U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM

418 posts, read 687,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I am interested in getting a different car, and would like to know what dealerships are hassle free and let you test drive cars. Please give me some personal experiences. I want to go, test drive, and then leave with no hassle whatsoever.

Let me know what dealerships are easy to deal with and maybe who to ask for.
Gillman Honda in Schertz... the most hassle free new car test drive I've
ever experienced after 50 years of car purchases.

They handed over the keys of the vehicle I was interested in and let me
keep it until the deal was finalized 1-week later.

No, the salesperson did not live with me for the week.

However, I had done my research before going to the dealership, knew
what vehicle I wanted and made it clear at the dealership I was a serious
buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:39 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,247,872 times
I hate going to car dealerships. They think I'm picky because I go in there with a list of cars I want. After buying a vehicle that is known to have transmission problems (I didn't know at the time I bought it), I do extensive research on the reliability of vehicles and will not buy something that is not on my list. Especially since I'm a woman, they'll try to shove me in anything. Red McCombs had some rough looking used vehicles. I asked the salesman if they were done working on them and he said they aren't concerned with changing out rusty wheels or stained interiors. That guy was an a** and I made sure I complained to his manager. I never heard a salesperson gripe so much. He was sitting in an air conditioned vehicle most of the time and kept on complaining about the heat. It's not my fault his fat a** can't stay outside for more than 30min. I love shopping at CarMax, but they charge so much more.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,278,280 times
I recently bought a vehicle from Cavender Toyota and it was relatively painless. I told them the exact car I wanted that I had seen on the website, took it for a spin, and drove off in it that evening. There was no pressure, although a couple of the sales guys were kinda creeper eye while I was waiting. The sales guy and his manager have followed up with me twice since then, just to see how things are working out. Overall great experience. I previously bought a Toyota about 7 years ago from Red McCombs....ugh, very different experience.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 PM

581 posts, read 1,036,481 times
I had no problem at Gunn. I dont know if the gentleman I bought it from no works there still since it was a few years ago but it was pretty much pain free. My GF and I went in, to find a car we both liked and could see ourselves driving. We had done plenty of research and narrowed it down to 2 but we wanted to test drive them first. Unfortunately, while talking the the salesman, I got called back into work and wasn't able to finish looking. I told him what I wanted and we set up a time that we could all be there with no distractions. We got there, he had both the cars waiting nearby, with a break down of pricing based on information I sent to him. So we got into the first car and he took us to a parking lot and he got out and said to try it out and then switch. So we did this for both, he left us alone to discuss it, and we wound up buying one. I liked the price. It may have been a little more but the fact it was smooth and he didn't treat us like we were idiots, made it an easier decision. Still have the car and it runs like a boss!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,340,138 times
You know these guys are paid only when they sell a car. You need to at least show interest. There is no incentive to help someone knowingly wasting time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I want to go, test drive, and then leave with no hassle whatsoever.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:11 AM

810 posts, read 1,246,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
now compare that to the subaru dealership in town...I drove a wrx and wanted to see what it could do (hello, it's a sports car. i'm not going to be driving it like a grandma). but anytime i got on the throttle the salesman told me "hey, slow down there". so I drove it back, gave him the keys and told him to not bother calling me because he just lost the sale.
And I think that should be the same experience when you test drive a BMW. In fact, a sales person was taking a turn fairly quickly just to show how the car handles. Not sure if the BMW dealership sales people do that here but that was in a different city.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 AM

810 posts, read 1,246,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
You know these guys are paid only when they sell a car. You need to at least show interest. There is no incentive to help someone knowingly wasting time.
I would agree. Sometimes a sales person can become too eager to let you test drive and I think that is a bad thing. They should find out from the buyers their needs and ask questions before giving them the prize. Letting someone drive the car is not the ultimate hook to close the deal. In fact, that kills it sometimes.

You will notice the higher-end vehicle dealerships offer a different experience when it comes to buying cars. The sales people are not your average Joe and they can see someone who is just messing around miles away.

Last edited by Quattro72; 10-01-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-01-2011, 09:03 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,951,708 times
I buy nothing but pickups. I've dealt with Chaparral Ford in Devine so long that a test drive isn't required. If anything is wrong with the truck they're going to take care of it immediately. I've bought trucks from them and sealed the deal over the phone considering our long term relationship. They know how I keep my vehicles and we don't lie to each other. The last Supercrew I bought took me 45 minutes from drive in to drive out. It's the most painless I've ever experienced. The absolute worst I ever experienced was at Bluebonnet Ford in New Braunsfels. I was there 4 hours after I decided on a truck and still don't have a clue what they wanted for the truck or the interest rate. I guess it's uncommon for them to deal with someone with pristine credit and they didn't know what to do with me. I left the dealership and won't be back. It's Chaparral or nothing as far as I'm concerned. Only down side to them, they have a huge selection of trucks but not many cars so selection is limited. Might check out their online inventory if considering a car. If you like doing business with a country style approach and no arm twisting to get you to buy, Chaparral is the right dealership for you. It's located about 15 minutes out I35 southwest of San Antonio.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:25 PM

777 posts, read 1,437,091 times
Here's what the OP is trying to avoid...

Badger car salesman - YouTube
great laughs!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,949,548 times
^ Hilarious!

A good way to get a good deal on a car is to email a few dealers in the area with the exact car you want and ask them to give you their best price. Tell them you are also talking to other dealers, as well.

I only deal with the internet department when I buy cars. The one at Northside Ford is in the back of the building...you drive to the back and take the back door. Pretty slick. Oh, and....before you sign the check...prop up your eyes and say..."this includes a free tank of gas, right?" Works like a charm everytime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio