Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Ok, I admittedly "snuck" into another movie screen to get a peek at another movie. The server approached me to ask me where my ticket was. When I told her that I had no ticket, she told me that I had to go the box office to get a "copy" of the ticket. Since I couldn't produce one, I chose to leave.
I've never heard of a theater server asking for a ticket before. The explanation was that since they have no ushers, that the servers check the ticvkets. Why would any high school kid want to go snitching on patrons is beyond me. Admittedly, I don't go to movies often since I don't like the quality of most of the movies that they show these days. Anyone ever heard of anyone with a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Yep

Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
If you had replied "I'm glad you're here, I was just getting ready to order," and placed an order, I bet your lack of a ticket could have been overlooked... as long as you also tipped when the order arrived.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM

239 posts, read 442,347 times
i went to Alamo drafthouse about a month ago and they did not ask me for my ticket.....on that note let me just say that I LOVE that place!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:27 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,134 times
Yes, they always check tickets.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Sneaking in to a movie you haven't paid to see is actually called "stealing". Justify it however you would like *the popcorn is soooooooooo expensive! the drinks are a ripoff!* but bottom line it is stealing. I fully support them and Santikos checking tickets! Santikos at Bandera just implemented this policy a few weekends ago......not sure if they are sticking to it since people **** and moan about the dumbest things, but I think they are smart to do it.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:33 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Busted, eh?

Whereas I've done the same thing, popped into a different theater to see if a movie is good; but only for a minute or two. I usually just stand in the doorway, and I've even had employees see me do it and they've never said a word to me; but again it's only for a short wile.

But you've also got to understand their point. You've paid to see one specific movie, and if they allowed people to bounce from one theater to another then it's taking away from their profits. Some might even consider it as "stealing" as you are getting services you haven't paid for!

Now I think that might be a bit extreme (especially when you consider how much they charge for everything at theaters these days! (); you still have to keep in mind that if they didn't put an effort to stop this from happening, there is a potential to lose a lot of money. While I am sure it still happens, especially with older kids; without some threat of being caught, it would be rampant.

I'm sure you understand this if you thought about it from their perspective!

Also, please don't disparage the employees there for doing their jobs. It is already an uncomfortable situation for them when they find a non-paying patron, and it isn't their fault that you chose to sneak into a different movie!

Cheers! M2

Old 09-01-2011, 04:44 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,610 times
i never really thought about it, so i haven't noticed. we go to westlakes all the time for regular movies and for special events. there might have been a couple special event we went to where the wait staff didn't check the tickets (probably because the tickets were checked just before being seated) but if i recall accurately, they usually check.

madmax has the right of it though. and while it's easy to say "they get enough of my money!" remember those kids checking your tickets aren't making mad bank or whatever. **** rolls down hill and the worker bees will be feeling the effects of lost revenue or the repercussions of improper procedures more than the BigWigs, or whatever picture you might paint for a movie house. i may not feel like giving the paladium my money, but i definitely think the drafthouses are worth it!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Sneaking in to a movie you haven't paid to see is actually called "stealing". Justify it however you would like *the popcorn is soooooooooo expensive! the drinks are a ripoff!* but bottom line it is stealing. I fully support them and Santikos checking tickets! Santikos at Bandera just implemented this policy a few weekends ago......not sure if they are sticking to it since people **** and moan about the dumbest things, but I think they are smart to do it.
I knew that there would be at least one response like yours. I do think that theaters are huge ripoffs and am fortunate that I rarely see many movies at theaters.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I knew that there would be at least one response like yours. I do think that theaters are huge ripoffs and am fortunate that I rarely see many movies at theaters.
Don't be cheap. It's stealing. And majormadmax said basically the same thing only he used about 700 more words to do it, with a follow-up post by Glorified Malcontent who also agrees with MMM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio