Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 PM

10 posts, read 41,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameltoes View Post
I see that you mention Florida as one of your locations. We just moved from the Tampa Bay Area 2+ months ago. We chose Floresville, on the southeast side of San Antonio to make our home. Good prices on acreage if you are looking for country living. If you are interested in more info, let me know and I might be able to help you narrow down the area that would make you happy. I was on the internet for months doing research before we moved. Some things just aren't quite the same in person.
Hi!
Not Florida the state...I live in a very small town of southern NY named Florida. I have been doing a lot of research on the area. My main concerns are good schools, no/low crime, affordable housing, nice people, convenient shopping, and opportunity for employment (I'm a Med Lab Tech formerly a Phlebotomist). It seems that Guadelupe coutyt may be a nice fit. My boyfriend's sister lives in New Braunfels and she's been giving me a lot fo helpful info, but it may be different for a newcomer. Any info you can offer would be GREAT!!! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,031 times
Default Fomer Northeasterner

I have to say that after living most of my life in the Northeast, I sincerely loved the winter months in San Antonio. I did not miss the frigid temps or snow. Plus, not as much wear and tear on our cars. And there are Targets everywhere and more being built all the time. The Seaworld area is expanding with new growth all the time. Seaworld area is part of the Northside ISD and although I don't have children in the school system, I hear good things about it. And today, I was given hope when I read on the forum that San Antonio is opening more Dunkin Donuts! I have missed them on every corner!

Last edited by FoleySRT8; 09-10-2007 at 07:50 PM..

Old 09-10-2007, 07:48 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfirefly View Post
Hi!
Not Florida the state...I live in a very small town of southern NY named Florida. I have been doing a lot of research on the area. My main concerns are good schools, no/low crime, affordable housing, nice people, convenient shopping, and opportunity for employment (I'm a Med Lab Tech formerly a Phlebotomist). It seems that Guadelupe coutyt may be a nice fit. My boyfriend's sister lives in New Braunfels and she's been giving me a lot fo helpful info, but it may be different for a newcomer. Any info you can offer would be GREAT!!! Thank you
Alamo Ranch sounds like your cup o' tea. It's fairly new, low/no crime area with affordable housing, nice people, convenient shopping and fairly short commute to the Medical center.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:49 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoleySRT8 View Post
I have to say that after living most of my life in the Northeast, I sincerely loved the winter months in San Antonio. I did not miss the frigid temps or snow. Plus, not as much wear and tear on our cars.
That two day ice lock down sure wasn't fun though. lol

Old 09-10-2007, 08:05 PM

Smile Good to hear NYer point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoleySRT8 View Post
I have to say that after living most of my life in the Northeast, I sincerely loved the winter months in San Antonio. I did not miss the frigid temps or snow. Plus, not as much wear and tear on our cars. And there are Targets everywhere and more being built all the time. The Seaworld area is expanding with new growth all the time. Seaworld area is part of the Northside ISD and although I don't have children in the school system, I hear good things about it. And today, I was given hope when I read on the forum that San Antonio is opening more Dunkin Donuts! I have missed them on every corner!
Hey, it's great to hear from a new yorker's point of view. Thanks for the helpful info. I checked out the area on Google Earth and I did notice a lot of Target's. They don't have Walmart? What's the popular grocery stores there?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:07 PM

Question Ice lock down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
That two day ice lock down sure wasn't fun though. lol
How low do the temps get during winter? You had an ice lock down?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesfirefly View Post
How low do the temps get during winter? You had an ice lock down?
The lowest I have seen is 19 degrees many winters ago. Normally, the coldest it gets is around 28-32 degrees. Last winter was different because we had cold weather AND rain as it normally doesn't rain much during the winter months here.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Are fireworks legal in Comal, Guadalupe, or Bexar counties? I was told within city limits, they are not. What areas (or towns) would they be legal in?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 PM

330 posts, read 936,873 times
Default moving to SA

I am aLso from NY a native in fact and also got tired of the struggle to make ends meet I love it in SA my sister and my daugjhter & her family also moved here. There are plenty of jobs in SA in the medical field we live in the Stone Oak & canyon springs area -- They are building a new Methodist Hosp in our area and we also have No. Central Bapist hosp. There is some traffice congestion 10-15 mins .. my comute in Ny took 1hr and 15 mins a dayto the city from Staten Island!! The crime is low and the schools are much better here in this area I am not sure of other communities or subdivisions here. the house prices for a new one 3 beds in this area runs from 175,000 & up they are mostly gated and have nice community pools tennis courts and there is plenty of golf here. It's like country club living!! hope this helps!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio