U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 06:11 PM

10,626 posts, read 12,770,787 times

Advertisements

I was walking through Wonderland (Crossroads Mall) this morning just because I had not been there in several years. I noticed that there was going to be a new Ross Dress For Less clothing store. It looks as if it will be occupying a large vacant area in the main upstairs mall corridor. I think that might be a big help.

The mall has been suffering ever since Montgomery Wards closed down their stores several years ago, which was a big blow to many malls across the country. That resulted in this mall losing many of its stores because people stopped shopping there after Wards closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,956,751 times
Excellent!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,191,209 times
Good news. I really miss Montgomery Wards!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,327,212 times
Lord knows SA needs another Ross Dress for Less.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:50 PM

14,629 posts, read 31,242,104 times
Have to agree, SA really doesn't, but the mall sure does. Or something. It's just pitiful in there. Not sure a Ross is going to do much, especially if they allow it to turn in to another Burlington. I'm still scarred from my last visit to that hellhole.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,024,738 times
I saw the sign about the new Ross Dress for Less last week as well! This is great news.

Still, I really hope it sticks around and doesn't go the way of all the stores which have closed there in the mall. It's such a shame that the mall goes empty without much use for retailers nowadays.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:32 AM

7,691 posts, read 8,158,562 times
That mall has been suffering since long before Montgomery Wards pulled out. I was the Asst. Mgr at the Radio Shack from the early to mid 90's and even then there wasnt much to speak of. Other than Jackson and Lujan it was pretty much just a hallway to join MW, Burlington, Hobby Lobby, Steinmart, and Radio Shack. I do miss the Mexican food place that was there at the time that sold burritos the size of footballs for under $2.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:15 AM

10,626 posts, read 12,770,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
That mall has been suffering since long before Montgomery Wards pulled out. I was the Asst. Mgr at the Radio Shack from the early to mid 90's and even then there wasnt much to speak of. Other than Jackson and Lujan it was pretty much just a hallway to join MW, Burlington, Hobby Lobby, Steinmart, and Radio Shack. I do miss the Mexican food place that was there at the time that sold burritos the size of footballs for under $2.
I guess it was never like North Star or Ingram, at least in my memory. But it wasn't bad from what I remember. I can remember a bookstore, a record/CD store, a pet store, a Christian bookstore. That was in the late 90's. I'm sure there was a lot more, those being just the ones that were of interest to me. And it seemed fairly busy at the time.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 AM

7,691 posts, read 8,158,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I guess it was never like North Star or Ingram, at least in my memory. But it wasn't bad from what I remember. I can remember a bookstore, a record/CD store, a pet store, a Christian bookstore. That was in the late 90's. I'm sure there was a lot more, those being just the ones that were of interest to me. And it seemed fairly busy at the time.
With the exception of the Christian book store (Scripture Stall wasnt it?) I dont remember any of those places being there when I worked there. I certainly wasnt saying it should be like Ingram (in its heyday) or Northstar, I just remember the mall being so empty all the time, or if a business moved in, they were gone in a matter of months.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,709,738 times
It's sad what's happened to so many of the malls. The few that are still thriving are too far away, so I rarely go to any mall. I remember the heyday of S.A. malls, when they were full of both stores and shoppers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio