U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:07 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,633 times

Advertisements

People still go to movies? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 AM

6,140 posts, read 8,596,618 times
It's also a bummer for those working there. My fingers are crossed that someone else will purchase it so the employees can keep their jobs.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,014,116 times
GY2020, according to this, November 3.

Huebner Oaks 24 to close - San Antonio Express-News

Old 10-15-2011, 09:34 AM

255 posts, read 355,698 times
I certainly hope that Fiesta doesn't close. My mom can't do steps of any kind due to physical limitations, and therefore can't do any theaters that have stadium seating (which is ALL of them at this point). Yes, she could sit in the handicapped row near the front, but she, like many older people, can't crane her neck that way to stare straight up at the screen. Yes, a couple of the theaters have elevators that you can take and come in the back entrance of one of the larger theaters, but those are few and far between. She's left with the Fiesta Five, and the pungent, eye-stinging mold at the Bijou.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
People still go to movies? Why?
We go! Opening day for certain movies, usually involving a superhero or several, is an event for us. I have a problem with people who steal, errr, stream, movies online that are still playing in theaters.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 AM

10,409 posts, read 12,669,746 times
Funny, because it seemed like I always had trouble finding parking whenever I went there. But it does seem pretty luxurious for a movie theater. And the fact that it is sandwiched between Fiesta and Northwest probably doesn't help.

However, Northwest was already there. And so was Fiesta (but I may be mistaken on that.) So that probably wasn't the ideal spot for a new theater complex.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
We go! Opening day for certain movies, usually involving a superhero or several, is an event for us. I have a problem with people who steal, errr, stream, movies online that are still playing in theaters.
Are you hinting that I steal err stream movies? LOL. I wouldn't even know how to do that. I can barely work this website. But I can honestly say that within the past decade I have not seen a commercial for a movie that I was dying to see. Plus it seems like now all these movies are remakes of classics from my childhood in the 80's. Plus I have a super short attention span so if I were to go to a movie it better catch my attention within the first 20 minutes otherwise I have already checked out. I am however looking forward to the new Batman coming up, but I will probably wait until it comes to on-demand.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:20 PM

490 posts, read 968,885 times
The article says they are negotiating with another chain, which would not be surprising. If you own a theatre, which is only usable as a theatre without leveling it, you're not going to let your tenant leave without working it...unless you have another prospect and you can pit them against each other.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Are you hinting that I steal err stream movies? LOL. I wouldn't even know how to do that. I can barely work this website. But I can honestly say that within the past decade I have not seen a commercial for a movie that I was dying to see. Plus it seems like now all these movies are remakes of classics from my childhood in the 80's. Plus I have a super short attention span so if I were to go to a movie it better catch my attention within the first 20 minutes otherwise I have already checked out. I am however looking forward to the new Batman coming up, but I will probably wait until it comes to on-demand.
No, not at all. I just hear people talk about how *expensive* movies are, and then they follow that up with "I just watch them online." I know there are sites where you can stream them. We don't go for something like "The Help"--we can wait to redbox that type, but we do get caught up in the hype when there's a new HP movie, or an X-Men or Spiderman or *swoon* a Thor or a Green Lantern. It's, as I said, an event for my family--just something we enjoy doing together. NOT Twilight, though. LOL well my husband digs it but not me.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,695,910 times
Sapphire: I use Netflix live stream for the majority of my movies, but if they don't stream a recent movie I'll go out and buy it. Don't use Redbox. Thanx for the info Outafocus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or