Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:16 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I'm moving to Dallas next week, and I'm sure I'll still post on the SA forum. I don't even think I've posted on the Dallas forum yet. I've DM'd a member from there but that's about it.
Have a good move, Sapphire...and I agree...I'd miss reading your comments if you were to stop. I haven't lived in SA in years but the folks are still there. I enjoy reading and posting on here also because it keeps me up to date on what's happening "back home".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,800,944 times
Granted I live in 78251, but I like living in the area. It is all about how you carry yourself. If you look weak and vulnerable of course you will be taken advantage of. Stand up for yourselves and don't rely on others to help you out for anything. Protect yourself, your family, and your property by any means necessary. You're welcome.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:51 AM

381 posts, read 767,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Granted I live in 78251, but I like living in the area. It is all about how you carry yourself. If you look weak and vulnerable of course you will be taken advantage of. Stand up for yourselves and don't rely on others to help you out for anything. Protect yourself, your family, and your property by any means necessary. You're welcome.
I lived off potranco
And culebra for about a month, which I think is 78251 area also, which is where I might buy a house near old Grissom road. I didn't think that the neighborhood was that bad. Now the neighborhood around my job, which is around loop 410 and Perrin beitle looks a little more scary to me at night.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:15 PM

147 posts, read 309,902 times
Don't know why just 250 is getting all the trash talking when from what I’ve seen, it's happening everywhere, to include the northside. In fact, you can't go anywhere, even the rural areas without hearing "how bad it is in their neighborhood." Yes, 250 is not the greatest but you can't tell me one is any better. I've lived in Silver Creek for over 30 yrs and never have encounter any problems

Am I too positive, wearing my rose color glasses too tight? Probably, but I am very happy and fortunate to have spent 30 wonderful years in 78250. It was hard to hear so much negative things and this little old lady had to throw in her 4cents worth.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 AM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
When we moved into 78250 in 1999, I think we hit it at the perfect time. We moved there specifically to be near the schools we wanted our kids in, and now, I'm not sure we would make the same decision. We lived in Silver Creek (hence my user name) for 10 years and while I don't think our specific area is as bad as some people suggest, it would be a lie to suggest that the overall area has not deteriorated due to over building and the number of rentals that have overtaken the area.

For the people that live in the predominate HOA out there (GNWCIA), it is extremely frustrating to watch the place go down becasue such a huge number of renters have no concept of deed restrictions and the property owners don't bother to tell them about the need to maintain homes and yards. If you are the lone homeowner on a street and all of your neighbors are renters and/or section 8 (no offense to either), it is a losing battle to maintain your property value while those homes around you fall into disrepair.

We moved out of 78250 just about a year ago, and honestly, it was the best thing we could have done, for us. Lots of great memories and friends, but I don't miss the traffic, the tagging, and as the OP mentioned, the loud thumping. Having said that, we just drove through our old neighborhood a few weeks ago, and honestly, it looked better than it did when we left. Maybe I was the bad influence!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 AM

381 posts, read 767,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
When we moved into 78250 in 1999, I think we hit it at the perfect time. We moved there specifically to be near the schools we wanted our kids in, and now, I'm not sure we would make the same decision. We lived in Silver Creek (hence my user name) for 10 years and while I don't think our specific area is as bad as some people suggest, it would be a lie to suggest that the overall area has not deteriorated due to over building and the number of rentals that have overtaken the area.

For the people that live in the predominate HOA out there (GNWCIA), it is extremely frustrating to watch the place go down becasue such a huge number of renters have no concept of deed restrictions and the property owners don't bother to tell them about the need to maintain homes and yards. If you are the lone homeowner on a street and all of your neighbors are renters and/or section 8 (no offense to either), it is a losing battle to maintain your property value while those homes around you fall into disrepair.

We moved out of 78250 just about a year ago, and honestly, it was the best thing we could have done, for us. Lots of great memories and friends, but I don't miss the traffic, the tagging, and as the OP mentioned, the loud thumping. Having said that, we just drove through our old neighborhood a few weeks ago, and honestly, it looked better than it did when we left. Maybe I was the bad influence!
So where did you move to? I was thinking about the converse area close to the air force base

Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
So where did you move to? I was thinking about the converse area close to the air force base
We went the other direction - IH-35 south between Lytle and Natalia. No traffic and lots of wide open space!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 PM

88 posts, read 286,742 times
I absolutely loved the 5 1/2 years spent in the "cream puff" of a house purchased in Emerald Valley in 2000. Although the yard was small in comparison to the house I lived in 78201, it worked out great and I had some truly excellent, long term neighbors. Also, being an avid offroad cyclist, I had quick access to some fine mountain bike trails in the area. Had the love of a wonderful woman not drawn me away to TN, I imagine I'd probably still be living there, as long as the same neighbors stayed put. Must agree with SC78250 about the noise, traffic, and all of that ridiculous graffiti. Seemed to be getting worse every year.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Sad to see fresh new graffiti on the road signs around here.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There B4 View Post
I absolutely loved the 5 1/2 years spent in the "cream puff" of a house purchased in Emerald Valley in 2000. Although the yard was small in comparison to the house I lived in 78201, it worked out great and I had some truly excellent, long term neighbors. Also, being an avid offroad cyclist, I had quick access to some fine mountain bike trails in the area. Had the love of a wonderful woman not drawn me away to TN, I imagine I'd probably still be living there, as long as the same neighbors stayed put. Must agree with SC78250 about the noise, traffic, and all of that ridiculous graffiti. Seemed to be getting worse every year.
Sorry to tell you but your "cream puff" is more than likely a day-old donut on the rack near the milk in the back of Walmart. Sad, too, since it really was nice back in the day. No, it wasn't high-end but the homes were cute and just large enough for a growing family. Lots of military used to live out there and I think a lot of them are long gone. Seems to be a lot of renters now.

The grafitti out here is enough to make you cry. It's just disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio