U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM

581 posts, read 1,035,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoxley View Post
Yes, I really wanted information on apartments and location and crime more so than a lecture on keeping a Husky in an apartment. My son got the dog in college although we counseled him not to, but what's done is done. She is a sweet, I repeat sweet, dog, she has diabetis and is partially blind. There is no one that will take her and who gives away a dog they have grown to love anyway? And we would never ever think of putting her down just because she has an illness like diabetis that can be controlled or because they have moved to a hot state. She is not like most Huskey's. After she goes outside to do her business she comes right back to the door. She does not like to hang around outside and play or run, but she does love to be walked. She will do just fine with my son and his wife and they can walk her together.

My son is also looking at two other apartments if anyone has any information on these two apartments: Camden Westover Hills and Stone Ranch Westover Hills.

Thank you for your assistance.

Co-worker lives in Stone Ranch Westover Hills, she likes it. Says sometimes management can be a pain to deal with. 8 and some change for a 1 bed room. Does have breed restrictions but she's only certain of Belgian Malinois and bully breeds. But it'll be close enough for both. Ft. Sam just down 151 and then 90.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 AM

108 posts, read 163,742 times
Definitely somewhere with easy access to Hwy90. I know several people whose work schedules alternate between both Ft. Sam and Lackland so they chose a happy middle ground...living downtown. Depending on their lifestyle it might be a good option for them. There isn't a downtown grocery store yet, but the city's been working at getting one. In the meanwhile there are two stores that are about a 10-minute drive, the Olmos H-E-B (decent) and Central Market H-E-B (boutique). Or, on their way home, either one of them could go to the on base/post grocery store. Aside from convenient commutes (15 minutes each) they would have access to varied nightlife, walking their dog and jogging along the riverwalk, downtown events, etc.
$800 should be enough for a small 1-bedroom, $1000-1200 for a little bit more space. Both 1221 Broadway (newly built, maybe fully-leased) and Cevallos Lofts (final construction, pre-leasing, going fast) are on the outer-edge of downtown, but are near riverwalk access (recreational-walking/jogging). A more central-downtown location is The Vistana (just over 2yrs old), it is more expensive per square foot. At the Blue Star Arts Complex there is only ONE apartment available for lease right now, it's $1100 for 1095sqft. You can view that apts info on the Centro Properties website Centro Properties
The thing about living downtown is that it's a lifestyle rather than just a roof over your head. Hope this will be helpful. (btw, my screen name is 'novistana' in reference to the vistana apt building since i wrote a negative comment about that apt on this forum. due to the limited number of centrally located apartments downtown, if i were to move downtown again, i would probably move back to that community. as they say, it's location, location, location.)

Old 09-15-2011, 09:55 AM

34 posts, read 65,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novistana View Post
Definitely somewhere with easy access to Hwy90. I know several people whose work schedules alternate between both Ft. Sam and Lackland so they chose a happy middle ground...living downtown. Depending on their lifestyle it might be a good option for them. There isn't a downtown grocery store yet, but the city's been working at getting one. In the meanwhile there are two stores that are about a 10-minute drive, the Olmos H-E-B (decent) and Central Market H-E-B (boutique). Or, on their way home, either one of them could go to the on base/post grocery store. Aside from convenient commutes (15 minutes each) they would have access to varied nightlife, walking their dog and jogging along the riverwalk, downtown events, etc.
$800 should be enough for a small 1-bedroom, $1000-1200 for a little bit more space. Both 1221 Broadway (newly built, maybe fully-leased) and Cevallos Lofts (final construction, pre-leasing, going fast) are on the outer-edge of downtown, but are near riverwalk access (recreational-walking/jogging). A more central-downtown location is The Vistana (just over 2yrs old), it is more expensive per square foot. At the Blue Star Arts Complex there is only ONE apartment available for lease right now, it's $1100 for 1095sqft. You can view that apts info on the Centro Properties website Centro Properties
The thing about living downtown is that it's a lifestyle rather than just a roof over your head. Hope this will be helpful. (btw, my screen name is 'novistana' in reference to the vistana apt building since i wrote a negative comment about that apt on this forum. due to the limited number of centrally located apartments downtown, if i were to move downtown again, i would probably move back to that community. as they say, it's location, location, location.)

Thanks for the reply. I will pass this info on to them. I think they are interested in Camden at Westover Hills, but I will get them to look at your suggestions when I see him this weekend for graduation.

Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:01 AM

108 posts, read 163,742 times
No problem. Camden looks nice, and will probably stretch their dollar further with regard to square footage so it'll feel more luxurious, as well as have a more traditional floorplan and contemporary design, whereas downtown would be loft-like. I forgot to mention that both Cevallos Lofts and Blue Star are near a railroad track so there's that to consider too. As you surely know, it really depends on their desired lifestyle because each option has its compromises.
Camden has convenient shopping, fast food, two HEB grocery stores and a super-Walmart (w/grocery) nearby. I do much of my own grocery shopping at the HEB on 1604/Culebra. During the summer, traffic is sometimes heavier due to Sea Worlds proximity. Rush hour and weekend traffic on 1604 can be frustrating (I'm traffic intolerant) since there are several traffic lights as it's not yet an uninterrupted highway between Hwy90 and Braun Road. A "super-street" was just opened today at one intersection so we'll soon enough see how much it alleviates congestion. It will be easiest to get to Ft. Sam by taking hwy151E to 90E to I-35N, but it will be a 30-45 minute commute (one-way). Since some military personnel have odd shifts this may not be an issue.
Northwest Vista junior-college is 3 miles away, University of Texas at San Antonio is 18 miles north on 1604. Government Canyon State Natural Area is 14 miles away, it's an 8,600-acre park with approx. 39 miles of hike/bike trails, dogs are limited to the front 7 miles of trails (even though their dog is partially blind, I'm sure she'd enjoy the smells of nature). If they're into cycling, they'll be at the foothills of the hill country for some great long rides.
Feel free to message me if ya'll have any specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio