Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:58 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
ummm....guys, what difference does it make? I've had degreed professionals working for me that couldn't pour water out of a boot if the directions were on the heel. The degree means very little to most folks - especially if you've got work history. Better paying jobs ARE in SA now compared to even 5 years ago, and frankly the future looks even better. If you're not making decent money right now, either you expect too much and would be complaining anywhere - or you just aren't trying.
Where are these good paying jobs that don't require a degree? The ones I see require years of experience, sometimes, experience in a field that is nearly impossible to get experience in. Trust me, my standards are not high and I have work history including two supervisory positions; I just don't have experience in anything that pays a decent wage. I have sent resumes and applications for probably over 200 positions; I am not exaggerating. I have only been called in for 3 interviews, two of which turned out to be low paying jobs. Because unemployment is high, I think I'm competing with much more experienced applicants for entry level positions. My last hope is the local, state, or federal government. I know they take a long time to hire people, so I'm still optimistic.

I want to reiterate that my standards are pretty low. I'm only looking to make a few dollars an hour more than I make now and I don't even make a middle class wage. Did I mention that I was told I was overqualified for a position that pays more than what I'm making now? Maybe I'll get called in for more interviews once my degree is conferred. I thought I'd start early because it's normal for companies to hire people a few months before they graduate, but I can't even get an interview for positions that don't require a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:02 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,083,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
And yet, you can't provide a source. According to a survey that was done between 2005 and 2009, the percentage of people 25+ with a bachelor's degree in San Antonio was 23. 4%. Houston and Dallas were at 28.3% and 28.2% respectively. If if San Antonio had a 25% rate, that's not much of an improvement from 23.4%. It's definitely not as far off as your incorrect statistics on ethnic makeup. Your theory is that San Antonio's Hispanics are more educated than the blacks and Hispanics in Dallas and Houston. Well, San Antonio is 70.1% black and Hispanic while Houston and Dallas are 67.5% and 67.4% respectively. Boy, I guess the white people in Dallas and Houston must be more educated than the whites in San Antonio to make up for the less educated minorities they have according to you. They make up for them so much, Houston and Dallas still come out ahead.

San Antonio (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Houston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Dallas (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

I'll look for the link that list metros that indicates a more even score, those stats are city proper only, but even going by tha 4 percentage point lead is not enough to say Dallas and Houston are far more educated cities the way someone was claiming in here.

As far as comparing SA hispanics to blacks of Dallas and houston, I never compared them, but said I doubt the NATIONAL average for blacks with higher education attainment probably would not be higher than that of Hispanics of San Antonio, only.

You keep claiming things I have not said and try to prove your own point.

Higher education attainment by groups goes as follows. Whites, Blacks and then hispanics. Blacks are ahead by 5% over hispanics, nationally.

Hispanics in San Antonio are the majority, and San Antonio is a prosperous city, with higher numbers of hispanics enrolled in college and earning 4 year degrees and higher compared to the national average for hispanics. So it is safe to say, that going by these figures, S.A hispanics close the gap on the percentage disparity between blacks on a national scale and that of hispanics of San Antonio scale.

This article below is one indication that says hispanics in San Antonio or in Texas for that matter are more accultrated and are more likely to attend college. Other states where hipanics thrive and that would have similar figures would be, CA, Florida, NY, and the rest of the country to a lesser degree.

UTSA is a leading school for Hispanic grads in the United States
UTSA is a leading school for Hispanic grads - San Antonio Business Journal

SA home to the largest hispanic owned firms in the United States.
San Antonio companies are among the largest U.S. Hispanic-owned firms - San Antonio Business Journal

So in conclusion the picture for hispanics in S.A. is a totally diferent animal compared to the less thriving hispanic markets and that of a national level.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:10 PM

299 posts, read 605,061 times
There are plenty of good jobs in San Antonio.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,287 times
OP I work in IT security and I just moved to Austin for a job. The same job pays $20k+ more.

Depending on what kind of "IT Security" you work in(there are many different types of IT Security) $40-60k is painfully underpaid. You should be making no less than $80k.

@NewinAustin: Get into IT. You don't need a degree. Go read an A+ Certification book, get certified and go get an entry level IT job for $12/hr+ Get some experience and some more certs and start moving up the ranks. I don't have a degree. I have 7 years of experience in IT and many certifications and i'm making 6 figures now. And no my experience is not a fluke, it can be repeated. My lead does not have a degree and make more than me. At my last job none of the 6 of us had degrees and the lowest paid guy was making over $60k /yr($30/hr+).

Feel free to PM me if you need some advice or guidance.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarzt View Post
OP I work in IT security and I just moved to Austin for a job. The same job pays $20k+ more.

Depending on what kind of "IT Security" you work in(there are many different types of IT Security) $40-60k is painfully underpaid. You should be making no less than $80k.

@NewinAustin: Get into IT. You don't need a degree. Go read an A+ Certification book, get certified and go get an entry level IT job for $12/hr+ Get some experience and some more certs and start moving up the ranks. I don't have a degree. I have 7 years of experience in IT and many certifications and i'm making 6 figures now. And no my experience is not a fluke, it can be repeated. My lead does not have a degree and make more than me. At my last job none of the 6 of us had degrees and the lowest paid guy was making over $60k /yr($30/hr+).

Feel free to PM me if you need some advice or guidance.

I believe it two of my cousins one has a degree and the other doesn't, both make over 110K in the IT sector. IT security is huge in SA probably the biggest in the U.S.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I'll look for the link that list metros that indicates a more even score, those stats are city proper only, but even going by tha 4 percentage point lead is not enough to say Dallas and Houston are far more educated cities the way someone was claiming in here.

As far as comparing SA hispanics to blacks of Dallas and houston, I never compared them, but said I doubt the NATIONAL average for blacks with higher education attainment probably would not be higher than that of Hispanics of San Antonio, only.

You keep claiming things I have not said and try to prove your own point.

Higher education attainment by groups goes as follows. Whites, Blacks and then hispanics. Blacks are ahead by 5% over hispanics, nationally.

Hispanics in San Antonio are the majority, and San Antonio is a prosperous city, with higher numbers of hispanics enrolled in college and earning 4 year degrees and higher compared to the national average for hispanics. So it is safe to say, that going by these figures, S.A hispanics close the gap on the percentage disparity between blacks on a national scale and that of hispanics of San Antonio scale.

This article below is one indication that says hispanics in San Antonio or in Texas for that matter are more accultrated and are more likely to attend college. Other states where hipanics thrive and that would have similar figures would be, CA, Florida, NY, and the rest of the country to a lesser degree.

UTSA is a leading school for Hispanic grads in the United States
UTSA is a leading school for Hispanic grads - San Antonio Business Journal

SA home to the largest hispanic owned firms in the United States.
San Antonio companies are among the largest U.S. Hispanic-owned firms - San Antonio Business Journal

So in conclusion the picture for hispanics in S.A. is a totally diferent animal compared to the less thriving hispanic markets and that of a national level.
You keep claiming things that haven't been proven. You still haven't proven that SA's Hispanics are more educated than those in the rest of the country. You haven't posted a source that San Antonio Hispanics graduate college at a rate higher than the national average for Hispanics. San Antonio's overall college attainment rate is lower than the national average; it's even lower than the Texas average.

All of this really doesn't matter. I'm not going to go around in circles with you when you keep on making up statistics.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:21 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,014,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc11ty View Post
There are plenty of good jobs in San Antonio.
ROFL define "good"?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You keep claiming things that haven't been proven. You still haven't proven that SA's Hispanics are more educated than those in the rest of the country. You haven't posted a source that San Antonio Hispanics graduate college at a rate higher than the national average for Hispanics. San Antonio's overall college attainment rate is lower than the national average; it's even lower than the Texas average.

All of this really doesn't matter. I'm not going to go around in circles with you when you keep on making up statistics.

The discussion has never been about SA having a higher percentage than the national average or the state average but rather it being close to to those averages, and that of Dallas and houston which it is. This has been a topic of proving that those cities are not far more educated as one person stated. The info I listed was to prove that things seem to better for hispanics in places like SA and other prominent hispanic markets than non hispanic markets. And I will bet you that SA hispanics have higher college attainment than the rest of Texas specifically because of the high percentage of U.S. born.

I havent had a chance to get the exact percentage locally but I will surely find out.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
ROFL define "good"?
I've got a "good" job. Decent pay, travel, and it's interesting.

BTW, what's with your new "status?"

Old 10-28-2011, 11:49 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,516,027 times
Study Cryptology and all things computer related. NSA and Microsoft have data-mining centers there, is it near the Castle Hills area? That stuff should guarantee you a job, though it's true that in the Maryland area one may never be without a job by studying the areas I suggest.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-29-2011 at 12:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio