U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 14,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
No, it isn't. And if you don't live in 78250 you haven't got a clue. It's just as nice as that Wurzbach/Vance jackson area. And yes, that place has gone downhill in the last 20 years. Way downhill. So get off your high horse.
I have lived in the Vance-Jackson/Wurzbach area for 19 years and I do not share your opinion. Properties are just as well maintained now as they were 19 yeaars ago and the crime rate continues to be negligable. Perhaps your reference "gone downhill" is a euphenism for "too many Mexicans".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,157,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvDraper View Post
I have lived in the Vance-Jackson/Wurzbach area for 19 years and I do not share your opinion. Properties are just as well maintained now as they were 19 yeaars ago and the crime rate continues to be negligable. Perhaps your reference "gone downhill" is a euphenism for "too many Mexicans".
Get in line, honey. You're about the 14th person who has hinted that I'm a racist on this forum, without knowing a thing about me. Whatever.

And no, they're not. Shenandoah is a pit now. Used to be nice. Some of the hoods OFF Vance Jackson are still decent......can't even think of their names but there are some. But overall, that area is diminishing just like a lot of the N/NW sides of town.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,414,616 times
Quote:
The area has gone downhill. I don't know how you are saying properties are well maintained in that area. Mexicans or any other race had nothing to do with that...it is all the rental properties. Renters don't care about the homes if they don't own the place.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 16,184 times
Moved to Silver Creek in 1996 and haven't had any issues except 1 break-in on one of our cars about 9 or 10 years ago. Most of the neighbors look out for each other on our street. I work nights and see that traffic is pretty bad in the mornings heading out. The schools here are nice, Kids went to Timberwilde Elem, and now attend Connally Middle and Warren High.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,950,888 times
Neighbors are good here. People always complain (here on the forum) about the renters causing all the trouble, but have any of you actually taken the time to go meet them? They probably wish they could talk to you, too.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 AM

778 posts, read 2,219,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Neighbors are good here. People always complain (here on the forum) about the renters causing all the trouble, but have any of you actually taken the time to go meet them? They probably wish they could talk to you, too.
The issue isn't the renters, it is the high number of rentals. In general, people who choose to rent a home versus moving into an apartment do so for the same reason people want to buy a home vs buy a condo. They want a yard and a place for kids to play. The problem is, many renters are ill equipped for the responsibility of maintaining a home (just as many first time home buyers are). Even worse is when landlords only care about the rent check and not maintaining the house. I have come across many a renter during my time with the HOA there, and they were good people who wanted to maintain the property, but were not willing (and rightfully so) to pay for the landlord's problems. I had one guy tell me that he would be willing to do the work to put up a new fence, but the landlord would not pay for the fence. The end result is, a crappy looking fence and people blaming the guy who lives there for the way the neighborhood goes down.

In a perfect world, you have a few renters sprinkled throughout neighborhoods full of homeowners committed to keeping up property values. These homeowners get to know the renters, teach them the ins and outs of home ownership (yard work, pulling the garbage cans out of the street, getting involved with the community) and eventually, these renters become homeowners themselves with a better understanding of what it takes to maintain a home. Peer pressure really does work.

But in many parts of 78250 (and other areas of SA), you have crappy landlords just trying to make a buck without making needed repairs, and you have many renters who simply don't know or care about the need to keep the place looking good.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM

297 posts, read 622,678 times
Quote:
This is a ridiculous comment. San Antonio is like 90% hispanic how can a comment like this hold any water?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM

381 posts, read 663,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
The issue isn't the renters, it is the high number of rentals. In general, people who choose to rent a home versus moving into an apartment do so for the same reason people want to buy a home vs buy a condo. They want a yard and a place for kids to play. The problem is, many renters are ill equipped for the responsibility of maintaining a home (just as many first time home buyers are). Even worse is when landlords only care about the rent check and not maintaining the house. I have come across many a renter during my time with the HOA there, and they were good people who wanted to maintain the property, but were not willing (and rightfully so) to pay for the landlord's problems. I had one guy tell me that he would be willing to do the work to put up a new fence, but the landlord would not pay for the fence. The end result is, a crappy looking fence and people blaming the guy who lives there for the way the neighborhood goes down.

In a perfect world, you have a few renters sprinkled throughout neighborhoods full of homeowners committed to keeping up property values. These homeowners get to know the renters, teach them the ins and outs of home ownership (yard work, pulling the garbage cans out of the street, getting involved with the community) and eventually, these renters become homeowners themselves with a better understanding of what it takes to maintain a home. Peer pressure really does work.

But in many parts of 78250 (and other areas of SA), you have crappy landlords just trying to make a buck without making needed repairs, and you have many renters who simply don't know or care about the need to keep the place looking good.
I went to see some new houses near Lackland airforce base, and noticed that some of the existing homes were poorly maintained and some of the backyards were full of junk. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I'm assuming that what you pointed out about landlords and renters is happening in that neighborhood.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM

381 posts, read 663,198 times
I went to see one more builder called M/I homes and I like what I see. They look just like the Newleaf homes, but they also have a nice community right off culebra. They have a nice size pool and recration area. Adress: 2118 Estonia Gate 78251. They are built just like the Newleaf homes too and at about the same price.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:00 PM

311 posts, read 745,375 times
We live in the 50 in silvercreek. I love the schools here & thanks to silvercreek78250's hard work with the HOA (before he moved) the graffiti is much less than it used to be....have not seen any new tagging in quite some time. I think they've moved to other parts of town.
Sure we have some crime here but overall, I am happy with the home we got here and with our wonderful neighbors. I am itching to move but it's mostly because we got so used to moving every couple of years with the military ;-) (hubby retired from the military when we moved here)
We liked getting a home that had been here for a while so we didn't run into a mess like those folks in rivermist with the ground washing out from under them.
I've found in my many moves that you can focus on the positive or dwell in the negative. Over all, I like it here & we'll probably stay here for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio