doubt you're going to have any better luck haggling a person than a phone operator. At least at the call center if you have service with someone and threaten to cancel they'll sometimes transfer you to a "retention" department and try to cut you some deals or credit your account to get you to stay. However, they keep track of your call history and if you call a lot to complain just to get deals/credits you get put on a "trouble customer" list and then they get smart to the game you're playing.

If you're not already a customer they'll usually just at your attempts to haggle with them because they have price levels decided at a much higher level than the person you're talking to and that low man on the totem pole doesn't have the authority to give you a special price.

If you actually get some results haggling let us know, because I would be impressed.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,931 times
More so, I guess you could say i'm a visual person. And rather than an operator saying we have "x" package with a,b,c,d or we have package "xz" with a,b,c, and e....etc. I'd rather see it in person.
And yes we have the internet, but it's the same thing there. "Well if you click on this icon, it'll lead you here, then you go to the drop box and select here and you'll find it"

I work in the business industry and face to face is still the best way to do business, IMO.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM

936 posts, read 1,758,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
More so, I guess you could say i'm a visual person. And rather than an operator saying we have "x" package with a,b,c,d or we have package "xz" with a,b,c, and e....etc. I'd rather see it in person.
And yes we have the internet, but it's the same thing there. "Well if you click on this icon, it'll lead you here, then you go to the drop box and select here and you'll find it"

I work in the business industry and face to face is still the best way to do business, IMO.
Sounds like you're going to have to shop around the old-fashioned way then and haul yourself around to two or three different places to see someone in person so they can show you whatever physical materials they keep on hand for the visually/face-to-face inclined.

Are you aware that some places have discounts on installation/services (I think ATT does, TW might too) for signing up/scheduling your installation online rather than in person? If so hopefully you can use your haggling skills to get that waived.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,495,714 times
Just a suggestion, but, you may want to ask people in your neighborhood about what internet they use and if they are happy with it. I manage a group of people that work from home, and they all have work provided internet, some Time Warner, some ATT, some Grande. I think it does depend a bit on where you live. Our work tries to get Time Warner, as we have had way less issues with them as opposed to ATT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio