U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 AM

7,642 posts, read 8,087,084 times

Advertisements

I think that is why Wal Mart doesnt bother me. Since I work from home I can drop off my daughter at school and hit Wal Mart in the early morning. There is never anyone there before 8am.

Even during the usual hours nothing compares to HEB's lines in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,099,756 times
Unfortunately, while I prefer to shop at Target, I usually end up going to Walmart because honestly I like the ability to get everything I need in one stop.

Like it or not, Walmart has a much larger selection of items across the board. If you need auto parts such as oil filters or spark plugs, you're not likely to find them at Target.

But given the choice, I'd much rather go to Target for a variety of reasons. First, they do carry a much better selection of items that they do stock. Secondly, the stores are much nicer and as stated, usually less crowded and much cleaner. Then there is the "Wal-Martian" effect of the clientele. Honestly, some days when I am at Walmart, it is like being on the set of a Men in Black movie!

As for "cheap Chinese crap," that makes me laugh because show me one store that doesn't sell items made in Asia! Even "All-American" brands like Harley-Davidson are mostly produced in that part of the world. There are more J-pon and China parts on the Harley than your hardcore Harley buyers will admit or even know about. Forks, shocks, ignitions, electrical components, primary chains, numerous internal parts...you name it, and most likely it was made in Asia. Estimates are one-third to a half, and I've heard that the Honda Gold Wing (made in Ohio) actually has more US-made parts on it than your average Harley! It makes me laugh when a Harley rider calls a Japanese bike a "rice burner," if they only knew the truth...

It's a global economy, folks; so we get the vast majority of our products from overseas. We also ship a lot of our domestically-made products to other nations, and while we're still in a trade deficit, we should be thankful that is the case as otherwise we'd be in a much worse predicament. Plus, the deficit in goods and services decreased to $44.8 billion in July from $51.6 billion (revised) in June, as exports increased and imports decreased, according to the US Census Bureau. At least we're heading in the right direction, despite the efforts of the so-called "Occupy Wall Street" crowd!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM

777 posts, read 1,435,771 times
^^^^^
well said.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,755,548 times
Target is cool if you don't mind overpaying for the same mass produced junk you can get cheaper elsewhere. But maybe the enjoyable experience of everything being nauseatingly red and not having to shop with poor people is worth the higher prices for some.

Say what you will about Walmart, but there isn't a more convenient store in the nation.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:31 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,411,669 times
Some unofficial comparisons:

Is Target Cheaper Than Walmart? One Survey Says Yes - DailyFinance

Is Target Now Cheaper Than Walmart? - The Consumerist

Which is cheaper, Target or Walmart? The answer may surprise you - DailyFinance

Walmart versus Target - price comparison using a Twenty-Item Checklist

Look, what I know is, Target carries most of what I need grocery-wise. And, apples to apples, is usually the same as or within pennies of both WM and HEB. I like that it has a Starbucks (would prefer a Dunkin Donuts), I like that it's pretty clean, and well laid out.

Mostly, I like that people won't STEAL MY SHOPPING BAGS OUT OF MY CART at Target...

Old 10-07-2011, 05:10 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,755,548 times
No way is Super Target cheaper than Super Walmart; atleast, not in Texas. I've done a direct price compare several times myself, and it came out higher on Target's end with every item.

I was in there just this past Wednesday, and couldn't stop shaking my head at the prices.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 PM

581 posts, read 1,035,326 times
I'm a night owl so lines are no problem for me since I can hit up WalMart at 0400 or 0500 in the morning. I pop on my ipod and away i go. Antisocial maybe, but I like it. The only thing I won't by from WalMart is clothing except mass items like socks and furniture. The TV stand from Target is still going strong after 7 yrs so I'll take it. Comparing them is like comparing red apples to green ones. They're both apples it just a matter which one doesn't leave a tart taste in your mouth.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,411,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No way is Super Target cheaper than Super Walmart; atleast, not in Texas. I've done a direct price compare several times myself, and it came out higher on Target's end with every item.

I was in there just this past Wednesday, and couldn't stop shaking my head at the prices.
I guess it would depend on what you buy. For me...it's the same.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 AM

4,753 posts, read 12,298,948 times
I won't step foot in a Walmart. Life is too short to spend my time shopping somewhere so unpleasant.

Unfortunately, Target seems like a store falling on hard times. Their inventory seems greatly reduced from a few years ago and the quality seems poorer than the past. If I really need something, I'll go to Target but mostly I try to stick to amazon.com and I pay for Prime membership to get the free shipping.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:55 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,076,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I won't step foot in a Walmart. Life is too short to spend my time shopping somewhere so unpleasant.
agree, I always feel like I need a bath after leaving walmart. And it's just depressing. I don't care to spend more time than I have to being reminded about the direction our world and waistlines are going. Only go when necessary -- to pick up Halloween snakes for instance. [FYI -- Wal-mart's halloween section sucks if you want decorations. Plenty of candy though, of course...]

I can tolerate Target though....decorated the whole house on a shoestring budget thanks to that store. Can find some pretty decent looking stuff on the cheap. Some targets are MUCH better than others as far as selection I've noticed. Absolutely HATE the one by the palladium theatre on I-10 (too many ill-mannered people there and yes, I'm talking to you rude lady who literally shoved me and the kiddos out of your way so you could bully your way through the door first) and even the one near Stone Oak and 281 is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio