U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,170,706 times

Advertisements

Good lawd jeebus, another thread that turns into people arguing about why they posted something or what they have done or have not done. Viny80, please don't question why people come to this city. It does have an allure to it. As do places such as Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

My point is, you may question why I find Bosnia alluring (beautiful, crystal clear lakes and nice, tall trees)... and others may wonder why the OP would fly 1/3 across the globe to get some nice heat and eat enchiladas. I'm glad somebody is interested in this city besides people looking to leeeeeeeeeeeechhhh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:46 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,111,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Good lawd jeebus, another thread that turns into people arguing about why they posted something or what they have done or have not done. Viny80, please don't question why people come to this city. It does have an allure to it. As do places such as Mostar, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

My point is, you may question why I find Bosnia alluring (beautiful, crystal clear lakes and nice, tall trees)... and others may wonder why the OP would fly 1/3 across the globe to get some nice heat and eat enchiladas. I'm glad somebody is interested in this city besides people looking to leeeeeeeeeeeechhhh....
I love Mostar, and Bosnia in general! I spent my "summer" there in 1998 courtesy of SFOR and was lucky enough to have a job that required me to travel to most parts of the country.

I hope to get back one day, I'm sure things have changed but I'd love to see how it's gotten back to "normal." I see where the Stari Most bridge has been reconstructed, when we were there they were still trying to recover the stones from the Neretva!

As for San Antonio, I understand it's not for everyone; but the mere fact that such huge numbers of people visit this great city every years should least indicate to those who may not feel the same about it that a clearly large number of people disagree.

And no matter what, it's home to many of us. I am on the road a lot, and it always feels great when the plane touches down at SA airport! I would kill to have a few weeks at home, but right now is a very busy time for my organization and I really don't have that option...

Cheers! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 09-02-2011 at 03:02 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 AM

70 posts, read 154,822 times
I think San Antonio is the most interesting city in Texas. It is rich in history (think the Alamo, the old Spanish missions, the German area - King William district). If it's still open, the Quadrangle at Ft Sam Houston is interesting and very old. SA used to have a nice zoo. Hopefully you won't need them, but SA has some world-class medical facilities.

For a ranch visit perhaps the Fredericksburg area would have something to offer and the LBJ Ranch, now a national park, is just down the road. The ranch tour is very interesting. Fredericksburg itself is interesting, a town originally settled by German immigrants in the 1840s and 1850s. It has an interesting museum in an old German house.

I'm originally from Dallas, but lived in SA for about 2 years in the mid-70s. There used to be many excellent restaurants (see chowhound - CHOW - Recipes, cooking tips, resources, and stories for people who love food - for restaurant recommendations.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Last edited by RevImmigrant; 09-02-2011 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: Put same sentence in twice (it's very early in the AM here)

Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,083,901 times
I would defanatly visit the Riverwalk and Market Square since you want to see the Alamo which is downtown.

The Official Website of The San Antonio River Walk

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Historic Market Square

Tower of the Americas - Taking Entertaiment & Fine Dining to New Heights.

The Buckhorn - Since 1881

Dixie Dude Ranch - Perfect Western Getaway in Bandera, Texas

Mi Tierra Restaurant & Bakery

San Antonio Mexican Food : La Fogata

San Antonio Mexican Food | Tomatillos | Tex-Mex Restaurant

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 AM

21,214 posts, read 5,624,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarej View Post
I'm hoping to visit San Antonio next year around April (I hope) from Ireland, this will be a major trip for me as I've never flown over 3 hours so I want to make the absolute most of it (as I'm not a great flyer this may possibly scar me for life!). There are a number of things I want to do and I'm looking for other suggestions; visit The Alamo; go to a Spurs game; eat an authentic Tex Mex meal (suggestions please), go to a working ranch (suggestions please), visit a military base (if I can) and attend a rodeo. I'm not interested in Downtown/Riverwalk, amusement parks or water parks etc. I also would love some suggestions for some nightlife for the over 30's. Also, I'm female so is it safe to bus and walk everywhere as I don't intend to drive. Thanks
ClareJ---I'm planning a trip to SA since I haven't been there since 1965. I doubt that you'll be able to get much of a tour of the military bases since security has been heightened recently.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 AM

206 posts, read 389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
My suggestions for food are Mamacitas or Chuy's. Unless you know someone that is military that is willing to sign you in as a visitor you will not be allowed on base. Rodeo season is from Feb 9-26, 2011,it's not year round. As for clubs if you likle country or want to see a mechanical bull go to Cowboys dancehall or Midnight Rodeo. Just curious why fly all thew way to San Antonio from Ireland? I've lived all over the US and would never choose or think of SA as a vacation spot to have a blast, although for some reason alot of people do, just wondering why you picked it..
Chachos!
And as for a Rodeo, there's rodeos all around the area locally, check out this schedule next year http://www.prorodeo.com/Calendar2011.aspx and there should be one near about when you're coming. Or repost once you're about to show up, and we might be able to find you a local festival or fair where there's one going on. I know it's part of the Poteet Strawberry Festival, which is just a few miles down the road.

Cowboys Dancehall also has bullriding too. http://www.cowboysdancehall.com/San-...o/Bull-Riding/

Oh, and while you're here, please go see a live tejano or conjunto band, there's plenty of outdoor shows in the spring! And also, you have to see a Texas Country band. It's mandatory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio