U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:08 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,260,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
pretty much ANY job that 'requires' a lib arts degree does not require, specifically, a lib arts degree.

furthermore, those jobs that 'require' a degree can be obtained, easily, without wasting money on one.

im pretty versed when it comes to what a lib arts degree can net you sir.

/communications isnt exactly a lib arts degree, now is it?

The 10 Most Worthless College Majors Holytaco <-- sums it up well.
That article was inaccurate. I'm a Music Therapist, and no...we do not mix tapes with songs by Coolio and Summer Jamz '95. Music Therapists work in hospitals alongside physical/occupational therapists. We set individual goals for patients and have treatment plans. We have to learn several instruments, earn a Bachelor's of Music degree, psychology/medical classes, and pass the certification exam.

We enter the hospital/treatment center to help treat children with developmental disabilities, adults with addictions, and psychiatric afflictions, as well. Music Therapy has been found to help the Autistic. It is a proven practice, and has been around since the '50s.

I found this highly inaccurate and offensive.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:16 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,260,783 times
and, furthermore...the world NEEDS artists, trained musicians, and art historians! People with liberal arts degrees already KNOW they will not be bringing in the dough. We are talented people who love art for the sake of art! A society is judged by the quality of their art, music and literature. Do you want to live in a world without this??? Good luck.

and furthermore...in support of my fellow liberal arts patrons.

“Art is a nation’s most precious heritage. For it is in our works of art that we reveal to ourselves and to others the inner vision which guides us as a nation. And where there is no vision, the people perish.”
Lyndon Johnson, on signing into existence the National Endowment on the Arts

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-23-2011 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: combined your two posts

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:23 PM

2,315 posts, read 5,535,404 times
I have a friend with an Art history degree doing really well and loving what he does. And Buffy good for you to do music therapy. We have used it for my Apserger son and he loves the chamber music and Beach Boys makes him able to write much better cause he also has dysgraphia. The world needs all type of folks to do the work that the world requires from trashmen on up the list. Money is not always the end all of it for some, personal happiness has a lot to do with it for me. Life it to short and you only get one shot at it so have fun.

Unread 10-22-2011, 07:26 PM

46,576 posts, read 40,931,876 times
job fairs here are somewhat of a waste of time. i think much better is networking thru your church and community organizations. hate to say it interning and volunteer is another giant avenue. i dont like working for free but its an option.

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:38 PM

837 posts, read 1,637,235 times
dont most job fairs consist of temp jobs?

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:42 PM

2,244 posts, read 3,008,300 times
I've been to a couple job fairs here, last time I was unemployed (early 2000s). All employers there were looking for entry level positions.

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:58 PM

8,219 posts, read 11,459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs didn't even finish college so having a degree isn't always a path to success.
Right, two examples as compared to the millions who have done the same and end up with tedious, manual labor jobs at minimal pay...

Unread 10-22-2011, 09:51 PM

2,315 posts, read 5,535,404 times
madmax,
As sad as it is to say not everyone is going to get a golden ticket even with degrees. Sure we would like it to happen but the cost of college nowdays out weighs future income in thiis new American society that we are having to come terms with. Also we need those folks that do the manual labor jobs because they are going to be the ones fixing all the of the infrastructure that is falling down around us. The manual labor pay rate is not that minimal any longer. Plenty of folks out there no degree and have businesses and are happy..steve jobs or gates no but still happy.

Unread 10-22-2011, 10:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,207,704 times
Since my plumber makes nearly $100 an hour I no longer think a college degree is all it's cracked up to be.

Unread 10-22-2011, 10:24 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,054,335 times
Default Right,

As in the accountant that mixed the 2 gals. of yellow paint for me at Lowe's.
But wait...he was a Lowe's "Associate" and not in the menial labor force.
Or,the thousands of "graduates" burdened with tremendous loan debt,
still living with their parents, that cannot find work. How about a mechnical engineer earning 14.00 per hour.
Or the many, many "Professional" couples working in cubicles and also are
so overburdened with debt and not earning what they had envisioned
they would during their college days that they find themselves financially
embarassed. With the Banks still collecting their ill-gotten gains on these loans,
it is bad. These banks are preying on young people and they must choose a route wisely and beware..
Education is no for certain guarantee any more. It is the last best hope, but it is an uncertain one. My son Anth, as we call him,is in his third year of 5 years of study for a chemical engineering degree. This is an exclusive type of degree and in high demand in this high tech world, so that is O.K., a good thing.
He only owes $5000.00 after three years, so this is very good.But I would not blindly recommend college for everyone, I might recommed against it
Ever notice all the B.B.A.'s setting up product displays at stores.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Right, two examples as compared to the millions who have done the same and end up with tedious, manual labor jobs at minimal pay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio