U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 PM

14,616 posts, read 31,162,010 times

Advertisements

Hollywood can suck it. I'm not paying $35 for what they're spitting out now. I'm not demanding free (read: stolen) but definitely not paying over $100 for the three of us to see a movie whose best scenes are in the previews, generally speaking.

I wish they'd get out of politics and back to making quality films.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,417,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
They're not talking about 'stadium riser' seating. They're making reference to the high-backed seating that AMC has, which no other chain in town uses. IMO, paired with stadium rise, it's the best seat in the mass-market industry. It provides a sense of envelopment and privacy. As for Santikos and Palladium: The company needs to work on it's consistency through the chain. Dirty theaters, outdated tech (at some locations) and untrained employees are their biggest issues. Bigger is not always better. Palladium is the Walmart of moviehouses. It's just a cluster*uck of people at almost all hours of the day.

And for those who aren't seeing the issue with people complaining about movie ticket prices in relation to how SA functions as a whole: Our prices in the States are dirt cheap in comparison to Europe. How about $35+ USD to see a first-run film in London? Yeah, that's what it costs.

If San Antonio moans over a $10 movie ticket, then it's really going to p*ss and groan over the cost of all of these new chains they keep clamoring for.

BN
BN, I think the higher prices overseas has a lot to do with the value of USD vs whatever currency of the country you are speaking of. I could be wrong however.

For example, I was paying 240 yens for a "large" 20 oz coke in Japan which is roughly $3.28 USD at McDonalds there.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,173,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I wish they'd get out of politics and back to making quality films.
Yeah, I agree. JJ Abrams needs to make some more movies!

What's the deal with all the remakes?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 AM

112 posts, read 329,361 times
Remakes are just a sign of Hollywood unwilling to take risks on new material. So many of them are unnessecary. I just saw the new Footloose. That actually worked because it was more of a remix rather than a straight remake. It was the same story, but a new message for both parents and kids.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,718,370 times
Cant believe something is closing down that large on the NW side. Lost money for both sides. Either way wish there were some Harkins theaters here.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,333,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
What's the deal with all the remakes?
Nostalgia sells. It always has. Remakes and revivals are not only a moneymaker for film, but for Broadway and theatre as well. Notice how few 'new' things come through The Majestic's Broadway Series? It seems we keep getting Fiddler on the Roof and some form of CATS year-after-year-after-year. It's a shame.

When you're gambling with that much money, I don't blame producers for going for a more sure bet. What's nice is that every now and then, little films break through and get their just due (Up In The Air, King's Speech, Little Miss Sunshine, etc). It's still possible to put out a great film and not pander to the mind-numbing Michael Bay aesthetic, but it's getting tougher.

BN

Old 10-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,072,596 times
Remember a few years back when the movie studios were talking about making new movies with computer generated stars like Humphery Bogart or James Cagney? I wonder what ever happened to that idea?

Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,173,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Nostalgia sells.
I just hope they don't remake Grease!

Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,702,630 times
Back when AMC opened Huebner Oaks 24, within a year it proposed opening a 30 screen theatre at Central Park Mall. Right after they made the announcement, CPM began to shut down and thus we lost a 30 screen theatre.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:39 PM

65 posts, read 160,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I just hope they don't remake Grease!
I hope they do, starring justin beiber! <3 !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or