U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Cp8 Cp8 started this thread

1 posts, read 1,490 times

Advertisements

We have a good chance of moving to SA in the next few months. Family of 5, looking for new or newer home. Where are some of the cities I should plug in to research? Need good public school and homes $375,000-475,000. will be flying out of airport for work so no commute other than that. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Hmmm....personally, I'd look at New Braunfels/Kyle/Buda areas. That allows you to choose between TWO airports - Austin and SA.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,319,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Hmmm....personally, I'd look at New Braunfels/Kyle/Buda areas. That allows you to choose between TWO airports - Austin and SA.
Is there anything in Buda except trailers and Cabela's?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Sure is - you've gotta go off of 35 to find it, though - there's some really neat areas, especially 5 or so miles west of 35.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:44 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,319,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sure is - you've gotta go off of 35 to find it, though - there's some really neat areas, especially 5 or so miles west of 35.
Thanks! All I've ever seen of it is what you see on 35. I'm glad you didn't think I was being sarcastic, I realized after I posted that it might come across that way

Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
There's a real nice gun store in downtown Buda...Bullit Proof Arms.

And actually, "downtown" Buda is pretty nice! We usually go through it on our way back to SA if we're in south Austin as I hate motoring down IH-35. There's not a heckuva lot there, but it nice!

Fun fact: Tabitha B. Padilla, the voice of Santa's Little Helper on the TV hit show The Simpson's, is from Buda!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Thanks! All I've ever seen of it is what you see on 35. I'm glad you didn't think I was being sarcastic, I realized after I posted that it might come across that way
Understood - to be honest, if I didn't have customers west of Buda I'd think the same! But as you get back in there, there are some REALLY nice places!

And that gun shop....M2, STOP THAT!! I've only been there 2 times...yeah, that's my story! And I've NEVER bought anything there...well, not much, anyways.....

Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,722,882 times
Okay, my husband travels for work thus drives to the airport on a regular basis. We wanted great schools for our kids. We don't quite have the budget you do but we wanted a newer house in a nice neighborhood. We live out 281/1604 in that dreaded neighborhood--Stone Oak--and love it. We were here just over 5 years, moved away for 8 months, and returned quickly because we missed the schools so much. With your budget you have your pick of neighborhoods and amenities! The schools all have great ratings both through the TEA (Tx Education Agency) and Great Schools (parent opinions). Alot of people, especially who post here, hate the area and while they are certainly allowed to an opinion it really does meet your criteria. Check out the ratings online. It is NEISD and some school names are Reagan HS, Bush MS, Lopez MS, Stone Oak El (my favorite!), Canyon Ridge El, Hardy Oak El, and Wilderness Oak El--with 2 more joining next year.

There is some traffic but it has gotten better with the work they've done lately to add lanes. People say the "inhabitants" are snobby and pretentious and while I've met some, most are just nice families looking for a good place to raise their kids. The zip in Stone Oak proper is 78258, Encino Park (across 281--also good schools) is 78259, and the back of Stone Oak is 78260 (some Comal schools, good but the MS and HS are out in Bulverde). Good luck and I hope you enjoy living in SA!

Last edited by Bobcat4; 10-13-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 01:07 AM

74 posts, read 130,761 times
Stone Oak would be the best option. Short drive to the airport, best schools, newest homes, and in your budget you can find a great home, very large home. In the $400k range KB Home is also doing built to order semi custom homes. Although I'm not the biggest fan of KB, I know someone who has one of those built to orders and its a nice house. Although if you go deeper into the neighborhood, like down in the Ciboolo Canyons (google it the have a website) there are really nice homes available there. They may push $500k though. Guess it depends the size and what not your looking for but im assuming 4-5 bedrooms? aronud 4k square feet?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:05 AM

9 posts, read 13,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp8 View Post
We have a good chance of moving to SA in the next few months. Family of 5, looking for new or newer home. Where are some of the cities I should plug in to research? Need good public school and homes $375,000-475,000. will be flying out of airport for work so no commute other than that. Thank you!
San Antonio airport is located on the inner loop 410, the new /newer home are located outside Loop 1604 North, Stone Oak area is the suitable location, traffic congestion is depending on the office hour. Best school district in Texas , NEISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio