Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM

39 posts, read 91,496 times

Advertisements

Hey guys at the moment I'm in the middle of all that turmoil where my bank (Bank of America) will begin to charge me 5 bucks a month just to use a piece of plastic aka my debit card. Can any of you recommend a bank for me? IBC Bank so far seems to be the best bank as far as fees go but I would like to see what other options you guys are exploring to avoid those debit fees.

It's time to jump ship.

What are your experiences with other banks and how do they go as far as fees?

Any information would be great.

Last edited by aleks_; 10-09-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,782 times
Hmm..i would like to know too. My sister wants to leave the Devil or urm, sorry...Bank of America and she wants somewhere new. I'm military so I have USAA and Security Service Credit Union. I think they both take civilians with certain restrictions but I'm not too certain. No fees for either.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
Hmm..i would like to know too. My sister wants to leave the Devil or urm, sorry...Bank of America and she wants somewhere new. I'm military so I have USAA and Security Service Credit Union. I think they both take civilians with certain restrictions but I'm not too certain. No fees for either.

Haha I love how you called Bank of America the devil. I often tell myself why did I ever go with them??? I would be interested in USAA and Security Service and I didn't know USAA took civilians. I will definitely check them out and I hope those restrictions you speak of are not huge biggies. haha. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
Folks... Nothing is free anymore. No free lunch. Why in the world are people making such a big deal about this $5/month fee? You probably spend more on coffee every month.

In any event, if you have such a problem with these 'horrible big box banks,' why not go local with a bank like Frost or USAA. Just don't be shocked when they too start charging service fees if you don't keep minimum balances.

BN

Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
One of the reasons I went w/RBFCU an' don't regret it. I detest the big box banks - they lack soul AND/OR local folks that can make REAL decisions. If I have a problem, I want to be able to walk into the bank and talk with someone who can fix it NOW - not "kick it upstairs".

Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Folks... Nothing is free anymore. No free lunch. Why in the world are people making such a big deal about this $5/month fee? You probably spend more on coffee every month.

In any event, if you have such a problem with these 'horrible big box banks,' why not go local with a bank like Frost or USAA. Just don't be shocked when they too start charging service fees if you don't keep minimum balances.

BN
Oh come on now......everyone's situation is different. If you do the math that is 60 bucks a year down the drain for a privilege that many of those huge banks wanted us to use and now they want to charge for it. I DON'T THINK SO!!! And btw not everyone buys coffee every morning and 5 dollars might not sound a lot to you but when tough times call for tough measures, some folks have to make the most of their hard earned money and stretch it as much as they can because 5 dollars goes a long ways for some of them. I feel it is a disgrace to have to pay to use a piece of plastic because it omits the need for a bank....like why have a bank if they want to charge you for every little thing? Lets keep this strictly as to what banks are the best option as far as those debit fees go because that is what this post is about. Everyone has the same right to go wherever they can because they are not happy with the way their banks are doing business. Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
One of the reasons I went w/RBFCU an' don't regret it. I detest the big box banks - they lack soul AND/OR local folks that can make REAL decisions. If I have a problem, I want to be able to walk into the bank and talk with someone who can fix it NOW - not "kick it upstairs".
My point exactly. It's time to jump ship on Bank of America and find that place where there are people who know how to run a bank and not ask you for a "dollar" every time you use their services. BTW RBFCU seems to be another good choice and I have them on my list. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

My grandmother SWEARS by RBFCU. I would've opened one there but it was just easier for me at the time to use USAA but I hear great things about them.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
My grandmother SWEARS by RBFCU. I would've opened one there but it was just easier for me at the time to use USAA but I hear great things about them.
Hey if your grandmother is happy with that place then I feel they must be doing something right and it gives me all the reason to make them high priority. haha. In fact there is one near my house in front of the costco off UTSA BLVD. Man I knew they would come in handy someday.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:16 AM

4,324 posts, read 7,234,158 times
I was listening to a news report the other day, where it was suggested bank customers thinking of jumping ship over upcoming debit card fees might want to hold off for a while, until the dust settles. It was stated that some of the financial institutions are taking a "wait and see" approach, and may follow Bank of America's lead. Customers might pull their money out of one bank and put it in another, only to have their new bank implement fees months later.

The debit card fees could become something like the airlines checked-baggage fees. As has been stated in some of the previous posts, credit unions are probably less likely to hit you with fees.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Actually, all the more reason to "jump ship". If the other banks see a huge loss of customer base, especially of "higher value" customers, they'll realize the potential of huge loss - especially from those customers most recently gained. If they come to realize that it's all noise and no action, well - what do YOU think???

For whatever reason, some bolks simply don't like Credit Unions - in that case, I'd highly suggest Jefferson State Bank. Had a banking relationship with them for almost 10 years or so - and always appreciated their efforts. Only reason I left 'em was I moved out of their primary service area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio