Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,393,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Yes, sir....telling other folks how to live their lives...that's "progressive".
What about the conservatives and bible thumpers who number in the millions who forcefully preach, judge, and condemn anyone in this country who doesn't follow "their religion"?

They ARE ALSO telling folks "how to live their lives" as well if not MORESO than real and actual progressives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:12 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,925,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Having been born and raised here I fret over the thought that certain community leaders are pushing and shoving us old timers into the new age.
I like the way SA has carved out its own personality and I reject attempts to make San Antonio into another San Fransisco or Austin. We need to stay original. No Metro trains, etc.
SA lacks a significant base of educated ppl and progressive ideas. It could NEVER rival Austin or SF.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:12 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,745,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
What about the conservatives and bible thumpers who number in the millions who forcefully preach, judge, and condemn anyone in this country who doesn't follow "their religion."

They ARE ALSO telling folks "how to live their lives" as well if not MORESO than real and actual progressives.
ah....so, when someone you disagree with does it, it's wrong - but if you agree, it's okay? Got a news flash for you - they're every bit as wrong!

There's also a great majority of both sides that have the respect and self control necessary to agree to disagree and work towards common goals - which is as it should be. There are some issues that are simply faith (or non-faith) based, and in those instances, it should be those directly affected that get involved.

And right after my earlier comments, I read the article in the E-N's about the bus "population" downtown during peak rush hours. I had no idea there were so many running through town! IF the volume is, in fact, justified by ridership (not just because someone thinks that running a bus to carry 3 people is "needed"), then maybe it IS time to look at a solution....but it's not going to be at street level IMO. Think about it - if a bus (which is fairly nimble) traffic pattern is heavy, any other surface transport is going to be just as obtrusive IMO.

It may well be time to look at either elevated or underground transport in downtown. Get the heaviest congestion alleviated, and plan for growth options into the future (i.e., a centralized dispersal point that could be extended to the medical center, etc.). Thing is, it'd have to be done with extreme caution - because folks tend to get extravagant when spending other folks' money. It could easily turn into a boondoggle - so tight overwatch will be needed.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
SA lacks educated ppl and progressive ideas. It could NEVER rival Austin or SF.
Ah, yes.....Austin is an excellent example of urban planning - unless you're in traffic during rush hour......sounds to me like rather than passing more ordinances/laws/rules, they should have focussed more on transportation...

Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 AM

810 posts, read 1,418,677 times
There is nothing wrong with a city having character or historical/cultural richness. The problem is the lack of ability to adapt or accept change and think everything is just fine. San Antonio will always maintain its historical/cultural richness but needs to accept change which starts with the right mindset. Unfortunately, that is what a lot of the locals don’t have.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,098 times
Quote:
No, sir - San Antonio deserves respect.
No. San Antonio needs to EARN respect. Respect is earned in life and this city has been fairly content with moving sideways, not up, for a very long time. Just because we're reproducing like rabbits and making this city larger doesn't mean we're making it better.

Being critical of this town isn't being a 'hater.' Anyone who's ever lived in a major city knows that without proper criticism, nothing ever gets done. In a world where partisan politics are king, it's the media and people who keep pushing those in power to make real decisions. Would you rather just see SA keep growing, uncontrolled, with a city council that publicly answers their cell phones while in the middle of meetings? Or, perhaps, continue on with a pushover mayor, who, unlike his predecessor, seems to talk a lot but never actually gets anything done.

No, you wouldn't. You want results... We all do. Criticism can do that. It's begins the discussion for progress. Positive progress.

As for this city being bike friendly: This isn't about how you (an obvious non-bike rider) and how you feel about someone biking to work... It's about an eco-friendly, fit way to get from point a to point b. As a Southtowner, I've seen what proper support for bike lanes can do for a neighborhood. It's awesome. Love seeing so many folks in my neck of the woods getting out of their cars, burning some calories and cycling around.

BN

Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,324,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
No. San Antonio needs to EARN respect. Respect is earned in life and this city has been fairly content with moving sideways, not up, for a very long time. Just because we're reproducing like rabbits and making this city larger doesn't mean we're making it better.

Being critical of this town isn't being a 'hater.' Anyone who's ever lived in a major city knows that without proper criticism, nothing ever gets done. In a world where partisan politics are king, it's the media and people who keep pushing those in power to make real decisions. Would you rather just see SA keep growing, uncontrolled, with a city council that publicly answers their cell phones while in the middle of meetings? Or, perhaps, continue on with a pushover mayor, who, unlike his predecessor, seems to talk a lot but never actually gets anything done.

No, you wouldn't. You want results... We all do. Criticism can do that. It's begins the discussion for progress. Positive progress.

As for this city being bike friendly: This isn't about how you (an obvious non-bike rider) and how you feel about someone biking to work... It's about an eco-friendly, fit way to get from point a to point b. As a Southtowner, I've seen what proper support for bike lanes can do for a neighborhood. It's awesome. Love seeing so many folks in my neck of the woods getting out of their cars, burning some calories and cycling around.

BN
BN, this city has had the same problems since even before Henry Cisneros was mayor. I hope that you are right, that change for the better can happen as the result of raising our voices to be heard...but ultimately, I fear it won't happen, at least not for a very long, long time.

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 09-25-2011 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: *change to before

Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 PM

944 posts, read 2,032,409 times
Quote:
You don't improve something by tearing it down - you lead, work on and pull it/them into the direction. Slamming it, denigrating it - all those are actions of disdain.
It seems like our military would disagree. They certainly do tear you down before building you back up.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
It seems like our military would disagree. They certainly do tear you down before building you back up.
Complete apples and oranges.....as we both well know, eh?

Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,014,793 times
First of all you it is an insult to San Francisco to put Austin on the same plane. Secondly,Austin is not as progressive as one thinks unless you call the frat party & whole food mentality progressive. SA is culturally head and shoulders above Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio