Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,836 times

Advertisements

78209, not 2009 (well, I hope not!).
I'm interested in horror stories/"these guys were amazing" stories/tips/tricks/contacts for anyone in the 'mo Heights area who has had remodeling done recently (within the past year or so). I'm looking at a bathroom remodel, and would welcome any advice. I have plenty of lead time (we're gonna have to get the house releveled first) and am slightly overwhelmed by the vast array of choices. I don't want a fly-by-night unlicensed/uninsured/unskilled contractor-those are nothing but heartbreak-I want someone with a solid record, references, skill, who has no problem with outside inspectors and handling permits.
The company I see in the area a lot recently is Casa Linda... anyone have any stories to share about them or others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 PM

52 posts, read 335,888 times
Well, I've never used a contractor and try and do all my work myself so I couldn't reccomend any for you. Plus I live 1200 miles away. However I can give you some pointers on findidng a contractor. One thing you've already done is look for references. Solicit at least three bids. They should all be fairly close. For example contractor A may quote $5000, B may quote $5200, and C may quote $4700. In the above case get references from the contractors. Ask if they have taken any pictures of thier work and ask to see them if they have. Also check any state or local contractor boards to make sure they are liscened and have no unresolved complaints. If all things check out, the general rule is to take the bid in the middle. Now, to take the above scenario, say contractor C comes back with $1500. Run. If two other reputable contractors come up with an amount close to eachother and another comes back extremely higher or lower, he's either skimping on the work or really over charging you.

Also ask plenty of questions. Is everything included in the bid? Things like pulling permits, waiting for the inspector to show up to sign off on the work, final clean up. Making sure that your carpet and flooring in the rooms leading to the work area will be protected from damage. If the flooring does become damaged will they clean or repair it? If there's something you don't understand, ask. I never get upset if someone asks me why I have to do something a certain way. Just be polite. For example, "Whay do you have to add another circuit all the way from my panel?" I may say, "Because you need a dedicated GFCI for the whirlpool tub. I Just can't tap an existing circuit. It needs to have it's own breaker because of the current draw while its in operation." If the contractor gets upset or refuses to answer your questions, boot him off your property and find someone else. Ask how much change orders will cost before you approve the change. And don't under any circumstance pay all of the money upfront. They'll usually ask you to pay in thirds or during certain stages of completion. If your using a general contractor that subs out things like plumbing and electrical, see if you can find out if he's ever screwed his subs over. If he pulls one over on subs, he'll pull one over on you.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Great advice LV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio