U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM

9 posts, read 10,976 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about keeping strays? Are they free because they are running loose? Would you bring someones dog into your house knowing it belonged to someone searching for it?

Hey, there's a reward!! Does that change your mind or do you still keep the dog?

Curious to see who does the right thing. What is the right thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 PM

38,007 posts, read 55,801,278 times
How would you feel if someone did that to you ( and your kids? )
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 PM

935 posts, read 1,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvanness View Post
How do you feel about keeping strays? Are they free because they are running loose? Would you bring someones dog into your house knowing it belonged to someone searching for it?
If I knew someone was looking for it, I would give it back. Anyone that wouldn't is a thief, in my opinion.

However, if you ask around your neighborhood, check it for a collar and chip, and you honestly don't know where the dog came from and no one comes looking after a few weeks, then I think you've done your due diligence and you shouldn't feel bad about giving the animal a home.

Quote:
Hey, there's a reward!! Does that change your mind or do you still keep the dog?
I like to think I wouldn't take the reward, unless I had to REALLY go out of my way to return the dog (like miss a day of work or something). Returning lost pets is just something you do as a kindness to your fellow man, the reward is just the joy of doing something nice.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 PM

890 posts, read 1,532,993 times
We have a dog that was a stray. We went around our neighborhood and asked if anybody recognized it.....a few people said it belonged to a particular house. When we went to that house, they claimed it wasn't theirs, they just kept it and fed it once in awhile, but it came and went pretty regularly. They said they were moving soon (they did) and couldn't take it with them.

We wondered about that, but put some signs up. We took it to our vet, and she checked out healthy. Nobody claimed her, so she's ours now. She's a great little dog.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 PM

522 posts, read 993,062 times
the end all answer to this for me is "whatever gets a dog off the streets and into a stable forever home".

however, if someone is looking for their dog, it's best to give them back. never the less, seeing many many dogs that i know are owned and constantly and habitually loose (without collars) makes me think if someone wanted to take those dogs in to give them a safer home, i wouldn't blame them. i'd probably thank them.

part of the stray population aren't actually "strays", they're loose dogs that either for sure belong to someone or are loosely under ownership someone one (or that ever popular "the neighborhood's dog", ugh).

sometimes dogs get out, and an owner worth their salt will be looking for their animal and ways to make sure it doesn't happen again. those that just let their animal run free in the streets shouldn't really have them and frankly i wouldn't have a problem someone taking them in with the intent of keeping them.

this post is quite timely since i saw a neighbor's dog almost get hit by a car while it was on the loose and charging my dogs on our walk (something tiny like a chihuahua i think).

rewards? pfft, who cares. use that money to make sure the dog is up to date on shots, vet visits, chipped and secured (or donate it to an org that helps do just that) and i'll be more than happy to return him if i found it (and i actually have returned several collared dogs). the fact that anyone would take in strays to keep in a city like this is a miracle in of itself.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 AM

581 posts, read 1,039,621 times
Happened to me. Found a little puppy, maybe no more than 2 months, outside my work. He spent about 3 days hanging around on the steps. Higher up told us not to do anything because they didnt want to encourage him to hang around. I decided to take him home. Dear SO used to be a vet tech and told me he appeared in good condition considering. Didnt think he'd been out long. But one rule was I was only allowed to keep him in effort to search for an owner and for only 3 weeks.

So, I made flyers, plastered them all around the neighborhood and purposely went jogging through the neighborhood by my work one day with his picture in an effort to see what I could find and nada. My three weeks was up, I took him to the doctor and got him started on all his treatments in effort to help with his adoption. While all this was going on my neighbor, an woman in her 70s, fell in love and asked to foster him. After all was said and done, she wound up keeping him. I now see my neighbor and her 'bubba' pass by every morning before work or during my run, hangin out on the porch. He's a good guard dog. Doesn't bark at many people around here but when some solicitors where around the neighborhood, he sure lets everyone know.

My SO and I try to take in strays but with a few rescues already, space is cramped. But if I do see any, I will try to help the best I can. Can't help them all.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 AM

56 posts, read 101,372 times
I kept a stray but it was a puppy, of a stray, born under my neighbors deck. One of 4 that I caught because ACS wouldnt. Seems like most of the strays in my neighborhood are second and third generation strays, ot if they once had owners it was long ago. If I found a stray that seemed socialized and well kept, definitely would seek out an owner.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM

186 posts, read 619,780 times
Every time I see a loose dog (I see them a lot around my neighborhood) I will check it for a collar/tag if it comes near me. I would want others to do the same for my pup (there has been the occasional bolt from the front door chase for her). It makes me very sad when there are no tags on a collar and I don't have time to bring them in to get it checked for a chip.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM

11,166 posts, read 20,482,773 times
I've found a few stray or lost dogs since I moved into my house.

The first one I found was in terrible shape. Her fur was completely matted, she had plants growing out of huge cysts under her skin, she had no bowel control at all. I cleaned her up, drained the cysts and searched for her owner, but had no luck. We waited to see if her bowel control would return with a proper diet, and when it was obvious that it wasn't going to, I tried making diapers for her, but that didn't work. I was going to take her to be put down because of the bowel control problem (it wasn't a training issue, she passed small bits of stool constantly and did not know she was doing it, she also had no feeling in her tail and couldn't wag it), but she dug out of my yard and escaped. I was actually relieved that she got out...the front half of her was such a joyful little dog that I was sad about putting her down, even though the back half was always covered in poop and had a cloud of flies.

The second one I found was a golden retriever. I put up signs and an ad on Craigslist looking for the owner, but had no luck. He started knocking my daughter down all the time, and so I called the golden retriever rescue and (after I sent photos to verify that he was actually a golden retriever) they sent someone to pick him up.

I've found three dogs since then. Two had tags and it was easy to locate the owners. (One of them gave my daughter $20 as a reward...I didn't want a reward and wouldn't have kept it, but my daughter didn't tell me until the lady had left.) The third didn't have tags, but I saw a lost dog sign when I was out riding my bike and found the owner that way.

On the other hand, my own dog dug out of my yard last spring when it rained, and my neighbor down the street kept her and tried to breed her to a pitbull, even though she was spayed. My dog has a distinctive whine that sounds like she's talking, and I heard her when I walked past the neighbor's yard. I went and asked for her back and they said she was their dog and that they'd had her for a long time. I showed them all the pictures I had of my dog and also some distinguishing marks she had that weren't obvious if you weren't familiar with every inch of her, and they said she was still their dog and I couldn't have her back. I told them I'd call the police and they could help us decide who got to keep the dog, and then they gave her back. She was skin and bones, and the other dogs in their yard looked like they were starving too, so I went to Sams and got a huge bag of dog food and took it to them to "thank" them for looking out for my dog when she got out. I never did get her collar back.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,194,906 times
Quote:

Curious to see who does the right thing. What is the right thing?
there is only so much you can do though. put up flyers in the area, contact local vets, flyers at petsmart/co/etc etc, check for microchip.

short of that, if i go through all that work and no one claims him and hes free of a chip? hes mine (felines only, i hate dogs).

right now i have a prego mommacat that appeared on my back patio. she was obviously pregnant and well socialized. shes super friendly, loves to head bump and give tail hugs, uses the litterbox... but i think someone threw her out because she was just beginning to show signs of pregnantness.

now, shes a blimp and due to burst with kitties any day now. ive felt 2 distinctive bumps on both her sides, so im sure shes having at least 2 if not more.

btw anyone want a kitty? will be ready in about 10 weeks! included is rabies shots and an appt at SNAP to get neutered (im currently speaking to my vet about neutering them at 8 weeks, since this seems to be accepted and not harmful to the kitten at all)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio