U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:44 PM

418 posts, read 687,371 times

Advertisements

1. what's the weather like?

Hot during the summer.
Rain is torrential when it comes, not the gentle all day rain.
"Winter" here is like summer in a lot of other places.

2. jobs?

Sure, there are jobs here.... I saw some jobs advertised at
the KFT today such as District Manager for $75K/year.

3. attractions?

I hear those are the Alamo and Riverwalk... ALL the time.
...but once you have done the tourist thing you'll likely
be like the natives and not visit those places too often.

4. culture?

Plenty of Spanish influence with Mexico so close.

The place is bilingual with English & Spanish.

5. friendly people?

Yes, very... but you too need to be engaging.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:04 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by six2211 View Post
I moved from Bend to San Antonio this last July. I have had every person I'm around tell me that this was THE hottest summer on record..even the native Texans were gettin fed up.
Well the move has been a good one, and I would not discourage it one bit!
Today I got to be outside gardening while getting a tan, my friends back home in Portland have begun the '300 days of rain' time of year. Although I missed all the outdoor activities that OR offers, I am sure to find lots to do here in TX now that it is more comfortable outside.
p.s. if you are happy..you will be happy wherever you are ;-)
Wait, haven't you heard, there's no way you can be happy to San Antonio! Nor can all those other people who love it here!

Once again...

It's amazing how a select few continually claim that everyone hates it here, when the vast majority say otherwise!

And it's really nice that some allege the OP is drunk because of the time she posted. Not surprisingly, it's the same crew that constantly disparages this place!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,012,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Have you considered Austin? Austin would have a closer feel and mentality to Oregon.
Maybe they aren't looking for a place like Oregon.

Just a thought.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 PM

204 posts, read 288,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Wait, haven't you heard, there's no way you can be happy to San Antonio! Nor can all those other people who love it here!

Once again...

It's amazing how a select few continually claim that everyone hates it here, when the vast majority say otherwise!

And it's really nice that some allege the OP is drunk because of the time she posted. Not surprisingly, it's the same crew that constantly disparages this place!
Kinda like how you were hell bent against Siclovia because you didn't agree with the notion of it, when tens of thousands of people embraced it and enjoyed it.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 AM

5,621 posts, read 6,404,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Kinda like how you were hell bent against Siclovia because you didn't agree with the notion of it, when tens of thousands of people embraced it and enjoyed it.
MMM was giving the impression that enjoyment of 15,000+ people being out of the house and exercising on Sunday wasn't worth the cost of closing down the street and police enforcement involved.

Maybe some people enjoy these kind of activities more than gun shows and German beer-fests.

We all have different ideas of where we want to be and what we enjoy, no reason to be mean about it.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Well, maybe if you actually paid attention to why I was against the event, it wasn't the premise itself but the ridiculous location!

I am all for getting people out and active, but shutting down four miles of downtown roads to do so makes no sense when it could have easily be held at one of the many large city parks instead.

And it wasn't "tens of thousands," the estimate was 15K at even that seems overinflated based on the pictures published by the local media. Put 15K people in an area that size and they will be a lot more crowded than what was shown. I suspec that estimate came from the event organizers in an attempt to make it seem more popular than it was.

But I don't see anyone jumping on those who allege that the OP was drunk or must be a drug user, so I guess those assumptions are acceptable!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Those *allegations* were removed by the mod and yet you keep referring to them. ONE person said it. Big deal. I say all the time "so-and-so must be smoking crack if they say do think fill-in-the-blank". Lots of people do. Also where did anyone claim that EVERYONE hates it here? Nowhere that I can see.

Being overly defensive of San Antonio is just not good. I used to get sensitive on here about my adopted hometown, too, but the more I started really paying attention to certain things that I'd grown used to (tagging, endless litter, the dust and grime here, the fact that a $12 an hour job is supposed to be something people get excited about, and many other things) the more I realized and admitted to myself that this is no utopia.

Sure, it's been a great place to raise my little family, have an affordable home, get out and do some fun things, but there is plenty of room for improvement and that needs to be communicated here on a relocation forum.

Back to the OP, who seems to have disappeared: In my opinion, moving anywhere in this economy without a job lined up is foolish, plain and simple. The climate change is going to be a SHOCK to you, something you can live with? Only you can decide. There is no shortage of things to do here, but most require at least some money which leads me back to the job situation. So, I would recommend a visit during the summer, first thing, because the heat here, one would think, would be a major dealbreaker for someone from Oregon.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 AM

74 posts, read 156,749 times
[quote=rd2007;21137975]Right, because most normal people decide to completely up and move to a place they've never been, with no job prospects, who knows how much money available

My family actually did that 4 years ago from Utah and we are now making triple what we were making in Utah. Cost of living is cheaper, and yes it is a lot hotter. We actually love it and will never even thinking of moving back to Utah. Utah is a lot more beautiful, (we lived in the southern part near Zion's National Park, and the Grand Canyon) if we went north 40 miles we have the Mountains with snow and ski resorts, then if we went south 100 miles we had Las Vegas, but the cons are very rude people depressing economy and a 1500 sqft home would of cost you $360,000. while you make only $8 and hour. I always thought people were crazy who would move into Utah wondering what the heck were they thinking like some of you natives think about here.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:27 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
4 years ago the economy was in a little better shape than it is today. Not a whole lot but definitely not as bad.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 AM

15,320 posts, read 27,461,888 times
Reported posts run aplenty. Closed for Moderator review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or