U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Let us hope that it is. Our local music scene is definitely taking shape. Trains please.
I second that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,792 times
Keep San Antonio Lame!!! Living here my entire life, and also Austin for school, trust me SA is nowhere near Austin. Austin was ranked second behind Portland for one of the fittest cities in the US. San Antonio is probably near the bottom of that list.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,238,825 times
I agree with the other posters. There are cultural aspects to San Antonio that will always make it unique. Technological progress is inevitable for a city our size and it's not going to drastically change the underlying culture. The transportation needs of the working class people in San Antonio (and we have a lot) are largely being ignored. Even middle class people are going to wish we had invested more in public transportation once our population growth causes mass traffic congestion. The U.S. now has a knowledge-based economy that requires postsecondary education and technological savvy. San Antonio is going to have to keep up or it's going to end up like the cities in the Valley. A former city councilwoman said that if our current dropout rate continues, our collective education level will be similar to that of a third world city.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:27 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
It amazes me how many SA haters there are....folks, if it's THAT bad - move! If all you can do is badmouth a place, then for Pete's sake - go someplace that'll make you happy. SA isn't perfect - no place is - but it's far from the pit ya'll go to such great lengths to paint it. Some of you remind me of old, bitter women always complaining about the younger ones - it's purely an attempt to make others as miserable as themselves.
I didn't like the direction I saw SA was heading, so we DID move further out. It doesn't mean that I don't like and appreciate the many good things (and people) that SA has to offer, nor that I need to tear it down at every opportunity.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 AM

522 posts, read 990,051 times
why is it that when people point out the weak points of san antonio, they are branded as haters? san antonio has problems, big ones, but it also has a lot of potential and a lot of people interested in seeing it progress into the twenty first century. i love my home state, and i loved living in all the cities i've lived in, but my god they had their own awful problems too, and i will not be shy to point it out as well. san antonio boasts being a shining beacon of growth in a rotten economy. if it wants to live up to that title, a little progress else where in city planning, transportation, etc would be nice. i personally think talking about what need improvement is a good thing. it keep people thinking about it instead of sweeping it under the rug and saying "good enough". and wanting good things for sa doesn't mean turning it into this city or that. how can you not note the poor state of education? how can you not note the straining transportation infrastructure?

i wish i could just pat san antonio on the back and say "good job!" because, yes, there's some amazing things about san antonio that i have never experienced in other cities, and plenty of things i will miss when i am gone. but san antonio needs some tough love now and then.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:06 AM

3,141 posts, read 5,160,486 times
I think the claim that San Antonio is becoming more progressive would apply mostly in terms of the direction City leaders are taking us, rather than cultural changes.

Examples would include things like the light rail discussion, banning smoking in public areas, banning sugar-containing beverages from City employee vending machines, adding "domestic partner" eligibility to City employee insurance plans.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:08 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,077,375 times
Quote:
I've lived here I've seen so many sharp, educated, worldly people give it a try because of the lower cost of living here, and ultimately move on given the dead vibe here.
Quote:
folks, if it's THAT bad - move!
That is so correct, I am one of those people here ready to move out and move on after all my schooling is finished and all the economic recession is finished so if there comes the Right Job in the Right Place then I am going. San Antonio is going to need tons of tough love to move out and move on in terms of education and transportation.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:14 AM

No, sir - San Antonio deserves respect. You don't improve something by tearing it down - you lead, work on and pull it/them into the direction. Slamming it, denigrating it - all those are actions of disdain.

You see transportation as an issue. So do I - but let me tell you something - light rail/streetcars is NOT going to be an answer. Period. Because this city's very structure says "no" to such a scheme. Light rail requires MAJOR population centers going to MAJOY employment hubs to operate efficiently and with a modicum of financial success. We don't have that - and given the dynamics of the city, it's dubious that we ever will. Not saying it's good or bad - it is what it is, and putting a dress on a pig ain't gonna make it your aunt.
From a cost-benefit standpoint, Buses are likely the best answer, because the infrastructure requirements are already largely in place, and as population/employment centers shift, they can shift with them without requiring major railbed relocation.
And all the push for riding trails and "bike friendly". Ummmmm....excuse me, folks - in case you haven't noticed, this IS San Antonio - I don't know about the rest of you, but I do NOT want to be in a meeting on an August morning sitting next to someone that rode their bike 15 miles in to work.....

Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I think the claim that San Antonio is becoming more progressive would apply mostly in terms of the direction City leaders are taking us, rather than cultural changes.

Examples would include things like the light rail discussion, banning smoking in public areas, banning sugar-containing beverages from City employee vending machines, adding "domestic partner" eligibility to City employee insurance plans.
Right on the money. Good distinction there.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:24 AM

Yes, sir....telling other folks how to live their lives...that's "progressive".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio