Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times

Advertisements

The yielding in this city is nowhere near perfect. I started the older thread awhile back b/c of some jackass who didn't yield to me at the 1604/Culebra turnaround. Just flew right through there by Chick Fil A and almost side swiped me. I gave him a hand gesture which he did not appreciate, but yield to me otherwise my Silverado will end up on top of your Dodge Neon!!! That is why I go out before noon to avoid all the idiots in this city who cannot drive. Now driving in Houston....that is heaven.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I was rear ended at 410 and Blanco when I yielded for oncoming traffic. Of course he was in a pickup truck. Coming from MA, I've always been told that Boston drivers were the worst in the country. While it's true that they are among the most aggressive, SA has the most careless drivers.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Coming from MA, I've always been told that Boston drivers were the worst in the country. While it's true that they are among the most aggressive, SA has the most careless drivers.
Coming from Boston myself, I'd have to agree with you.

And, I think it is a combination of being careless, and not even *knowing* traffic laws. It send chills up my spine that many of these same people people will be instructing a parent taught driver's ed course. Of course, many will adhere to the rules, and guide their kids carefully...those who disregard/don't know rules in the first place...well...

Old 09-04-2011, 10:27 AM

95 posts, read 210,354 times
I refuse to yield, but I will merge. That is why there is all that road in front of us. If you stop and wait for all the traffic to pass and then go when the coast is clear, that is dumb. Accelerate to meet the same speed as the cars that are coming, put on your blinker, and merge into the nearest lane. People tend to stop and wait when they are trying to get over all the way all at once. This is not the proper way to yield. If you are doing this then that means you should have taken an earlier exit to allow you distance to work your way through traffic.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I was rear ended at 410 and Blanco when I yielded for oncoming traffic. Of course he was in a pickup truck. Coming from MA, I've always been told that Boston drivers were the worst in the country. While it's true that they are among the most aggressive, SA has the most careless drivers.

Not careless, just fearless. Welcome to Texas.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:56 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrethegiant View Post
I refuse to yield, but I will merge. That is why there is all that road in front of us. If you stop and wait for all the traffic to pass and then go when the coast is clear, that is dumb. Accelerate to meet the same speed as the cars that are coming, put on your blinker, and merge into the nearest lane. People tend to stop and wait when they are trying to get over all the way all at once. This is not the proper way to yield. If you are doing this then that means you should have taken an earlier exit to allow you distance to work your way through traffic.
There are laws I think are dumb but that doesn't mean I get to disregard them.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
i dont WANT to get rear ended, but if i do, i already have a bad back and bad knees...

Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
There are laws I think are dumb but that doesn't mean I get to disregard them.
Its not a disregard. It is what was quoted from the DPS book earlier. Slow down and stop if necessary. I think it is rare that someone would have to stop completely to get into an active lane. I think most people in this city lack confidence behind their wheel and they become hesitant and slow. That is way more dangerous than the ones who don't come to a complete stop everytime they see a yield sign.

And yes, I will honk my horn until I see tires roll when I am behind a car that stops at a yield sign when they are provided a merge lane to do what they need to do. I have also went around them on occasion. Other people who annoy me include people who take forever to pull out of a parking lot when they have had millions of opportunities to GO, and people who stand in the middle of the isle with their shopping cart and block the way for everyone else. But those deserve their own threads.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
people who stand in the middle of the isle with their shopping cart and block the way for everyone else. But those deserve their own threads.
I HATE THISSSSSSSSSS

really, i hate this soooo much! happened to me about a week and a half ago as i was getting groceries. little old lady, hogging the entire isle. gave me the stink eye when i scooted past her and said 'scuze me'

Old 09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
I refuse to yield, but I will merge.
i don't get this way of thinking. Just imagine the chaos and casualties it would cause if you applied the same reasoning to stop signs and red traffic lights. How can you possibly justify ignoring this one law? If you run into someone who has the right of way after choosing not to yield, you won't have a legal leg to stand on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio