U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:49 AM

6,997 posts, read 10,215,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
For the thousandth time, S.A has a equal or higher per capita income, and surely a much bigger coporate presence than Austin. Dallas and Houston have larger corporate bases than most U.S cities, so, yes bigger than S.A.

San Antonio has a respectable amount easily a top 20 city, throw in the low cost of living makes S.A. more desirable, and it shows, one of the fastest growing cities, for job growth, population, etc.

Overall San Antonio is not a low wage city, at least not anymore, especially since it has multibillion dollar industires, in healthcare, finance, government, research, manufacturing, IT, aerospace. Tourism which has a lot of service jobs is huge and is about to be overtaken by the IT-Security industry.
LOL. You are consistent. For the thousandth time, the fact that SA has a similar per capita income to Austin, but a significantly lower median income suggests that there is greater income disparity in SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 AM

2,559 posts, read 5,252,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
I have said this in other threads and I have received profanity laced direct messages from newly created accounts, If you dont want to hear the truth then stop reading this right now

A large reason why San Antonio has a large uneducated, unskilled work force is due to the large hispanic population. I am not saying that ALL hispanics in SA are uneducated/unskilled but a large percentage of them are. The reason for this is cultural differences. Generally speaking, mexican culture does not promote education. This in return creates a large work force that is uneducated/unskilled in SA. With a large uneducated/unskilled workforce, companies are less likely to bring quality jobs to SA.

When companies look elsewhere to bring jobs, this in turn does not attract young educated professionals. Young educated professionals job seekers go where the jobs are and unfortunately SA is not the place. Most of the college grads in TX will not be relocated to SA for work, they will be going to Dallas/Houston/Austin for opportunity.

I have met quite a handful of college kids at UTSA and it seems the only ones who will be sticking around SA after graduation for work are those born in SA or those from small cities/towns scattered about TX.

The solution is to increase the education of the local population which in turn will increase the education of the population as a whole and entice companies to bring quality jobs to SA. Its a double edged sword though, if the education of the native population grew, quality jobs would come but then the cost of living would increase as landlords would know that wages are increasing and that renters would be more willing to pay more for rent. Many are here only for the low cost of living.

Houston is about 41% hispanic, Austin is almost 40%, S.A is in the 50% range. The difference between San Antonio hispanics and other Texas cities, is that S.A has a 75% U.S born while Houston, Dallas and Austin are not even 30% mostly foerign born.

Try comparing the enoromous black population of Houston to San Antonio's hispanic population, I doubt it is more educated or well off.

Big difference when comparing level of assimilated or acculturated hispanic populations. And yes San Antonio is considered as a city attracting young professionals. For one... to say all the people moving in from places like California, and other parts of the country are all unskilled and uneducated is dullusional.

S.A considered top U.S. city for hispanic college graduates.
UTSA is a leading school for Hispanic grads - San Antonio Business Journal

San Antonio companies are among the largest U.S. Hispanic-owned firms
San Antonio companies are among the largest U.S. Hispanic-owned firms - San Antonio Business Journal

San Antonio moving up in the rankings as a city attracrting young proffesionals.

29. San Antonio, Texas
San Antonio finished in the middle for its concentration of top companies, but lagged in its ability to attract graduates from our basket of top schools. As far as imbalances go, this is a good one to have, as it bodes well for attracting top talent. The city was one of our biggest gainers this year, rising from 36th last year

Seattle # 19
In Depth: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
LOL. You are consistent. For the thousandth time, the fact that SA has a similar per capita income to Austin, but a significantly lower median income suggests that there is greater income disparity in SA.

Median income is supposedly higher in Austin, but when you look at the overall generated income in both metros, S.A. is at least $13 Billion ahead with a similar sized workforce. I am in question of that median income lead for Austin, the capital, hmm, would they want to say they have a lower median income than S.A? I doubt it, cover up imo, among other things in our overrated neighbor up the street. I like Austin but I dont buy all the hype.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Houston is about 41% hispanic, Austin is almost 40%, S.A is in the 50% range. The difference between San Antonio hispanics and other Texas cities, is that S.A has a 75% U.S born while Houston, Dallas and Austin are not even 30% mostly foerign born.

Try comparing the enoromous black population of Houston to San Antonio's hispanic population, I doubt it is more educated or well off.

Big difference when comparing level of assimilated or acculturated hispanic populations. And yes San Antonio is considered as a city attracting young professionals. For one... to say all the people moving in from places like California, and other parts of the country are all unskilled and uneducated is dullusional.

S.A considered top U.S. city for hispanic college graduates.
UTSA is a leading school for Hispanic grads - San Antonio Business Journal

San Antonio companies are among the largest U.S. Hispanic-owned firms
San Antonio companies are among the largest U.S. Hispanic-owned firms - San Antonio Business Journal

San Antonio moving up in the rankings as a city attracrting young proffesionals.

29. San Antonio, Texas
San Antonio finished in the middle for its concentration of top companies, but lagged in its ability to attract graduates from our basket of top schools. As far as imbalances go, this is a good one to have, as it bodes well for attracting top talent. The city was one of our biggest gainers this year, rising from 36th last year

Seattle # 19
In Depth: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com
I'm sorry, but you are way off. According to the 2010 Census, San Antonio is over 63% Hispanic. Houston does have a slightly hire percentage of educated people and black people graduate college at a higher rate than Hispanics. Not that it really matters, but I'm just pointing out that your "facts" are wrong.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Median income is supposedly higher in Austin, but when you look at the overall generated income in both metros, S.A. is at least $13 Billion ahead with a similar sized workforce. I am in question of that median income lead for Austin, the capital, hmm, would they want to say they have a lower median income than S.A? I doubt it, cover up imo, among other things in our overrated neighbor up the street. I like Austin but I dont buy all the hype.
So the statistics on per capita income are correct, but the statistics on median income are not?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you are way off. According to the 2010 Census, San Antonio is over 63% Hispanic. Houston does have a slightly hire percentage of educated people and black people graduate college at a higher rate than Hispanics. Not that it really matters, but I'm just pointing out that your "facts" are wrong.

Maybe in general but not compared to a much higher percentage of acculturated San Antonio hispanic population. San Antonio is not the norm when comparing hispanics!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
So the statistics on per capita income are correct, but the statistics on median income are not?

Just Seems that way just going by a basic math equation. Its something I plan to look in to a l'il more.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Maybe in general but not compared to a much higher percentage of acculturated San Antonio hispanic population. San Antonio is not the norm when comparing hispanics!
The foreign born rate does not prove your theory. You don't know what kind of immigrants are moving to these cities. There are plenty of wealthy Mexicans moving to Texas. I know that African immigrants are more likely to go to college than American blacks, so you just can't assume that assimilation will lead to a hire rate of college attendance. What exactly are some minority groups assimilating into? Are they assimilating to the dominant Anglo culture or are the assimilating to their own subcultures?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:

63% is probably the city limits, but metro is lower, I need to find the link I read not to long ago.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
The foreign born rate does not prove your theory. You don't know what kind of immigrants are moving to these cities. There are plenty of wealthy Mexicans moving to Texas. I know that African immigrants are more likely to go to college than American blacks, so you just can't assume that assimilation will lead to a hire rate of college attendance. What exactly are some minority groups assimilating into? Are they assimilating to the dominant Anglo culture or are the assimilating to their own subcultures?

I already pointed out and posted how the San Antonio hispanic population is not the same as other communites in Texas when it comes to the educated. Again, it is different becasue it is more acculturated, and a much much higher population that goes back generations, 3rd, 4th an so on. As far as weathty mexicans moving in to S.A. that are already educated, do not contribute to S.A's higher hispanic college attainment figures.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 10-26-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio