Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Sounds easy in theory. Problem is, we need a whole lotta these weird little green papers. I see them all the time.....they keep leaving my hand for some reason & I get nothing in return! (especially with women )

Seriously, though, we needed cheap solutions & the Super Street was relatively cheap. Problem is with the light timings.
No, I wasn't trying to say it would be easy at all. Or that it was feasible currently given the costs. I'm just pointing out that it's the ideal solution - you wouldn't have to get antsy at 5 min. reds with no cross traffic, and MMM wouldn't have to take a principled stand that makes it sound like he wouldn't run the red if it stayed that way for an hour lest he break the law.

Last edited by Backliteyes; 09-26-2011 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Actually there is some truth in reducing traffic signals and other elements from roads to make them safer! Posted this before. Here it is again. It has nothing whatsoever to do with anarchy...but with research.

Quote:
In the last decade or so, a few iconoclasts have begun making streets more hazardous—narrowing them, reducing visibility, and removing curbs, center lines, guardrails, and even traffic signs and signals. These roads, research shows, are home to significantly fewer crashes and traffic fatalities.
Outside In: Street Smarts | Psychology Today

The way to stop Soviet from running that red light is to build a strip club at that intersection. He will be too busy looking to see if a stripper walks out he will miss the green light two or three times. That or one of the bikini beer garages where they sit outside on a highchair.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Actually there is some truth in reducing traffic signals and other elements from roads to make them safer! Posted this before. Here it is again. It has nothing whatsoever to do with anarchy...but with research.

Outside In: Street Smarts | Psychology Today

The way to stop Soviet from running that red light is to build a strip club at that intersection. He will be too busy looking to see if a stripper walks out he will miss the green light two or three times. That or one of the bikini beer garages where they sit outside on a highchair.
SO TRUE! I do love the ladies of the night......now if only I could take one home with me!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 AM

502 posts, read 934,091 times
Lol at putting people in danger! Ever been on this road around said time? It's dead! Now let's say if op runs the light around 5pm then yes he is a jack ass! But this is not the case... I'm tired of people quoting "the law is the law" our laws and justice system are severly broken and is just one big money making machine!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Yeah, that's why we never seen bad accidents at night on the roads around here!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
Wanna really confuse people in our fair city? Check this out--The Converging Diamond intersection

Home - The Diverging Diamond Interchange Website

Very cool, actually. Take people from one side of the road to the "wrong side" at key points along the way. Minimal traffic lights, no need for huge interchanges, etc.

--Dim

Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Luckily for the revenue generators, there are still a few ignorant fools to fill their trough..

As a motorcycle rider, I am well aware of how jacked up a LOT of the lights are around here and I run several on a routine basis. I also call them in and they get fixed eventually, but fail again after a little while also. One of my biggest complaints about this city are the traffic lights and I've probably called in more broke ones than any one person should have to, but obviously maintenance and checkups are two foreign words to the city workers responsible for accomplishing that.

Trying to find the web page where you can report problems, but they either moved it or my brain isn't fully functioning yet. I'll look again later on, but there is one and I've posted it in the CD-SA section before.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:13 PM

40 posts, read 155,541 times
I'm kind of changing the subject here...but I just have to say that I LOVE the new super street on 1604 from Shaenfield to Bandera because what used to take me 10 minutes to get through takes me less than 5 to get through now during rush hour...yes, it may be a pain in the butt for those of you turning onto 1604, but if I'm being honest...I don't care too much because my drive has become better!

Nah I'm just kidding, it does suck for y'all, but just call 3-1-1!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityTiger View Post
I'm kind of changing the subject here...but I just have to say that I LOVE the new super street on 1604 from Shaenfield to Bandera because what used to take me 10 minutes to get through takes me less than 5 to get through now during rush hour...yes, it may be a pain in the butt for those of you turning onto 1604, but if I'm being honest...I don't care too much because my drive has become better!

Nah I'm just kidding, it does suck for y'all, but just call 3-1-1!
I have to agree, because of an event at work I didn't leave until 4:15. Normally I would avoid 1604 like the so-called "BBQ" at Bill Miller's, but since these new lights went up I decided to see how things worked.

Well, I was very impressed! Sure, there's still a slowdown where 151 meets 1604, and again down near the Shaenfield intersection; but the traffic was nowhere near as bad as it used to be!

Before the superstreet was implemented, it wasn't uncommon for northbound traffic to be backed up as far as the Culebra overpass. Now it moves all the way through past Braun with a lot less congestion.

The bottom line is this new traffic pattern works! If that means the small minority that want to turn have to wait a bit longer to allow the volume of traffic to flow, then so be it. It's for the greater good.

But now it makes me wonder why in this effort to reduce the number of traffic lights in this area, there is an increase in lights just south on the same stretch of road. The addition of the light at Emory Peak is ridiculous, why can't those people drive the 0.6 miles south to the light at Marbach before turning north? It is what people in the area of the superstreet are subjected to do, and it would allow traffic to flow unimpeded from Marbach all the way to Potranco. The elimination of this light would benefit the greater good as well, instead of a select few who would be subjected to a whooping 39 second drive (according to GoogleMaps) to the turnaround at Marbach!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 PM

229 posts, read 473,700 times
I too am happy about the 1604 super street. Coming home is a breeze now and for the record, I come off of New Guilbeau in the morning and will GLADLY sit at the light for a couple extra minutes so I can then breeze southbound.

I still am not sold on the "exit" for the 1604 to 151 intersection, but I guess we'll see soon.

Speaking of traffic... What the hell was the point of creating a lone left-turn lane at Old Tezel and New Guilbeau to only remove it a month later? Not only to mention the less than a year old sidewalk that was destroyed to add the left turn lane that is perpendicular to that intersection?!? I really don't understand TxDot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio