U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
you sound mad and upset.

back on topic:

my first job was a full time gig at a movie theater when i turned 16. much better than pizza hut, but hey, in this economy, a job is a job.
Moderator cut: See Comment 1
Moderator cut: See Comment 2

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-07-2011 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: (1) Orphaned Comment (2) Personal attacks are not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas but we do not attack the speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM

83 posts, read 136,309 times
You will make AT least minimum wage, if I remember correctly your employer has to match up to that amount if your tips don't equal at least that per hour.
How about Bill Millers I always see that they are hiring starting at $9 an hour..not bad for a high school age kid.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 PM

251 posts, read 453,085 times
Moderator cut: See Comment You could use that experience and wait tables when you're a bit older and make much more money.
And what ever happened to that triple decker pizza, greasy or not that pizza rocked

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-07-2011 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Off Topic

Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 PM

464 posts, read 659,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneB View Post
I'm a 16 year old high school student and I've been wanting to get a job all summer but failed. The Pizza Hut near my house has turned me away once already and now I see they have a hiring sign. I called and they said they have a position for Daytime Wait Staff. That obviously means I'll be waiting tables. I was wondering whether or not I should take the job since I hear that waiters can end up making less than minimum wage. On he plus side this job can help me improve my people skills, something I already lack. Should I take the job or not?

Also I'm not involved in anything at my school so I have lots of spare time.
I'd strongly urge you to take the job, gain experience and save some $$. Have fun along the way and keep an eye out for opportunities.

For what it's worth, a good friend I graduated High School with didn't go onto college and stayed in his restaurant job while I went to pursue a degree. I thought he'd made a bad decision until he began to move up in the company. Today he's a division manager and makes quite a bit of money. He always had a vision of what he wanted to accomplish and set goals for himself

Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTX1293 View Post
You will make AT least minimum wage, if I remember correctly your employer has to match up to that amount if your tips don't equal at least that per hour.
Yep...

Quote:
The Texas minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 per hour, the same as the Federal minimum wage for tipped employees. The Texas tipped wage applies to employees like waitresses, waiters, bartenders, valets, and other service employees who earn more then $30 in tips a month.

Including tips and cash wages, all tipped employees must still earn at least the Texas Minimum Wage of $7.25 per hour. If a Texas employee does not earn at least $7.25 including tips in any given hour of work, their employer must make up the difference in cash. (Source)

Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yep...
thats cool, i had no idea they had changed the law about tip wages.

/always thought it was a bit unfair that, despite them choosing that line of work, they got paid far less than others.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,237,008 times
Take whatever job you can get. I was a teenager during the last recession and it took me a long time to find a job.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,305,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneB View Post
I'm a 16 year old high school student and I've been wanting to get a job all summer but failed. The Pizza Hut near my house has turned me away once already and now I see they have a hiring sign. I called and they said they have a position for Daytime Wait Staff. That obviously means I'll be waiting tables. I was wondering whether or not I should take the job since I hear that waiters can end up making less than minimum wage. On he plus side this job can help me improve my people skills, something I already lack. Should I take the job or not?

Also I'm not involved in anything at my school so I have lots of spare time.
Waiting tables taught me more about myself and how to work with all types of people than anything else I've ever done. I really believe that my years I. The service industry are partially responsible for me achieving the success I have in my life.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 AM

229 posts, read 587,184 times
My sister is a manager at a local Pizza Hut, so let me clear some stuff up. Pizza Hut is not a self serve restaurant. They are casual dining, the server will do everything from taking your drinks, order, serving you, etc... just like any other place. The only time this wont happen is during buffet. Which is only on certain days and times. Also, servers at PH make $4.25 an hour, plus tips. When I use to work at PH, servers would make anywhere from $20 to $100 per shift. But for the most part you will prob make about $30 per shift, cash. Also, for the most part, it's fun as hell to work at PH, i remember those times fondly, and still talk to several friends i made there.

If I were you, I would take the job, make some cash, learn something, flirt with girls or guys, and have fun. If you don't like it, you can always quit. Free pizza never hurts, just make sure to work kinda hard and keep your GM happy.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, please direct message me.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,177,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTX1293 View Post
How about Bill Millers I always see that they are hiring starting at $9 an hour..not bad for a high school age kid.

Maybe so, but when I waited tables, if you approached your boss and told him he had to make up the difference, you were pretty much let go at that point. Clearly you weren't doing your job (in their mind). We all talked about it (esp at the lunch shift) but nobody ever even asked the question. It might not have been a law then, I don't know. We're talking early 90s.

Waiting tables was great, but I would never, never, never do it again unless I absolutely had to. TGI Friday's (in its heyday!) and County Line. 5 years. I'm done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio