U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:33 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times

Advertisements

Síclovía - San Antonio's Family adventure

I'm going. Are you? Four miles isn't much of a ride but it looks like fun anyhow.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,748,293 times
Nope. The idea seems more interesting than actually doing it would be. I would have to drive there, find some place to park not too far from the closed streets, and then what? Go walk/run down the street? Meh. It's much less hassle to just go to the gym like normal.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:48 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
I guess it seems fun to me because my whole family rides bikes for exercise, even the little one.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM

932 posts, read 1,748,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I guess it seems fun to me because my whole family rides bikes for exercise, even the little one.
That would definitely make a difference. No family here, so, it just wouldn't be fun for me. Also doesn't help that I don't own a bike.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:42 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,425 times
ugh. i have to deal with this mess tomorrow and i have 2 moves scheduled and a few ticked off customers with computers who dont know the backroads around here too well.

will there be stink bombs? maybe

Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 AM

330 posts, read 500,559 times
Yes! Getting brood ready now. Should be a great time.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Okay...I'll be the jerk and say it....

WHY? This is a street, designed and built for CARS - NOT for recreational activities. We have a HUGE park right next door - why not go there?? Or any OTHER park in the area? Why shut down a thoroughfare for a couple of hours, incurring the costs of LEO's to enforce the roadway blockage, the chance of some drunk idiot to drive through same - all of that??
How much did just coming up with and promoting this cost? In a tight economy, with a city supposedly trying to be fiscally responsible.......THIS????
Yeah - I wanna play soccer/football on pavement.....let me have my kids play "tag" out there on that nice, oily roadway......watch the nice tax $$$ being sucked down for some grand gesture with no real benefit.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 AM

204 posts, read 288,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Okay...I'll be the jerk and say it....

WHY? This is a street, designed and built for CARS - NOT for recreational activities. We have a HUGE park right next door - why not go there?? Or any OTHER park in the area? Why shut down a thoroughfare for a couple of hours, incurring the costs of LEO's to enforce the roadway blockage, the chance of some drunk idiot to drive through same - all of that??
How much did just coming up with and promoting this cost? In a tight economy, with a city supposedly trying to be fiscally responsible.......THIS????
Yeah - I wanna play soccer/football on pavement.....let me have my kids play "tag" out there on that nice, oily roadway......watch the nice tax $$$ being sucked down for some grand gesture with no real benefit.
Oh come on.. the whole purpose is to increase visibility. In a city that's not known for physical activity, this sort of thing might just be the spark that someone needs to pick up cycling or running. Four hours on a Sunday isn't going to cause much disruption.

Although with a name like TexasRedneck, I'd expect it to be lost on you.

I'm much more comfortable with my tax dollars being spent on this, rather than changing a street name to reflect someone who had little impact/influence on San Antonio.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Oh come on.. the whole purpose is to increase visibility. In a city that's not known for physical activity, this sort of thing might just be the spark that someone needs to pick up cycling or running. Four hours on a Sunday isn't going to cause much disruption.

Although with a name like TexasRedneck, I'd expect it to be lost on you.

I'm much more comfortable with my tax dollars being spent on this, rather than changing a street name to reflect someone who had little impact/influence on San Antonio.
Sorry, but TRN makes a good point; there are numerous venues that would be much better for such activities without shutting down a major thoroughfare in the city!

Why can't this be held in McAllister Park, down along the Leon Creek Greenway or one of the many other areas where they could accomplish the same results without such disruption? Actually, it would make more sense to hold it in those places because it would encourage folks to return. Once siclovia is over, you can't walk/bike in that area so I don't understand the logic in choosing that location. Additionally, the logistics (read: cost) of holding it in a location that is designed for such activities would be considerably lower.

I often wonder the logic of shutting down roads for events like these (bicycle races, marathons, Formula One races), at least in some places they try to minimize the impact on local traffic, but in this case it just doesn't make sense to hold this event in this location when there are much better venues for it.

Plus, I seriously doubt this event is gonna trigger some huge "fitness craze" in SA, despite the wistful dreams of a select few. This city has had similar events in the past, and yet have any produced the promised results claimed by the promoters.

Lastly, while some may think this "promotes" physical fitness through "visibility," I would argue that it puts off an equal if not greater number of people who have to deal with the consequences of the disruption to appease a small number of "elitist athletes" such as the bikers and runners I have come across in this city who while using public roads want everyone else to obey the laws around them but who frequently run red lights, wear illegal headphones while biking/running or use more than their allotted amount of lane because they want "their space." These individuals are especially bad on the 1604 access roads on the north and northwest sides of the city...

Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
The wrong execution of the right idea never accomplishes anything. The concept of "turn(ing) busy city streets into large recreational areas for people to enjoy" makes no sense whatsoever. We have lots of parks and other locations that are "large recreational areas for people to enjoy," why not use those intead? Our tax money paid for those streets to drive our vehicles on, not to be used as a place to play dodge ball. It's a stupid idea, period.

What's next, closing down IH-10 so people can rollerblade on it?!?

Last edited by Beretta; 10-02-2011 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: post you quoted has been deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio