U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 AM

522 posts, read 990,121 times

Advertisements

"wrecks" seem to imply something serious and while i've heard it a lot in california, accidents, fender-benders and collisions are used just as frequently when appropriate.

my pops and i often called soda "sode-y water" and sandwiches "sangwedges" or "sammiches" but most to be smart-asses.

how often do people up north used the term wicked? or the term major in the uk? i knew a guy from boston who despite no longer having an accent still used the term "wicked" quite frequently. "that was a wicked show last night!"

so here's a question for locals, now that i think about it. what do you call your mother and father? i would imagine it's something more cultural than regional. not being from around here, i still call my father pa or pops (though i just as naturally call him my dad or daddy [being his daughter and all]). my mother has always been mom, mummy, ma or ma'am.

locally the only thing that has stuck out is the "ya'll", which i've found myself using now and then. i will also force an uncomfortable howdy and hola when i when i want to make it obvious i'm not from around here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 AM

7,000 posts, read 10,240,778 times
I was raised here and I don't speak like that at all. The only thing I say is "y'all."

Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 AM

50 posts, read 89,336 times
I haven't heard anyone mention using the word "soft drink" when referring to cokes, sprites, dr pepper, etc.. From Virginia down through much of the southeast, that is what they would say.

Of course, I also pronounce pecan "PEE-can" as all of my eastern North Carolina kin do.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 AM

50 posts, read 89,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
And car accidents here are always 'wrecks'. You rarely hear that back east. Don't know about further West (California, etc.)
We'd call it a wreck in the southeastern states I've lived in. ex: "Did'ya see that bad wreck out on the bypass?"

Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,899,584 times
We say 'hey' here for 'hello' but never to answer the phone.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 AM

897 posts, read 2,614,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
In Texas it is always Coke. Want a Coke? yes. What kind? Big Red.
In Texas it is "y'all. East Coast it's you guys..plurel is yous guys.

That's jest too I no of off hand.

or "Want a Coke?"
"Yes."
"What kind?"
"Real Coke"
"Coke Coke?"
"Yep"

Moderator cut: see comment

Quote:
GlorifiedMalcontent so here's a question for locals, now that i think about it. what do you call your mother and father? i would imagine it's something more cultural than regional. not being from around here, i still call my father pa or pops (though i just as naturally call him my dad or daddy [being his daughter and all]). my mother has always been mom, mummy, ma or ma'am.
My mom - originally from Georgia - always called her father Daddy and her mother Mamma and grandparents were Granddaddy and Grandmamma. My dad - born Texan and proud Aggie - called his parents Papa and Mamma and grandparents Grandpa and Granny.
I called my parents Mommy and Daddy when I was little and Mom and Dad or sometimes Daddy when I got older. My grandparents I called the same as my parents called theirs, depending on which side of the family we were with. My kids use Mom and Dad now that they are older, sometimes tossing in a Mommy or Daddy (just my daughter).
My mom always wanted to be called Grandmamma and you should have seen her face when someone would toss in a Granny or Grandmaw! My mother in law has always been Mom or Grandma that I can remember.

Last edited by Bo; 09-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: A member who speaks Spanish claimed that that word was not PG-13.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 AM

239 posts, read 387,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
or "Want a Coke?"
"Yes."
"What kind?"
"Real Coke"
"Coke Coke?"
"Yep"

lol this reminds of my grandmother. She use to call all sodas coke and all cereals cherrios. I remember when i was little and over at her house she asked me "mijo you want some cherrios? (in my head i was like HELL YES!) ...then she got out the box and it was some crappy oat bran cereal. That was soooo disappointing every time it happened LOL!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM

33 posts, read 130,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
In Texas it is always Coke. Want a Coke? yes. What kind? Big Red.

That's jest too I no of off hand.
Love the Big Red comment. LOL, never heard of big red soda till I moved here. Got to admit it's a huge hit with wife and kids. Needs to be caffeine free though for the kids sake.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 AM

239 posts, read 387,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCountry View Post
Love the Big Red comment. LOL, never heard of big red soda till I moved here. Got to admit it's a huge hit with wife and kids. Needs to be caffeine free though for the kids sake.

Big Red Caffeine free?!?! No way! That is like dating a girl with no arms.................

Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM

469 posts, read 1,024,201 times
Same here. I've never called a soda a coke unless it was a coke lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I was raised here and I don't speak like that at all. The only thing I say is "y'all."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio