U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:24 PM

18 posts, read 23,088 times

Advertisements

Downtown San Antonio ballpark pitch now in motion - San Antonio Business Journal

Quote:
Top officials with Bexar County and the University of Texas at San Antonio have held preliminary conversations about the potential for building a new downtown ballpark that could be shared by the Roadrunners’ baseball program and the city’s minor league franchise — the Missions.

Associate Athletic Director Brad Parrott says while UTSA’s preference is to build a new baseball venue that is part of a larger on-campus athletics complex, there are some economic challenges associated with such a plan.

“Ideally, if we are going to share a ballpark, it makes the most sense to us that it be (on campus),” Parrott says. “If that’s not possible for the foreseeable future, with the amount of fundraising that we need to do, we would consider moving downtown.”

im on the fence about this idea for UTSA, I would much rather it be on campus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,473 times
Now here's an idea I would gladly support. The current location of the Missions park is odd at best. They haven't put much money into keeping it up and other farm teams out there have much nicer, more supported fields within the system.

I always wondered why baseball never really worked here, considering the climate is ripe for either a more major team or perhaps even something involving spring training. Either way, a new park... an up-to-date park... would bring in new blood and new fans (I think).

BN

Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,995,684 times
Downtown would be great. When we lived in Memphis the minor league park was downtown and it made all the difference. I say go for it.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Downtown would be great. When we lived in Memphis the minor league park was downtown and it made all the difference. I say go for it.
Gasp. You know AutoZone Park? I love that field. The Redbirds (triple-A) have perhaps the nicest park in the minor league system and I always love going to catch a game there. I still dream about those damned BBQ chicken nachos that they sell at the concession stands.

BN

Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 PM

39 posts, read 78,306 times
This is very interesting but I see something like a hybrid stadium happening on campus at UTSA. UTSA has long stated they would like a football stadium near the campus and I would not rule out if they throw this in that mix of things because it can be used for all kinds of sports and make a great sports complex that could draw in some good athletes as well a more college/professional sports events a few feet from the campus and more revenue for UTSA to keep expanding their sports franchises. Although we are a long ways from being like UT, I have to say we are moving at a higher pace than expected and the growth has been phenomenal. GO RUNNERS!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 AM

5,635 posts, read 13,979,876 times
Will it be a pain to drive downtown with traffic issues? I think it's a neat idea, though. Got enough crap out in the suburbs.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM

64 posts, read 114,644 times
Then what would happen to Wolff Stadium? I don't think it is that old. I have enjoyed games there, it is clean and accessible (I'm in a wheelchair), and it doesn't look dilapidated to me.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,171,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcferguson View Post
Then what would happen to Wolff Stadium? I don't think it is that old. I have enjoyed games there, it is clean and accessible (I'm in a wheelchair), and it doesn't look dilapidated to me.
Agreed, not everything has to be a $20M project (cough! cough! Sunken Gardens! ). Wolff Stadium is a nice venue for a minor league team. I'd rather the money go for something more worthwhile that would positively impact a greater number of residents, like road expansions to eliminate the traffic issue!

Wolff stadium was only opened in 1994 and can hold around 9500 fans, which is enough for a Missions or Roadrunners game. Plus, there have been approximately $1.5M in upgrades started/completed on the park in the past five years (mostly paid for by the Missions organization). Their lease is through 2016, with three 5-year options beyond that. I think it would be the smarter move for them to stay in place. UTSA already has its own field, albeit not a great one; but the school could enlarge it or use its property adjacent to Babcock Rd or east of the campus that they could use if they wanted a better/larger stadium.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM

5,635 posts, read 13,979,876 times
Anyone that has ever rebuilt or restored something knows that it almost always costs more than if you were to just buy or build brand-new. Restoration is generally only for one-of-a-kind type of things like historical buildings, etc. The costs of restoring things is just too much (you are essentially paying to remove the old and replace with the new..double whammy). I learned this the hard way when restoring my airplane. Should have just purchased a brand new one, lol.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,954,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Now here's an idea I would gladly support. The current location of the Missions park is odd at best. They haven't put much money into keeping it up and other farm teams out there have much nicer, more supported fields within the system.

I always wondered why baseball never really worked here, considering the climate is ripe for either a more major team or perhaps even something involving spring training. Either way, a new park... an up-to-date park... would bring in new blood and new fans (I think).

BN
I agree with all of this.

I'm also a fan of the park in Memphis - we've seen the Redbirds play there several times. The Springfield Cardinals park in Springfield, MO is also really nice - classic red brick ballfield architecture. Both parks look like miniature big league parks.

The Round Rock Express have a nice park too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or