U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:59 PM

402 posts, read 282,015 times
We do have them a lot in Fair Oaks (my part anyway), I think I've had about 30 since March. I use a mix that you can find on the Internet, called Demon WP (wet powder), that you mix and spray in your house along baseboards, cracks,etc. You can also spray around the outside of your house. It is odorless and safe. It does not rid you of scorpions but once they cross that line of poison they are usually dead or nearly dead when you encounter them. Once in a while we get a lively one. I think those have fallen through a vent. (Yikes!!!)

I really -ing hate scorpions but at least with the Demon I feel as though I have some peace of mind. The stuff really works. The good news, they don't come around in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 02:04 AM

4,663 posts, read 3,583,446 times
I also recommend Demon WP. I heard Talstar works too. It doesn't have the initial knockdown power of Demon WP, but it lasts longer. Demon WP also kills all of the other bugs that attract scorpions. It's best to kill the food source of arachnids because poison often can't penetrate their exoskeletons. I sprayed Demon WP at work (contract pest control is lazy and cheap) and there wasn't a bug in sight for two weeks until we had a heavy rain and it all washed away. Last year was horrible for scorpions. I haven't seen too many this year or other little creepy crawlies due to the lack of rain.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 AM

359 posts, read 310,496 times
I'm going to have to try that stuff. I have had a surge of them lately and I'm really getting tired of seeing them.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:04 PM

302 posts, read 352,293 times
I live in this area. We saw a scorpion inside last year, called up a local pest control company, and ever since they've been treating our home, we've not seen one since.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 PM

110 posts, read 182,367 times
I didn't know we had scorpions, I've never seen them. Are they deadly? What do you do if you get stung?

Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,498,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddweller View Post
I didn't know we had scorpions, I've never seen them. Are they deadly? What do you do if you get stung?
I wouldn't say you are going to die from a sting, but they are poisonous...

My cousin's son got stung 3 times in the leg from one while he slept and he was fine... However it was a small, light brown scorpion, so the stings were not so bad...

If you get stung however, depending on where you are stung, it will hurt like HECK!!!

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and my sting hurt so bad I almost hyperventilated and yes, I cried, alot... The scorpion that stung me was pretty big and was very dark brown, so it had more kick to it's sting...

My dad's best friend is a doctor and he told my husband to make a paste out of meat tenderizer and water and put it on the sting... I have no idea why but we did, but it hurt so bad I could not tell if it was making a difference or not... The only thing that helped was for me to keep a constant ice pack on the area to keep it sooo numb that I could not feel anything... The minute the ice melted my husband would have to get a new bag full of ice... Needless to say neither of us got very much sleep that night...

Old 09-11-2011, 01:24 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,042,219 times
Quote:
What do you do if you get stung?
You yell like the house is on fire! I won't repeat what to yell.... not wanting to get in to trouble but you can imagine....

That sting HURTS!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 810,113 times
I grew up in the country and got stung several times. I rubbed mustard on it to take the stinger out and then poured white distilled vinegar on it to take the pain away. But then again us country boys are tough and don't cry over a lil bitty scorpion. Try getting bit by a snake. Now that HURTS!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:49 PM

359 posts, read 310,496 times
Quote:
Benadryl and Motrin worked for my son.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:17 PM

110 posts, read 182,367 times
Yikes! hopefully I won't run into any. I was thinking it would be like a bee sting, but I guess not :0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio