U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM

10,407 posts, read 12,669,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
In case anyone would like to know when Ross will be opening up. I posted on the mall's facebook page and they replied back:

"Ross store opens late Spring 2012! Yeah! Located across from Hobby Lobby and Burlington Coat Factory."
Thanks for the info.

They are also putting in something else new. I have no idea what it is, but I saw some major construction going on at the west edge of the mall exterior recently, near Fredericksburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Thanks for the info.

They are also putting in something else new. I have no idea what it is, but I saw some major construction going on at the west edge of the mall exterior recently, near Fredericksburg.
I saw that too about a month ago. Maybe some touching up or something?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:48 AM

486 posts, read 869,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
In case anyone would like to know when Ross will be opening up. I posted on the mall's facebook page and they replied back:

"Ross store opens late Spring 2012! Yeah! Located across from Hobby Lobby and Burlington Coat Factory."
They are really taking their time...a new store can be ready in 3-4 months or even less. Kind of weird that they are not trying to open in time for Easter, which usually is good time for apparel retailed. Sounds like they are in no hurry to open in this mall...they must have gotten a killer deal on leasing, but not really sure it will pay back...

Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,404,814 times
It's a shame the state of wonderland mall, what I dont understand is why they did not have a target enterance to the mall? I think that would have helped the mall a bit, and maybe they should have put it where MW stood. In San Diego a mall converted an old MW into a 2 floor target pretty neat, I had never seen a 2 story target before. As for malls yes sadly they are dying, In Austin the Highland mall that I thought was up to par with North Star here back in the day is on life support. They have lost all the anchors and now ACC has opened a campus there, it seems outdoor shopping strips are the fade now. In Austin visit the domain that is now the trend of today.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,271 times
Crossroads is the dirtmall! http://www.empireonline.com/images/f.../mall-rats.jpg

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-14-2011 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted picture - post link only!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM

34 posts, read 70,751 times
Default The slot car track is still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
The Slot car track is still there. Maybe Bob Skell, Joe Baker, Mike Roden, Billy Curry and the boy's of summer will come back and save the place!
Wow, I can't believe that track is still there. Can you still run cars on it?

Not to date myself, but that mall used to be truly wonderful. My family moved to SA in about 68/69, and we actually lived for a while in the Siesta Motel right across the street. That Jim's there on the corner of 410, classic. Going there for breakfast one morning I actually could see being there back in childhood on like a Fri evening.

I think that to make that mall viable the city would have to do a lot of revamping the other area around it, I hate to say but my whole experience with that area on returning, was that a lot of it had become pretty ghettoey since we left in the early 70s.

But a lot of good memories of the place, the racing track, the model shop that sold cars, the Tandy store downstairs, orange julius upstairs, wow a few years ago i went through the bottom floor of that place, and you know that feeling you got when you were a kid in a mall, those long hallways out to the parking lot, etc, it all came back. The Whopper Burger that used to be next to the mall. Neat.

I parked in that underground lot that my mom used to with us and our station wagon, under where the Rhodes was, I guess it's Burlington now. I actually have to go back and take a picture, there's a door you open into the lobby of the elevator you take up to the store. (My mom passed a long time ago now in 88). I just looked at that door handle and thought, "God, my mom pulled that very handle."

It was nice to remember all the good times we had in San Antonio. Actually we lived in a development off of Callahan and I-10, and used to shop at the HEB etc at Colonies North also. It's all changed, but a lot of the original places are still there, just different or shuttered. I can remember seeing Willy Wonka at that Colonies North theatre, you just can't erase that kind of thing.

It seems we have created by our constantly "growing" society this need to move beyond as soon as something's built, and then leaving a lot of pockets of poverty behind, etc. I can remember when a lot of these areas, Vance Jackson, West Ave and 410, were very happening. Alfies Fish N Chips. People in San Antonio probably don't realize what a cool city it really is. Very much like California, I thought, when I went back, and saw the nicer houses in my old development. And when I lived there back then it had a lot of that vibration to it, the energy of the times.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 PM

34 posts, read 70,751 times
I can remember back in like 69, 70, on Saturday nights, upper Fallen Leaf Lane, three kids playing power trio rock, Creem or whatever, into the night, loud!, and none of the neighbors complained. A party! People were cool back then.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM

242 posts, read 592,653 times
Since it seems to have been a while since anyone has been there (at least according to this thread), wondering how it is now, mid-2012? Anyone been there lately? I hear that they have a Market Days event each month - anyone have any info on that?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM

392 posts, read 624,571 times
I know they have some model railroads in there, which are pretty neat.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:38 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
I know they have some model railroads in there, which are pretty neat.
Actually, if I am not mistake there are two model train exhibits housed in Wonderland Mall.

Some might see that as a desparate attempt to bring folks in; but considering all the unoccupied space in there, it might simply be a way not to have more of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio