Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 AM

74 posts, read 175,254 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a home in the Elmendorf area and was wondering if this is a good area to live with kids? I currently live in New Braunfels but have only been in Texas for 4 years so I am not to familiar with parts of San Antonio. My husband works on SE Military so that is why we are looking at places closer to his work. My husband has no problem with traveling to work every day so if we can not find a good area then we will stay in New Braunfels, but we would like to see what our options are around San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 02:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
If you're looking for more country type living look at 181 between S.A. and Floresville. Been a while since I've been through Elmendorf. But, it's probably still nothing there ...it certainly lacking conveniences. There are subs up closer to Floresville. I like the Floresville scene!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,944,336 times
You'll get extremely good TV reception in Elmendorf, since that's where most of the San Antonio TV stations' towers are!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks! I haven't actually been over in that area just found the home online and looked at a map. Country setting is ok but if it doesn't have anything there then I probably wouldn't like it (although it would probably make my husband happy as he hates being around lots of people and stores). He would like to be closer to his work, but that area around SE Military is just not for us. I am thinking the Stone Oak area would be just as far as New Braunfels with traffic so that is why we haven't looked over there. What are some High schools to avoid in San Antonio? That is my main concern with my oldest daughter going into 9th grade next year. Here in New Braunfels we don't like NBISD, but Comal ISD has good schools.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You'll get extremely good TV reception in Elmendorf, since that's where most of the San Antonio TV stations' towers are!
You would think. I've done work in Kens transmitter bldg way back.. They have the "Joe Ball" mystique too!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,211,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharmingone View Post
Thanks! I haven't actually been over in that area just found the home online and looked at a map. Country setting is ok but if it doesn't have anything there then I probably wouldn't like it (although it would probably make my husband happy as he hates being around lots of people and stores). He would like to be closer to his work, but that area around SE Military is just not for us. I am thinking the Stone Oak area would be just as far as New Braunfels with traffic so that is why we haven't looked over there. What are some High schools to avoid in San Antonio? That is my main concern with my oldest daughter going into 9th grade next year. Here in New Braunfels we don't like NBISD, but Comal ISD has good schools.
Well the best high schools here are massive, for one. Other than the obvious answer, Alamo Heights, the most affluent neighborhoods in SA are in NEISD, so that would be your best bet. Reagan, Churchill and Johnson would be among the best. I believe most of Stone Oak is now districted for Johnson. MacArthur and Madison are right up there, too (though Madison is getting huge). NISD is very hit or miss. O'Connor, just outside the city in Helotes would be good, though. I 've also heard good things about Boerne. Avoid SAISD or any other district altogether. I know people will attack me for saying this, but trust me, coming from NB, you'll understand.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,255,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Well the best high schools here are massive, for one. Other than the obvious answer, Alamo Heights, the most affluent neighborhoods in SA are in NEISD, so that would be your best bet. Reagan, Churchill and Johnson would be among the best. I believe most of Stone Oak is now districted for Johnson. MacArthur and Madison are right up there, too (though Madison is getting huge). NISD is very hit or miss. O'Connor, just outside the city in Helotes would be good, though. I 've also heard good things about Boerne. Avoid SAISD or any other district altogether. I know people will attack me for saying this, but trust me, coming from NB, you'll understand.
Actually only a very small part of Stone Oak is at Johnson. They tried to make it none but some areas along the edge of 281 were going there as of last year. Unfortunately, I think the growth along Bulverde Rd will keep the bulk of Stone Oak going to Reagan. Somehow Johnson appeals to me over Reagan but I'm guessing they will need another school by the time my 4th grader gets to HS anyway.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,559,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharmingone View Post
The fact you are coming from NB coupled with your statement that you were thinking SO I would say you would not fit in well in most communities south of the northern most ring of 410.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 AM

409 posts, read 1,027,692 times
The only think I know of Elmendorf is there's a nekkid colony somewhere out there. Lotsa ppl prolly wouldn't recommend living there since there's really nothing else there. Floresville would prolly be better and it's not too far from Elmendorf.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
The fact you are coming from NB coupled with your statement that you were thinking SO I would say you would not fit in well in most communities south of the northern most ring of 410.

Your probably right. There is not many places that I have drove by that I think are nice except for the Stone Oak and Alamo Ranch areas. We haven't lived here for long so I am not that familiar with the area. I was just thinking if we could find a nice area close to my husbands work that it would save us big time on gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio