Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 22,699 times

Advertisements

There was another mall in front of Northstar? Totally did not know that. Weird that Sears just stayed behind. Thanks for the infomation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 08:20 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,443 times
Default Central Park Mall

Central Park Mall was west of North Star across from San Pedro St.
At the bottom center across this mall was a movie theater .

Central Park Mall - San Antonio, TX USA | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhirokun View Post
There was another mall in front of Northstar? Totally did not know that. Weird that Sears just stayed behind. Thanks for the infomation.
Anchor stores at major malls, like the Sears that was part of the old Central Park Mall, are usually owned by the store that occupies that space, as opposed to being leased, like the spaces occupied by the smaller stores.

So when the owners of Central Park decided to demolosh the mall and re-develop the property, they would have had to buy the Sears store from Sears, if they wanted to include that store in the demolition and re-development. The Dillard's store that was at the other end of the mall had been vacant for several years, and the mall owners obviously were able to purchase the building from the owner, who was probably more motivated to sell, than the owner of a store that was still operating.

When the mall was demolished, it left an unfinished cinder block wall on the west side of the Sears store, which was given a coat of stucco, and painted. Put a couple of fire exit doors where the entrance to the old mall was, and they were good to go (or should I say, stay?).

Old 04-13-2014, 03:21 PM

79 posts, read 318,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I remember a place that sold Churros in the late 70's it was I think where the apple store is now, NSM used to be awesome not really impressed by it today.
The churros place was there in the early 80's and was called Whimsy Works. The store was notable for its anamatronic characters that mimicked the making of the churros. It was located at the entry to the original food court right about where Michael Kors is now. The food court moved to its current location when the Marshall Field's wing opened in 1986.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrg View Post
The churros place was there in the early 80's and was called Whimsy Works. The store was notable for its anamatronic characters that mimicked the making of the churros. It was located at the entry to the original food court right about where Michael Kors is now. The food court moved to its current location when the Marshall Field's wing opened in 1986.
Thanks Ice and I remember the characters as well, something like its a small world at the Disney parks. That place was great I think it was there into the late 80's.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
So was it the theater at North Star where I saw Star Wars--my first PG movie!? I've been thinking it was Central Park Mall for years. I remember waiting in a long line, inside a building, and I sort of remember some sort of arches. I was pretty young so I could be wrong about the arches. Anyway, does that sound like North Star or Central Park??
I never understood why the two malls were so close to each other, you could walk across the street from one to the other. I remember as a 15 year old kid back in 1994 my friend and I made it a point to visit every mall one summer by "borrowing" my parents old truck while they were at work. We went to every mall in SA that summer except from Rolling Oaks Mall.

Here is a vid of Central Park Mall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptg633SwhHg

Old 04-21-2015, 10:51 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,536 times
Boy i haven't heard those store names in years.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:42 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
There were Texas Liquor Stores all over town. I imagine they were Dons & Ben's biggest competitors. Texas Stores also sold fishing and hunting supplies and you could buy hunting and fishing licenses there. I bought my tackle box at the North Star Mall store in the early 70s.

Every Friday I would take my pay check from the North Star Cinema to deposit at the San Antonio Savings kiosk near Woolworths.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:30 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,443 times
I worked in the books and camera department at Joske’s North Star.
As employees, we got 25% discount on the clothes.
Somewhere in the middle of the mall, was a small store that sold baseball cards
and other sporting goods. I got my David Robinson rookie card there.
Later he autographed the card when he went to McFarlin. A very nice person.

I recall, after work, I would order a pizza over on San Pedro and a 12 ounce bottle of Dr. Pepper
from the ice house nearby.
By the time I got home, I had finished the entire pizza.
Today, I can barely finish 2 slices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio