U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2011, 04:37 PM
 
95 posts, read 162,942 times
Reputation: 56

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
During the week, never drive after 7am, or after 4:30pm and you should be good.
I know right! Luckily I have a work schedule that does not align with the gridlock hours of this town.

 
Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 PM
 
5,623 posts, read 6,414,616 times
Reputation: 3593
Folks, have some balls and tell me what you have to say to me here. There is a reason why I turn DM off. You know who you are.

I get a chuckle out of your poor attempt to insult me through a rep. I mean really?

You probably drive a diesel truck so you got butthurt by my comments earlier. Poor baby.
 
Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM
 
20 posts, read 34,739 times
Reputation: 16
Wow. Guess what, when you rear end me for yielding guess who's paying for my damage?? YOU. And when you side swipe me because you didn't yield, guess who's fault that is? YOURS. When cars have the right of way it is not their job to pay attention to YOU who is supposed to be yielding to them. I wonder why there are so many accidents here..amazing what people don't know about driving.

If "yield" meant "merge" then why is there a yield sign and a merge sign? Merge signs are when you get onto the highway and you MERGE. I am not "scared" to yield, its called COMMON SENSE. Yep, and most people here don't have that wonderful thing. Just in case your confused:
Attached Thumbnails
Yield.-yield_sign_r1-2_large.jpg   Yield.-merge-sign.png  
 
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,527,447 times
Reputation: 952
If they built roads correctly around here there'd be a lot less places for yield signs.

There is no way I'm stopping (yielding) on a service road where the speed limit is 45-50 MPH with other cars coming behind me. And I'm sorry for not moving into the right lane when the highway on ramp (service road exit) I need to get to is less than 500 feet from where the traffic from the highway is coming onto the service road.

I'll slow down, I'll let you in....I'll give you the right of way where I'm required....but both parties need to use a little common sense and be aware of the situation.

Last edited by dbbd; 09-05-2011 at 07:53 PM..
 
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,527,447 times
Reputation: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanClark85 View Post
Wow. Guess what, when you rear end me for yielding guess who's paying for my damage?? YOU. And when you side swipe me because you didn't yield, guess who's fault that is? YOURS. When cars have the right of way it is not their job to pay attention to YOU who is supposed to be yielding to them. I wonder why there are so many accidents here..amazing what people don't know about driving.

If "yield" meant "merge" then why is there a yield sign and a merge sign? Merge signs are when you get onto the highway and you MERGE. I am not "scared" to yield, its called COMMON SENSE. Yep, and most people here don't have that wonderful thing. Just in case your confused:

So much for defensive driving.
 
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 PM
 
20 posts, read 34,739 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
If they built roads correctly around here there'd be a lot less places for yield signs.

There is no way I'm stopping (yielding) on a service road where the speed limit is 45-50 MPH with other cars coming behind me. And I'm sorry for not moving into the right lane when the highway on ramp (service road exit) I need to get to is less than 500 feet from where the traffic from the highway is coming onto the service road.

I'll slow down, I'll let you in....I'll give you the right of way where I'm required....but both parties need to use a little common sense and be aware of the situation.
On the service roads it is not necessary to come to a complete stop, but I still yield. I am more referring to places such as the exit for 10 west coming from 35 south there is a sharp curve to merge onto 10 and there is a yield sign there. And also on the 1604 interchanges where it is very necessary to yield. And BTW I am a very defensive driver however I do not cater to idiots on the road.
 
Old 09-05-2011, 08:41 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,527,447 times
Reputation: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanClark85 View Post
On the service roads it is not necessary to come to a complete stop, but I still yield. I am more referring to places such as the exit for 10 west coming from 35 south there is a sharp curve to merge onto 10 and there is a yield sign there. And also on the 1604 interchanges where it is very necessary to yield. And BTW I am a very defensive driver however I do not cater to idiots on the road.

I hear you, I'm from "up north" too....Northeast actually. The way the roads are built here leave a lot to be desired, and I think it feeds the crazy driving out there.

And my rant wasn't so much directed to you, reading through this thread just gave me an avenue to vent a little....
 
Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM
 
897 posts, read 2,615,657 times
Reputation: 595
DPS handbook also states on page 9-4 that once you are on the freeway and have chosen which lane to drive in:

Quote:
Adjust your speed to allow others to enter the freeway safely.
Now if everyone did that, we wouldn't have anything to talk about...
 
Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 AM
 
160 posts, read 465,590 times
Reputation: 117
Very good point, catriona. I think that is no small part of the issue that makes many traffic situations worse. Everyone wants to be first, but all that does is create problems.

There is another thread here about the yielding issues. In it, I mentioned that when I took the driving course when I was in high school (a looong time ago), we were instructed to yield to the traffic exiting a highway. That meant if there was an opening in the line of cars exiting, you should speed up to match their speed and merge into the open space. If the line of cars was constant (no open space), our instructions were to stop (yes on the access road) in order to let that line of cars pass. We were told specifically that if no open space existed, we were to treat the yield sign as a stop sign. When there was an opening, then it was okay to proceed. I'm sure there are many drivers that remember being told to yield in this manner, so that's what they do. I don't know - have things changed in today's driver's ed classes?

In the other thread, it was pointed out that a lot of the yield signs at those exit ramps have been removed over the years (decades?), possibly because it was considered safer and/or better for the overall flow of traffic. Or maybe the "powers that be" just thought it would be better to let each driver figure out what is best for each situation.

We all need to understand that everyone is different (mentally and physically), and everyone has different perceptions of what is safe. Also remember our senior citizens do not have the same reaction times as a 20 year old, so they may stop more often in a yield situation. If a driver does stop in order to yield to other cars, it doesn't help to get excited if you're behind them. Give it a few seconds, and everyone will be moving again. Keep enough space between you and the car in front of you so that you can stop safely, if needed.

I still like the signs that used to read "Drive Friendly". It was a simple concept. If everyone did this we'd have a lot less problems on the road, and everyone would be a little happier I think.
 
Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM
 
7,002 posts, read 10,249,891 times
Reputation: 5390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goominim View Post
Very good point, catriona. I think that is no small part of the issue that makes many traffic situations worse. Everyone wants to be first, but all that does is create problems.

There is another thread here about the yielding issues. In it, I mentioned that when I took the driving course when I was in high school (a looong time ago), we were instructed to yield to the traffic exiting a highway. That meant if there was an opening in the line of cars exiting, you should speed up to match their speed and merge into the open space. If the line of cars was constant (no open space), our instructions were to stop (yes on the access road) in order to let that line of cars pass. We were told specifically that if no open space existed, we were to treat the yield sign as a stop sign. When there was an opening, then it was okay to proceed. I'm sure there are many drivers that remember being told to yield in this manner, so that's what they do. I don't know - have things changed in today's driver's ed classes?

In the other thread, it was pointed out that a lot of the yield signs at those exit ramps have been removed over the years (decades?), possibly because it was considered safer and/or better for the overall flow of traffic. Or maybe the "powers that be" just thought it would be better to let each driver figure out what is best for each situation.

We all need to understand that everyone is different (mentally and physically), and everyone has different perceptions of what is safe. Also remember our senior citizens do not have the same reaction times as a 20 year old, so they may stop more often in a yield situation. If a driver does stop in order to yield to other cars, it doesn't help to get excited if you're behind them. Give it a few seconds, and everyone will be moving again. Keep enough space between you and the car in front of you so that you can stop safely, if needed.

I still like the signs that used to read "Drive Friendly". It was a simple concept. If everyone did this we'd have a lot less problems on the road, and everyone would be a little happier I think.
You were taught what the DPS book says. Bravo! You are to slow down or stop until there is a clearance and then speed up to go with the flow of traffic or else another pack of cars is going to catch up with you. Of course, you have to speed up to go back to driving near the speed limit. Duh! That line in the DPS book does not mean speed up to merge while there is a steady stream of traffic as others are suggesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top