Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times

Advertisements

I can all but guarantee the steaks I grill myself are better than anything you can buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
I can all but guarantee the steaks I grill myself are better than anything you can buy.

Juan, are we good for lunch?

I love a good steak! What is your secret?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,692 times
Oh, c'mon, every single thread about steak or BBQ some dude has to chime in about how much better his stuff is.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,134 times
Default The Best..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Quite right...The best ones are the ones that come off my pit when I'm "Q"ing. I marinate mine with a bit of worchestershire or pica peppa..then a sprinkle of steak seasoning..don't even need steak sauce when they're ready to feast on. For $100.00 at those other places they better bring me the whole cow. No steak is that good...at least IMO..so there.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:55 AM

226 posts, read 865,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Quite right...The best ones are the ones that come off my pit when I'm "Q"ing. I marinate mine with a bit of worchestershire or pica peppa..then a sprinkle of steak seasoning..don't even need steak sauce when they're ready to feast on. For $100.00 at those other places they better bring me the whole cow. No steak is that good...at least IMO..so there.
Isn't "Q"ing banned by the city ATM though?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Mark Bohanan's steakhouse is truly the best rated in town (and throughout the state). It's an expensive, but worth it kind of meal. Great service. Inventive, fresh menu. And best of all, it's not a chain, so it focuses on making the dish truly great versus following chain protocol. He also has some of the freshest, flown-in-daily, East-coast cold water seafood. His lobsters beat the pants off of what The Palm is serving. Albeit, they're more expensive per pound, but if you're out for 'the best,' then there's really no other competition.

The Palm is hit or miss- All depends on who's grilling that day. I've had great meals there. I've had terrible meals there. Their new push towards upping the service and style ante is fantastic. New menu, china, wine list, 837 offerings, etc.

Flemings is alright, but I don't like their cramped dining room. Going once was enough for me.

Kirbys (if it's still open) in Stone Oak was good the few times I went. Not a fan of the ultra-low lighting there, but the steak was quality and cooked perfectly.

Morton's is not worth the price, not here in San Antonio. The only Mortons worth going to is the original in Chicago.

The whole Kobe/Akaushi thing is really just silly marketing. When in Asia and you're offered Kobe, it's never in a full-sized steak portion, as it's so incredibly rich (much like eating a stick of butter) that one can only eat very little of it. Offering something as 'Kobe' in a ribeye or filet size is silly and likely not truly authentic Kobe. Most are 'Kobe-style,' which are domestically raised Wagyu cattle crossbred with Angus. Not that it's not great steak, but it's nothing like authentic Asian Wagyu Kobe.

BN

Last edited by BenjaminNicholas; 09-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Kobe/Akaushi clarification

Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times
Bohanons.

But at home I wanted to make this comment.
I shop at the Alon Market and they get a carcass of Kobe beef about once every 6 weeks. I have tried the Kobe ribeye at $35/lb twice and it was great. I tried the kobe sirloin at $18/lb and it was ok.
But i usually get the "Prime 1" ribeye which is usually $14/lb and it is almost the same as the Kobe in both taste and tenderness. The Kobe is extremely tender and many would call it greasy (when it is raw..there is more white than red), but I dont feel it is worth paying more than double in price. It is is better than Prime, but not much. BTW the Kobe Tenderloin is $48/lb.

And for those that are curious...I use a natural gas grill that is hooked up to my gas main on my house. The pit I have is about 15 years old and it has never been cleaned...so it seasoned to perfection. The actual grill is made of cast iron and each "bar" in the is about 1 inch wide and they only run front to back. There is a slight groove in each one and it is inclined in the back..so most of the grease drains to the front of the grill and prevents flare ups. I dont know why more grills arent' made this way.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,381 times
I'll second Bohanan's. Ordered "off-menu" and my steak (bone-in ribeye) was fantastic. Well worth the $$$. As for service? I had zero complaints. As a matter of fact, I wanted to combine two appetizer dishes (oysters on half shell and smoked salmon) in a very special way (thinly-sliced salmon on top of each oyster with a little wasabi for extra flavor) and they happily obliged. I was very impressed...not many places will do that these days.

--Dim

Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,134 times
Default "Q"ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Near Shamu View Post
Isn't "Q"ing banned by the city ATM though?
I didn't know there was such a ban...I am considered Converse so if there is I don't think it applies...Matter of factly I think I'll "Q" some steaks this weekend just because...rain or shine...

Old 09-15-2011, 12:38 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,121 times
for a restaurant, Bohanan's is the best in the city.

The rest would go something like this:

Palm (chain)
Ruth's Chris (chain)
Morton's (chain)
Flemmings. (chain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio