U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,334,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
But be aware that the Federal draw-downs and budget cuts are affecting intel jobs all over the country. I wouldn't strictly focus in that area, law enforcement has many growing intel opportunities--mostly at the state level--so keep your eyes on that field as well!

Cheers! M2
I think law enforcement looks to hire from within for these jobs. I've applied for all that I qualify for and haven't scored an interview yet (typical federal response of resume being forwarded to the hiring authority). I've been unemployed since march and was hoping that some new contracts would pop up, but instead I'm hearing that contracts are going to be axed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 PM

8 posts, read 13,740 times
14/hr sounds like a dream job compared to the retail work I do up in Austin. Just because it isn't enough to support a family doesn't mean that it isn't enough to support a single person.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I think law enforcement looks to hire from within for these jobs. I've applied for all that I qualify for and haven't scored an interview yet (typical federal response of resume being forwarded to the hiring authority). I've been unemployed since march and was hoping that some new contracts would pop up, but instead I'm hearing that contracts are going to be axed.
Unfortunately, that is the case; especially in the organization we both worked at before we retired. I'm getting more and more people contacting me to see if my company has anything, and at the moment they don't.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but unfortunately I don't see much relief on the horizon. I moved to a different contract in March because my old one ended, the new job requires a lot of travel but honestly that doesn't bother me as much as it used to. These days it's enough just to be working...

Good luck with your search!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 AM

575 posts, read 1,259,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewinAustin View Post
14/hr sounds like a dream job compared to the retail work I do up in Austin. Just because it isn't enough to support a family doesn't mean that it isn't enough to support a single person.
I agree, $14 an hour sounds like a dream job compared to the $7.25 I make part-time in retail. I have a bachelor's degree yet I can't get any work because I don't have enough experience. How the hell are you suppose to get experience when no one will hire you? I've applied to many jobs but no luck. I'm willing to start at bottom doing entry level work but the demand is not here in SA. It is mostly just crappy minimum wage jobs that won't hire you full-time cause they don't want to pay benefits.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:01 AM

6,999 posts, read 10,237,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
I agree, $14 an hour sounds like a dream job compared to the $7.25 I make part-time in retail. I have a bachelor's degree yet I can't get any work because I don't have enough experience. How the hell are you suppose to get experience when no one will hire you? I've applied to many jobs but no luck. I'm willing to start at bottom doing entry level work but the demand is not here in SA. It is mostly just crappy minimum wage jobs that won't hire you full-time cause they don't want to pay benefits.
I think that's going on across the country because I see people in the employment forum complaining about the experience requirements. I have seen entry level jobs that require 2-3 years of experience. Hardly anyone wants to spend money on training. They expect someone else to train you. The government is probably the most accepting employer of new graduates, but everyone is applying for those jobs. Even some jobs that don't require degrees want people to have experience in an extremely rare skill in which it is nearly impossible for someone to have gained experience. And these people wonder why they can't find anyone. A couple of decades ago, employers were more willing to train people.

I've seen job openings paying $12-13 an hour requiring a bachelor's degree. I've seen jobs requiring a master's in social work paying $30,000 a year. I have a little bit of an advantage over most college graduates since I worked full-time the whole time I went to school. Many college graduates come out with little to no work experience or only a few months of internships.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
It's always been that way. When I entered the work force MANY years ago, I saw the same requirement, so it's nothing new.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 PM

210 posts, read 437,964 times
Do government agencies only hire American citizens or are jobs available to permanent residents also? I imagine it may depend on the job, but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone knew the right answer.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 13,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
I'm having the same exact problem in Austin's so called great job market. Unless you have a business/accounting/computer science degree with some internships, you're screwed I can learn anything quickly, but employers aren't willing to train. I actually manage 8.70/hr in retail, so thats a little better than minimum wage.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I have a little bit of an advantage over most college graduates since I worked full-time the whole time I went to school. Many college graduates come out with little to no work experience or only a few months of internships.
<<This! . When graduating college in a recession, many times you're competing with those who have no college degree for entry-level jobs.

It's also been utterly and depressingly slow (for me). The past several years, for different jobs, I went from $7.25 an hour to $7.55 an hour then to $9.00 an hour and now I'm at $12.13 an hour. It's not fulltime. None of them have been.

I'm just grateful I'm moving up with the pay and like millions of others, I'm looking to do what I can to keep moving up.

On the side, I supplement my income with a few mystery shopping jobs a year, brand ambassador (marketing) work, and working store demos to help out.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 AM

2,559 posts, read 5,258,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
San Antonio does not have a lot of professional opportunities like other major cities (i.e. Dallas, Houston, Austin). One reason is the lack of corporate presence here (and call centers do not count, people). San Antonio is full of mom-and-pop businesses and some do well owning those types of businesses.

Pay is typically lower in San Antonio because companies are not willing to pay for good talents, therefore the good talents relocate elsewhere for better pay. It is a catch 22 situation as good talents cannnot find decent opportunities here because companies are not willing to pay for them and companies want good talents and good talents are not here. As long as people are willing to accept underpaid wages, employers see no needs to pay more and that is the challenge across this city. Now I am not suggesting someone should not take a job if things are getting rough financially but there needs to be a balance and each individual needs to evaluate his/her own situation.

I suggest you look else where like in Austin, Dallas, or Houston if you decide to stay in Texas.

For the thousandth time, S.A has a equal or higher per capita income, and surely a much bigger coporate presence than Austin. Dallas and Houston have larger corporate bases than most U.S cities, so, yes bigger than S.A.

San Antonio has a respectable amount easily a top 20 city, throw in the low cost of living makes S.A. more desirable, and it shows, one of the fastest growing cities, for job growth, population, etc.

Overall San Antonio is not a low wage city, at least not anymore, especially since it has multibillion dollar industires, in healthcare, finance, government, research, manufacturing, IT, aerospace. Tourism which has a lot of service jobs is huge and is about to be overtaken by the IT-Security industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio