U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM

409 posts, read 398,357 times
Default BBQ Plates Sales...Rules and Regs?

Anyone know where I can get info on code compliance setting up a BBQ pit selling food plates in front of businesses, in my front yard, etc? Some friends and I are thinking about it but want to do it in accordance with rules and regulations that would apply but not sure on who to check with. Any information would be helpful. Thanx...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,160,996 times
If you're in the city limits, I think you everything you need to know can be found here.

If you still have questions, contact San Antonio Metropolitan Health District.

Cheers! M2

Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 PM

5,333 posts, read 5,170,342 times
Check the info for mobile venders, that's what you'd be considered.
San Antonio Metropolitan Health District

Pretty much, you can't sell anything that was cooked in your home kitchen.

I don't think the city has updated their website to mention the cottage food law that TX passed this year. It's now legal in TX to sell homemade baked goods like cakes, cookies and breads, but the transaction has to take place at your home.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:52 PM

409 posts, read 398,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Check the info for mobile venders, that's what you'd be considered.
San Antonio Metropolitan Health District

Pretty much, you can't sell anything that was cooked in your home kitchen.

I don't think the city has updated their website to mention the cottage food law that TX passed this year. It's now legal in TX to sell homemade baked goods like cakes, cookies and breads, but the transaction has to take place at your home.
Actually what I was wanting to do was sell tickets in advance and having the "Q" plate sale either in my front yard, (BTW I'm in converse) or at a strip mall for example. The site didn't offer much info. Mainly it would be a fundraiser for myself and friends helping me. The only other things we would sell would be sodas and bottled water and maybe some homemade pico de gallo.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:02 PM

1,814 posts, read 608,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Anyone know where I can get info on code compliance setting up a BBQ pit selling food plates in front of businesses, in my front yard, etc? Some friends and I are thinking about it but want to do it in accordance with rules and regulations that would apply but not sure on who to check with. Any information would be helpful. Thanx...
short answer: call 311

semi-long answer: you need permits, a business or non-profit license, sanatized cooking areas, hand sanitizes, etc etc. costs a lil chunk of change to get it going, but if its something you want to do and profitable in your locations, it might be worth it.

/your kitchen doesnt count

Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Converse will have the same food establishment rules as the state, if they haven't adopted rules that are more strict. State: Food Establishments Group: Converse: Municode - Search

It's almost impossible to get a kitchen in your home licensed as a commercial kitchen. There has to be no access to sleeping quarters in the home from the kitchen, there has to be an outside door to the kitchen so the health inspector can come in without going through your home, there are requirements about grease traps, etc...and you've got to get the property zoning changed, and be sure your HOA doesn't prohibit home businesses. It's pretty much set up so that you can't do it, it would be cheaper just to open a restaurant than build a commercial kitchen in your home, usually.

Usually you can't get a permit as a temporary food establishment unless you're part of an organization having an event, and the event has to be on commercial property. I didn't see anything in Converse's city code about temporary food establishments so they would be following the state rules.

There's a rental kitchen in San Antonio...I don't know how cost-effective it would be.

To make a long answer short, when you see people having plate sales at their houses, they're not doing it legally.

Last edited by Hedgehog_Mom; 09-27-2011 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: clarify links

Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 PM

3,468 posts, read 5,477,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

I thought Mom2Feebs and I were the only ones interested in that! Yay Hedgehog_Mom!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
I thought Mom2Feebs and I were the only ones interested in that! Yay Hedgehog_Mom!!!
Do you do cakes too? I was so excited when it passed!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM

502 posts, read 430,495 times
As long as nobody complains your good!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:09 PM

3,958 posts, read 3,984,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
As long as nobody complains your good!
True - but one complaint an' you're up in smoke....along with whatever you spent on food.

Thing is, it's NOT as simple as saying "I'm a good cook" - there's a ton of Health/Code issues to be complied with, and as others have noted it's usually just not worth the hassle. You'd be better off cooking during special events, etc, and setting up as a temporary vendor - they're usually a tad more lax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio