Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times

Advertisements

I think Irving's Las Colinas is somewhat similar, with water taxis. I believe downtown Houston was supposed to have one on Buffalo Bayou, but I don't know if it ever got off the ground. Some places in the SE have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
WoW... There are alot more than I thought...

I wonder if any of the copycats bring in as much money/tourism to the city as the SA Riverwalk does...

Also, I am thinking that the SA Riverwalk was the first of it's kind??? But I have no idea... Does anyone know if our city was the first with this type of concept???

Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
yeah okc has one. great area there to hangout but sa has them beat. milwaukee has a riverwalk too but it's not as touristy and not as accessible for pedestrians to walk at.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:53 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
There has been talk (and some construction) in Brownsville for a riverwalk. They have parts of it up.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
I've never see any graffiti or homeless peeps on the Riverwalk, even down to the King Williams + Missions area. I think SA is doing a dang great job at that. used to walk it every weekend.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:16 AM

62 posts, read 143,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
WoW... There are alot more than I thought...

I wonder if any of the copycats bring in as much money/tourism to the city as the SA Riverwalk does...

Also, I am thinking that the SA Riverwalk was the first of it's kind??? But I have no idea... Does anyone know if our city was the first with this type of concept???
I think the person who sbmitted "Venice, Italy" was spot on. I hate to break it to you, but over 80% of the world's population lives near naviagable waterways. The fact that San Antonio slapped some stucco and Mexican food restautants around an innavigable stream is not really an innovation for the ages, nor does it make the rest of human civilization "copycats".

To be certain, the San Antonio river was little more than a murky cistern of sewage with no commercial value (some argue it still is), and San Antonio might be tops in reclaiming a worthless stream into something you can eat pizza nearby. Most cities don't promote the river for being more than it is (Thames, Hudson, Chicago, Mississippi, and Charles Rivers come to mind) - and I guess San Antonio does win that contest.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Oswego, NY at the junction of Lake Ontario and the Oswego River, which is part of the barge canal system for locking through commercial and pleasure boats past the waterfalls and into the Great Lakes system, has a riverwalk that spans several miles along the entire length of the city. It employs bridges and a pedestrian railroad bridge to go from one side of the river to the other and divides the center of the city. An unused rail tunnel connects to one of many parks and the riverwalk in turn connect to museums, marinas, restaurants, and parks along the lakefront. It's more for recreational use than not.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 10-01-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
I have visited the riverwalk at Bricktown. It may be cleaner and nicer...but it's boring. I enjoy an evening on our riverwalk listening to jazz at Jim Cullen's and eating at the restaurants. It's lively and fun.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLumbergh View Post
To be certain, the San Antonio river was little more than a murky cistern of sewage with no commercial value (some argue it still is), and San Antonio might be tops in reclaiming a worthless stream into something you can eat pizza nearby. Most cities don't promote the river for being more than it is (Thames, Hudson, Chicago, Mississippi, and Charles Rivers come to mind) - and I guess San Antonio does win that contest.
Do you know the history of the riverwalk in SA? It's more than a worthless stream. Native populations resided on the river.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Graffiti on the Riverwalk? Litter? huh? yeah right.
Exactly... My husband is a Police Officer on the Riverwalk and he works the overnight hours, 1015pm - 615am...

He says graffiti needs to be reported asap... Once reported there is a 12 hour turn around time in which the graffiti needs to be removed...

Dh says he gets comments all the time from tourists who tell him and other officers how happy they are with their visit, with the riverwalk, how clean it is, how fun it is, how there is no other like it... One tourist told Dh last week that they were surprised that the Riverwalk was so big and yet there was no graffiti on it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio