Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:00 AM

34 posts, read 76,259 times

Advertisements

My son and his new wife are moving to San Antonio. One will be stationed at Lackland and the other at Ft. Sam Houston. They were looking online at Club at Stone Oak and Villas at Medical Center. We are also open to suggestions. They would like to keep rent at about $800 a month and they have a dog, a Husky. Anything you can tell me about these apartments or any others in the area, such as problems with rental office personnel, crime, traffic, nearby grocery stores, parks, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
For a tad bit more (1k) they can get a mortgage in a decent subdivision near Lackland (Westover HIlls). Then, they can rent out to other military families when they are ready to leave or go on deployment. Travel time from Westover to Lackland is 10mins and a little more to Ft. Sam. They will get to avoid the bottleneck and traffic on 1604/151. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 AM

They are young and just starting out so they have no money to buy a house at this time. I think they can afford $1,000 but they would feel more comfortable at $800. I just need to know if they can find a place for $800 that won't be in a bad neighborhood or high crime area. In every city there is that threshold of "if you can just pay this much more, then you will be this much better off." Do you know what I mean? Also important is the commute.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,344 times
I have said it before and I will say it again....keeping a dog that size in an apartment is basically considered animal cruelty in Texas.
They should be responsible pet owners and get a house with a yard or get rid of the dog and free up some money.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:37 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
$800 for one bedroom is definitely possible in San Antonio.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the Medical Center unless I had to for work. It's noisy (think sirens and helicoptors all the time) and has lots of traffic. I lived in that area for several years and was glad when I could move out.

Stone Oak will have lots of traffic in the mornings, the only reason I'd want to live in an apartment in Stone Oak is if I wanted my kids to go to the schools there.

I'd probably look around Alamo Heights...it's much nearer to Fort Sam than to Lackland but wouldn't take too long to get to Lackland if you went through downtown and then got on 90 west. Make sure they ask the complexes if they offer a military discount.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again....keeping a dog that size in an apartment is basically considered animal cruelty in Texas.
They should be responsible pet owners and get a house with a yard or get rid of the dog and free up some money.
I disagree...keeping a Husky outdoors in our weather is animal cruelty. If the dog is walked often and spends the rest of the time indoors, that's probably more comfortable than being stuck out in a yard all the time.

But looking for a small house to rent wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I disagree...keeping a Husky outdoors in our weather is animal cruelty. If the dog is walked often and spends the rest of the time indoors, that's probably more comfortable than being stuck out in a yard all the time.

But looking for a small house to rent wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I agree as well. I'm about as a responsible pet owner you will find and even though I do have a yard , keeping the dog outside a majority of the day in this heat is much, much worse then keeping one cramped up in an apartment. Even though dogs, well animals in general, can withstand a lot, spending everyday in the heat even with water and shade is torture. Mine spend most of their time indoors because it's just too hot outside for them. They're let out in the later evening to do their business and what not and brought back in for lights out. I run or walk with them in the morning. When I did live in an apartment and I had one, an American Staffordshire Terrier, I would run with him in the morning and then go on a longer walk in the evening or to a park. Since he slept most of the day anyways, he was inside and just fine. A Husky or any dog of size just needs plenty of exercise, once in morning and night. Then they'll be good.

Sorry, back on topic, as far as apartments, I really wouldn't know since once I got out of the service, I purchased a home. But a good amount of places offer military discounts so have them ask for those and ask about the pet policy. Some places my view Huskys as an agressive breed and won't rent to him. Some places have weight restrictions on pets. MY sisters former place, La Jolla Appartments off of I10 and Huebner, did. I would agree with Alamo Heights area. Closer to Ft. Sam but a straight shot to Lackland by 90.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Care to enlighten us as to what Texas statute or state law your are quoting from?

If you are going to stand on your soapbox at least bring along some facts so the OP can make an intelligent decision.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:38 AM

Yes, I really wanted information on apartments and location and crime more so than a lecture on keeping a Husky in an apartment. My son got the dog in college although we counseled him not to, but what's done is done. She is a sweet, I repeat sweet, dog, she has diabetis and is partially blind. There is no one that will take her and who gives away a dog they have grown to love anyway? And we would never ever think of putting her down just because she has an illness like diabetis that can be controlled or because they have moved to a hot state. She is not like most Huskey's. After she goes outside to do her business she comes right back to the door. She does not like to hang around outside and play or run, but she does love to be walked. She will do just fine with my son and his wife and they can walk her together.

My son is also looking at two other apartments if anyone has any information on these two apartments: Camden Westover Hills and Stone Ranch Westover Hills.

Thank you for your assistance.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
I'd look at oakwell farms. You want to be closer to ft. Sam than lackland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio