Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'm getting sick of the trash around myself. What can be done on a local level? Civic Club? Adopt-a-Highway? Protest in front of the Mayor's office?

We all complain about the trash but what do any of us do?

Nothing.
Any time anyone wants to do so, you can go park off the side of the road and pick up litter. The problem is it'll be back in a couple of weeks.

It's very, very hard to change cultural expectations about whether it's okay to litter or not. Unfortunately the prevailing culture in SA is that it's a-ok to leave a place messier than you found it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 PM

52 posts, read 104,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
It's very, very hard to change cultural expectations about whether it's okay to litter or not. Unfortunately the prevailing culture in SA is that it's a-ok to leave a place messier than you found it.
Unfortunately, it does seem to be a cultural thing, and that is a stubborn thing to change.

In my travels, I have noticed certain places across North America are definitely cleaner than others (San Antonio isn't the only littered place). Across the border into Canada, the roadsides are spotless, nary a Molson bottle or Tim Horton's wrapper in sight. Some of the German settled areas in Pennsylvania (York, Lancaster, etc..) are also very clean with immaculate farms minus the rusting machinery and debris you usually expect to see. The upper Midwest and Pacific Northwest are also pretty tidy too. Has anyone noticed a change as you drive into the Hill Country towns here in Texas? They are also noticeably cleaner than SA.

Maybe a more aggressive display of signage would help here? Put convicted offenders names in the paper or somewhere where they can be shamed?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Well that's another problem, unfortunately....half the offenders can't read the signs, and all of them don't give a damn.

I witnessed a woman toss diapers and other trash in the Nueces river once (seen it many times thru the years actually) ....I got so mad I got out of the truck and asked her why she don't take her trash with her and throw it away when you get to a trash can. Her response was "the water takes it away, so it don't matter"...in broken english. You can't fix stupid.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Yep, the canadian border is spotless...but part of that is because it's the most sparsely populated region of the country.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Her response was "the water takes it away, so it don't matter"...in broken english. You can't fix stupid.
No one is that stupid. She knows damn well the water "takes it away" to somewhere else and it ends up littering the riverbank. She just doesn't care because it's not HER riverbank and she won't have to deal with it.

I mean what can you really do about that kind of ingrained selfishness? Not much.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Another reason why I'm glad New Braunfels passed that ordnance.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:12 PM

52 posts, read 104,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Yep, the canadian border is spotless...but part of that is because it's the most sparsely populated region of the country.
Sorry, I should have been more clear in saying that after crossing the border into Canada everything becomes cleaner. This wasn't confined just to the border areas, I saw it all across southern Ontario and British Columbia too.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japan-virginia View Post
Sorry, I should have been clearing in saying that after crossing the border into Canada everything becomes cleaner. This wasn't confined just to the border areas, I saw it all across southern Ontario and British Columbia too.
Agreed. Canada (British Columbia) was spotless. More pristine than Alaska, too.

But, a lot of the littering problems stem from the kid's parents not setting a good example for them.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
Looks like someone is starting to see the light. SA sucks.
Quit making comments about a city that you haven't lived in for over a year!

It's not the city that sucks, just some of the people; and there are even less of them since a few moved back to California about a year ago...

Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
I just got back from a week in Panama City, Florida and while it has less litter than San Antonio, I still wouldn't want to live there!

Anyone who thinks that our litter problem is unique to SA must not get out much. While it's nothing to be proud of, it's equally common in other cities our size and even worse in many.

Lastly, it is idiotic for anyone to complain about the heat here. Seriously, the heat? It's south-central Texas, and it gets hot. Why that is a surprise, or warrants bitching about, is beyond me. It would be as equally idiotic to move to Alaska and complain about how cold the winters are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio