U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,194,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Just for the record, I correctly assumed. As you can see Dextercat confirmed my assumtion here.
sorry you live on a bad side of town

Moderator cut: See Comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-07-2011 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks are not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas but we do not attack the speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:18 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Yes, actually, you do. Constantly.
I tried to keep it cordial, but you couldn't do that. Grow up.

Moderator cut: See Comment

BN

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-07-2011 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks are not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas but we do not attack the speaker.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l210 View Post
while i do enjoy living on the ne/nc side, i wouldn't brag about living on the edge of 78209. There are plenty of poor sections outside of alamo heights and terrell hills. Judging by what one member pays in rent, i can tell he lives in one of those poor sections. My aunt used to live in one of the poor sections of 78209. She was on section 8 like many others in the neighborhood and she had mice. The ne side is not perfect; perrin beitel is starting to develop a reputation for drugs and gun violence.

+1

bn

Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,733,740 times
Gee, we started having a discussion about the pros and cons what distinguishes SA from Austin. Now, we're attacking each other for having an opinion about their personal experiences on what side of town is best for them. I can just hear the laughter coming from those from the Austin forum.

Here's my 2 cents: Austin is not as liberal as people think. SA is not as conservative as people think (despite some of the bigoted posts on the SA forum). Just because we have come into the 21st century with smoking bans, benefits for domestic partners of city workers, "discussions" of metro rails, etc., still does not mean we should be comparing ourselves to our Route 35 counterparts. Everyone already knows Austin is a younger, fitter, wealthier, more educated city. This is nothing new. Statistically, SA is still one of the fattest, dumbest, major cities in America. I'm not disrespecying SA, just stating the facts. You know what? I still love it here. If I want to go to Austin, I'll just drive an hour up Route 35. No big deal. I like Austin. Please, though, don't panic just because SA is coming into the 21st Century. Austin and SA are still apples and oranges. Respect SA for the good things it has to offer. I know I have ranted in the past on how "ghetto" it is becoming, but I wouldn't be upset about it if I didn't care about it. So, relax everyone. SA is not becoming Austin lite.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,271,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Gee, we started having a discussion about the pros and cons what distinguishes SA from Austin. Now, we're attacking each other for having an opinion about their personal experiences on what side of town is best for them. I can just hear the laughter coming from those from the Austin forum.

Here's my 2 cents: Austin is not as liberal as people think. SA is not as conservative as people think (despite some of the bigoted posts on the SA forum). Just because we have come into the 21st century with smoking bans, benefits for domestic partners of city workers, "discussions" of metro rails, etc., still does not mean we should be comparing ourselves to our Route 35 counterparts. Everyone already knows Austin is a younger, fitter, wealthier, more educated city. This is nothing new. Statistically, SA is still one of the fattest, dumbest, major cities in America. I'm not disrespecying SA, just stating the facts. You know what? I still love it here. If I want to go to Austin, I'll just drive an hour up Route 35. No big deal. I like Austin. Please, though, don't panic just because SA is coming into the 21st Century. Austin and SA are still apples and oranges. Respect SA for the good things it has to offer. I know I have ranted in the past on how "ghetto" it is becoming, but I wouldn't be upset about it if I didn't care about it. So, relax everyone. SA is not becoming Austin lite.
Nothing factual at all to what your claiming.

Austin is more educated than SA, Houston and Big D, the big three have about the same perecentage of college graduates. As far as being wealthier and more fit, Austin is in the same boat, the obesity index is not much lower at all. Wealth wise S.A. and Austin have comprable per capita incomes, S.A. is more affordable, so it would have a higher disposable income. So in essence their pretty much equal wealth wise. There is more wealth in Houston and Dallas.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,288,234 times
You can't really go by per capita income because there could be huge wealth disparity. A place with a lot of extremely wealthy people and really poor people can have the same per capita income as a place with a lot of middle income residents. The median income is more telling.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,271,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You can't really go by per capita income because there could be huge wealth disparity. A place with a lot of extremely wealthy people and really poor people can have the same per capita income as a place with a lot of middle income residents. The median income is more telling.

Austin supposedly has the higher median family income of all Texas cities. I wonder how they caculate that. The 2010 metro personal income for SA is more than 13 Billion dollars more than metro Austin, up from 11 billion in 2009. An that is compaing a similar size total workforce. If anything San Antonio is more middle class. Poverty rates, SA is slightly higher than Austin, but not by a whole lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio