U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,922,379 times

Advertisements

San Antonio might not be Austin, Austin might not be San Francisco, but some of us do aspire to progress. We have changed in a few good ways since the 1980s.

I also would not begrudge gy2020 his opinion since he might be better informed on our history and have more experience as a citizen of this city than most other posters. His sentiment is honest and if he was more comfortable in our greatly more conservative past then that is his right. There is a sadness to it but I cannot help in delight in his complaints because it does mean we are more liberal and progressive than before.

Maybe not as liberal or progressive as Austin or San Francisco but more than before and honestly the only fair comparison that should be made is to our own past and not other cities. Still it is nice to hear how we are doing compared to them.

Also for those who do not like it there are two choices that can be made. Leave or stay and invest in the future by supporting change. I don't see the need to insult others especially other posters for their opinions which are grounded in their experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,723,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I think the claim that San Antonio is becoming more progressive would apply mostly in terms of the direction City leaders are taking us, rather than cultural changes.

Examples would include things like the light rail discussion, banning smoking in public areas, banning sugar-containing beverages from City employee vending machines, adding "domestic partner" eligibility to City employee insurance plans.
GED: That is exactly what I was talking about. I am glad to see all the comments this thread has created. Nice work group.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,229,271 times
[quote=eastontracks;21034687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
San Francisco is kind of overrated (a lot like Austin). However, I can tell you I'd rather live in Austin than San Francisco. They both have their good sides and their bad, but Austin still has far better (friendlier, for sure) people, even with all the da*ned transplants, most of whom are from

I'm here now in sf and it blows Austin outta the water. The only city in CA that could compare to Austin in the slightest might be San Diego but def not sf. Sf has awesome subway and rail system, water, huge hills and different and larger architecture and buildings. The other poster was right about austinites convinicing themselves being just as great as la, NYC or sf. they're not, especially all the hipsters there, they get on my nerves and try so hard to put up a front.

Austin is a great place, but people are just as friendly out west.

SA could have maybe some potential for progress. Idk why the op is against metro rail. The city's behind though, but there are characteristics I like that exists. Unfortunately I'm one of those that left town and won't come back until more changes occur.

I think you missed the part of my post where I...uh...never compared the two. LOL. I just said SF was overrated, which it is. I also said Austin is overrated as well. That doesn't mean they're awful, it's just that people make a lot of stuff out of very little. I then said I'd rather live in Austin because people are friendlier, which they are. As far as anything with infrastructure, city benefits, etc I never really said anything about any of that...

Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,433,964 times
Depending on one's outlook ANYWHERE could look more friendly then where you live...

What's the old saying?

The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence

Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
they finally expanded 35, though it didnt alleviate the traffic as much as they hoped. its still a nightmare compared to anything here, even 1604.

ill take SA traffic over austin traffic anyday

austin has like.. 4 things to do:

zilker gardens/parks
downtown / 6th street
UT campus (shopping)
a few crappy malls.

SA has that and then some. granted, sa is a sh*thole on 3 sides of town, but if you can get over that (as i have), its really a nice, friendly place to live.

id never settle here though and the only reason the missus and i are still here is our gov't healthcare, dental, vision, pension, 401k, etc..
I couldn't agree more. Specifically, the Northwest, Northcentral and Northeast sides of town.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 AM

74 posts, read 207,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I couldn't agree more. Specifically, the Northwest, Northcentral and Northeast sides of town.
I think the poster meant the south......oh, I see what you did there. Nice!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:27 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,196,692 times
Quote:
wrong. south/east/west sides and maybe parts of NW. NC and NE are godsends compared to the s/e/w sides.

Moderator cut: See Comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Off Topic

Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,879,277 times
Quote:
wrong. south/east/west sides and maybe parts of NW. NC and NE are godsends compared to the s/e/w sides.

Moderator cut: See Comment
I guess it all depends on what you like. If you like traffic conjestion, cookie cutter subdivsions, same old one out of a million franchise businesses too choose from and a no history plastic feel to it type of existance then I guess the northside bubble is for you. I would say live and let live if you were not squatting right over our aquifer and shipping you excessive trash to other parts of town so you don't have to deal with it.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Updated quoted text

Old 09-26-2011, 01:40 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,196,692 times
Quote:
I guess it all depends on what you like. If you like traffic conjestion, cookie cutter subdivsions, same old one out of a million franchise businesses too choose from and a no history plastic feel to it type of existance then I guess the northside bubble is for you. I would say live and let live if you were not squatting right over our aquifer and shipping you excessive trash to other parts of town so you don't have to deal with it.
uhm yeah, 78209 is nothing like what you described, but go ahead and continue your rant against the nicer sides of town

Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,342,901 times
Quote:
uhm yeah, 78209 is nothing like what you described, but go ahead and continue your rant against the nicer sides of town

Let's not mince words here:
You admittedly live on the very EDGE of 09. It's not like you're living at The Patterson and rubbing elbows with Red McCombs and his ilk.

Agree 1000% with SnappyBob regarding the brash corpulance that much of the 'nicer sides of town' are pandering to. They're boring. They're cookie-cutter. If you think living in a Levittown-esque subdivision is life, then fine, but it's certainly not my idea of really living.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio