Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,148 times

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings about downtown. To me, it's more a thing if you are a party person. If you're single and like to spend money on bars...you'll have the time of your life there, and often!

If you're in a wonderful relationship...it's a great place to take that special someone for a stroll on the Riverwalk, or to Main Plaza to catch an afternoon music band while buying some raspas and nachos for a snack and drink...or to to take that special someone up to the Tower of the Americas to see the entire city, or to go to any one of the Riverwalk restaurants to dine and feel like the only couple in the world.

However...if you're not a party person (like me) and you're single (like me)...downtown...is...well...boring.

I still like downtown don't get me wrong, but it appeals more to certain individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 07:58 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times
I saw this posted on facebook about the Rivercenter Mall....
EXCLUSIVE: H&M, MARGARITAVILLE, DAVE AND BUSTER'S AND MORE PLANNED FOR RIVERCENTER MALL | METRO DAILY NEWS

Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,417 times
I worked downtown in San Antonio and enjoyed the vibe. I wouldn't live there, yet, because of a lack of services. I enjoyed having a coffee and watching the crowds along the Riverwalk.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:44 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
It's funny that most of the folks who are posting on this thread don't live anywhere near downtown, haven't ever lived downtown and only seem to visit the area when friends are in from out-of-town.

News Flash: There is more to Downtown/Southtown than just the Riverwalk and if you took some time to research it, you'd see that. Parking is not a problem. Thanks to B-Cycle program, biking around the area is easy, a great way to get some exercise and fun. There are no real lack of services in living down here, albeit, we could use a grocery store. Since I now use Greenling, I don't kvetch much about HEB and their wavering about where they may or may not build a location.

There are a slew of locally-owned businesses that thrive Downtown. It simply takes a bit of walking around to find them. Head down Commerce towards Main Plaza (which is also a great spot now that it's been redone) and you'll see quite a bit.

BN

Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM

443 posts, read 1,506,025 times
i like SA downtown too.. i worked there for 5 years until my company moved to different part of town... i actually miss it..

Old 10-11-2011, 05:10 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
I, too, bashed downtown until I actually took the initiative to spend time down there. Wow, was I ever blown away. First, the Riverwalk is amazing for walking...and it gets better the further away from the tourist trap. My favorite riverwalk area is the King Williams section where you can easily climb up to the Guenther House for some great brunch. The B bike rental looks like a good idea...I want to try it with a friend and explore more of the surrounding area. I used to also belittle the River boats until I tried it during the Christmas Holidays at night....lets just say, it actually took my breath away. The lights were amazing at night! Mi Tierra is still my favorite Mexican restaurant. And, La Tuna, the Blue Star bike shop, The Cove and Pearl are in a class of their own. Good stuff! I've been impressed with the downtown area the more I visit it.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
the King Williams section .

ahem, there was only one William, or Wilhem as the case may be. It's King William. No "s"

But you're forgiven the mistake. You're not the first (somebody at the city even had all the new signs printed with the "s"....) Glad you discovered the area in and around downtown. It is indeed great!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:27 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
The Riverwalk at Christmastime is beautiful. Nothing like it in the world.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
But you're forgiven the mistake. You're not the first (somebody at the city even had all the new signs printed with the "s"....) Glad you discovered the area in and around downtown. It is indeed great!

Oh dear. Why doesn't that shock me?

BN

Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Oh dear. Why doesn't that shock me?

BN
Surprised you didn't see it. i think close to half the signs were up before it was caught. The HD paid for the signs, but the city had to pay for re-printing as it was their mistake. Waste and stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio