U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM

69 posts, read 159,821 times

Advertisements

The last few days I've been dying, am I the only one?
Is this the begging of a traditional allergy season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 02:24 PM

522 posts, read 993,347 times
it seems whenever it rains, or when temps change, stuff decides to bloom and thus allergies attack. i don't know what's the usual "season" for allergies in sa, since it seems like there's always something irritating in the air in san antonio, year around.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:56 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,588,261 times
Rain brings mold. Mt. Cedar is about to start blooming. One solution is the Neti Pot. I use it daily and haven't had a sinus infection in 2 years. Trust me it works!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,226,234 times
Mountain Cedar doesn't start until November, peaking in December and January. Right now what is pollinating is Cedar Elm (btw, not a true cedar but an Elm so unrelated to the Mountain Cedar Allergies), and that bothers the heck out of a lot of folks. Thankfully it is short!

There are other things pollinating right now, but Cedar Elm is probably your culprit. Combined with the changing season/front in place, it is making lots of people miserable.

I have to second the Neti Pot. Fantastic. A little weird to get used to...took me 3 days to get the cojones up to try it, but when I did, wow!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:09 PM

74 posts, read 157,268 times
My husband is having allergies really bad this past week also so something is out there. Usually I start getting my allergies right after New Years and they don't stop until the middle or end of Feburary. As for the Netti Pot thing I was so desprate last year I used that with 1200mg of Benadryal daily and none of it was helping I tried Pill after Pill (everything that was OTC) and was so exhausted that I finally broke down telling my husband one night I'm done I give up and that I hope I would die that night. After my husband saw me in this condition he got me in the doctor (we don't have insurance so that is why I didn't go before) and the doctor told me that I shouldn't of used that Netti Pot every day he said I burned my nasal lineing and that is why I was so misserable. It felt like I had been snuffing pepper for a whole 2 months. So hopefully I learned my lesson and this year I won't get desperate and I will only use the Netti Pot once a week.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:11 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,588,261 times
I use mine w/o salt. Just straight up warm water in the shower. Keeps everything flushed and proper. And yeah the first time I used it I almost puked!!! Definitely takes a few times before you get the hang of it.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,353 times
probably just mold like someone else eluded to. haven't had it in a while with so little rain.
the real allergens (including mt. cedar), won't show up until November. i'm no weatherman, this is just my humble opinion based off of the past few years and my allergy patterns.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM

6,198 posts, read 8,668,086 times
ugh. Yes. Started yesterday, but I thought it was because I changed up my exercise routine. I guess not.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,753,974 times
If you don't mind addictions, Zicam is awesome. I've been using it (eerrrrrr.... addicted) for about 3 months now. Can't breathe without it. And I was downing about 3 Benedryl every 4 hours. It wasn't helping much, so I went to Walgreens and asked the Pharmacist what to do (cuz altho we have amazing insurance, I hate going to the Doc). When I told him how much Benedryl I was taking and how often I was huffing Zicam, the look of shock on his face was amazing (tho somewhat frightening). Allegra D has now been my friend. (Still somewhat addicted to Zicam. Just can't get past how amazing it feels to breathe after that initial blast of brain searing sensation. )

Old 10-01-2011, 07:06 AM

11,167 posts, read 20,502,915 times
For me, it's not allergies right now...I'm coming down with a cold. I always get one right after the kids go back to school.

Allegra seems to work a lot better than claritin, and without the dry mouth that zyrtec causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio