U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 AM

502 posts, read 813,727 times

Advertisements

I'm just glad santikos didn't takeover! I hate that guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,415,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
I'm just glad santikos didn't takeover! I hate that guy!
I can't think of one reason to hate him. Is it because of his success?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,803,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Lots of college students in that area, with UTSA Boulevard just 2 exits north of Huebner and thousands of apartments nearby. Dollar movies are just the thing for college students on a budget.
Time will tell... (and I'll get to see since the in-laws still live on the far west side). I've just noticed a pretty strong correlation in other places that I've lived. There will be other forces at play, but dollar theaters aren't usually a positive for an area.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM

1,414 posts, read 1,869,311 times
That and dollar stores - look for the graffiti to follow and sneakers on the power lines.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 AM

502 posts, read 813,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I can't think of one reason to hate him. Is it because of his success?
Lol no I have my own success, it's personal I won't air the truth about him other than I don't like him. However I still give him my money cause dammit he built a good theater called the palladium at the best location ever! Lol

Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,415,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Lol no I have my own success, it's personal I won't air the truth about him other than I don't like him. However I still give him my money cause dammit he built a good theater called the palladium at the best location ever! Lol
Oh ok. I just wondered because I have heard of him. I don't know the guy personaly and I don't go to any of his theaters. I always go to the Quarry which is rare, but only because they are the only theater in town that has open captioning.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:19 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,018,114 times
I once knew John Santikos personally. He is definitely different. He's the kind of guy one cannot like or dislike. He's soft spoken, shrewd, and usually fills his business with top people in their field. He once held a near monopoly on the San Antonio theatre market.

The Palladium is definitely a showplace. Definitely a few cuts above the humble Olmos Theatre and San Pedro Drive In, which is all he had when I first met him in the 1960s.

I am glad Regal is taking over the Huebner Oaks. It is my favorite theatre in San Antonio. The Palladium is just a bit too much for my tastes.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I once knew John Santikos personally. He is definitely different. He's the kind of guy one cannot like or dislike. He's soft spoken, shrewd, and usually fills his business with top people in their field. He once held a near monopoly on the San Antonio theatre market.

The Palladium is definitely a showplace. Definitely a few cuts above the humble Olmos Theatre and San Pedro Drive In, which is all he had when I first met him in the 1960s.

I am glad Regal is taking over the Huebner Oaks. It is my favorite theatre in San Antonio. The Palladium is just a bit too much for my tastes.
Santikos has a history with a group of his employees. He's had his fair share of legal issues because of it. I dislike him as well... He's a creep in my book.

His theaters might look swell, but the tech behind them is undercut. Palladium doesn't even have 4k digital projectors in every theater, while other chains in town do. The sound levels in his larger auditoriums are WAY off. It's annoying to those of us who are audiophiles and enjoy a great spatial mix of surround sound. In general, to me, Palladium is form over function. So many mistakes made when Santikos had other movie chains he could have looked to for better inspiration. I really think he fell flat with the 'VIP' theaters. A total wasted effort.

I'd like to see Santikos actually do something worthwhile with Bijou, as it's the only real arthouse cinema in town now that Draftouse has sold it's soul to sell Michael Bay movies and popcorn to Stone Oak. It wouldn't take much to bring Bijou up to speed.

BN

Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,172,753 times
Well at least Huebner Oaks will already have the sticky floors expected of a dollar theatre (unless they have finally mopped!)

Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM

3,746 posts, read 3,849,879 times
I might be not be understanding correctly but the old AMC will not be the dollar theater. The old fiesta trails will be turned into the dollar theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or