U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:02 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,869,037 times

Advertisements

So what will the landlord do with an empty theatre?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,018,114 times
This should help the Fiesta, and the Northwest. They were hurt by the Huebner Oaks. Now the Palladium has hurt the Huebner Oaks, Also swapping out film projectors for digital projectors with 24 screens is a VERY expensive proposition! That will have to be done withing 2 years because film will soon be a thing of the past.

The rent must be sky high on the Huebner Oaks. The upkeep, insurance, utilities and maintenance is very high for a venue that big. They get very little from the ticket sales, as most of that money goes to the film companies. The landlord will have to take into consideration the expense of converting the deep stadium seated auditorims to flat floors needed for retail space. He will need to lower his expectations for rent for another theatre company to take it over.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:23 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerale View Post
Wow, Huebner Oaks AMC 24 is closing. That was my favorite theater. Its a real shame whats happening to that center. First Borders, now AMC. I used to love going to Champps (when it was open) and walk around the bookstore then a movie at the AMC.

I know they are negotiaitng with another theater owner so hopefully that goes thru or this center will be really depressing.

I know the Rim is close by but I find the traffic around there to be a nightmare.
Very sad indeed. I live right behind the theater and think that it's good to have a neighborhood theater. It seems to me that the Fiesta Trails theater on Vance Jackson is a lot less modern, expected that to close first. Something that I've always noticed is that if AMC is not playing a movie that I'm looking for, Fiesta IS. I've noticed that my nieces (teens) prefer to go the Palladium a lot and rarely go to AMC anymore. Sad when you realize that AMC 24 was once the premier movie theater. I prefer the movies that show at Bijou and Alamo Drafthouse though and have never even been to a HO movie despite the fact that I live so close to it.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLumbergh View Post
Precisely why San Antonio does not have the aforementioned retailers people clamor for in the other threads.
Exactly. Spot on response. That's San Antonio's market thought-pattern in a nutshell. Sad, as it keeps this city down.

BN

Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,381,336 times
What depressing news. I hope someone else purchases the building and brings in some sort of business, to keep from turning into another vacant concrete eyesore!!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:59 AM

74 posts, read 130,831 times
honestly not surprised. im surprised northwest and fiesta are still around though though for sure they would close. ive only been in san antonio 1.5 yrs, when i first moved here i went to amc a few times because in california i always went to amc...however once i went to the palladium i was hooked. more comfortable seating, better picture quality, and you can refill your drinks as much as you want i like going from coke to icee on a whim...lol.

i'll also point out, i live off i10 and medical so huebner oaks is closer to me, but i dont mind making the extra drive to the palladium for the above mentioned features.

and expensive? coming from cali, im used to spending $13+ on a regular non 3d, non imax movie. the $9-10 that they charge at palladium is well worth it IMO.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Exactly. Spot on response. That's San Antonio's market thought-pattern in a nutshell. Sad, as it keeps this city down.

BN
I guess that's why the Pallidum is doing so poorly... oh wait.

So one person posts "too expensive" and all of a sudden that speaks for all of San Antonio,

I mean, could the closing have to do with Pallidum and Fiesta 16 taking away customers? Nah, that's too logical and rational a reason.

Hmm...

Considering the leasers are already talking to another movie theater chain to take over the space I'd have to say "too expensive" wasn't the reason.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,185,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Something that I've always noticed is that if AMC is not playing a movie that I'm looking for, Fiesta IS. I've noticed that my nieces (teens) prefer to go the Palladium a lot and rarely go to AMC anymore
thats because fiesta and AMC are owned by 2 different companies. one company gets set A of movies, other company gets set B of movies.

eventually, they might swap or lease one or two to the other, but that rarely happens.

your niece is smart. the palladium is a lot lot lot lot nicer than amc or fiesta or pretty much any theater in the city. whenever i go to the movies, its the palladium or bust, as other theaters just feel sub-standard compared to them.

ps - i dont eat movie food, sans a soda. all too expensive.
pps - the crowd at the palladium tends to either be really young or middle aged. crowds at other theaters tend to be more unruly than at the palladium
ppps - the video game area is pricey but worth it

Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,185,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsampson View Post
I guess that's why the Pallidum is doing so poorly... oh wait.

So one person posts "too expensive" and all of a sudden that speaks for all of San Antonio,

I mean, could the closing have to do with Pallidum and Fiesta 16 taking away customers? Nah, that's too logical and rational a reason.

Hmm...

Considering the leasers are already talking to another movie theater chain to take over the space I'd have to say "too expensive" wasn't the reason.
just ignore it and it will eventually go away (the person you responded too).

the 'too expensive' bit is just an example of the ignorance you can expect, as most people i associate with dont mind paying a little more for more features, better seating and picture quality, unlimited refills on sodas AND icees...

the list goes on, but no its too expensive and is crippling the poor small theaters!!! *eyeroll*

Old 10-15-2011, 06:53 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,701,161 times
Has anyone heard of a date for closing? got to keep the website up to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or