Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:23 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

I posted an article to warn motorists about police stings going on the NW part of town. I was not speeding and did not get a ticket. I am an outside salesman, so spend a lot of time behind the wheel in this city. I have to dodge the many that habitually drive 10-15 miles under the speed limit and the humungous breeder mobile SUVs all day long. whenever I see a clear road where I can actually do the speed limit or even a little over it, I will take the opportunity. the police officers are only out to make the city richer. they could care less about safety. If they cared about safety, they would place those warning signs that indicate how fast you are going. speed limit traps are just citizen control and an additional tax revenue for the city.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Why are they required to warn you (again) to obey the posted speed limit? I travel extensively as well - average 40k/miles a year or so, and have for over 35 years. If I'm ticketed for speeding, it's because I was - NOT because of a "speed trap" or "revenue grab" by the city involved. You need to educate yourself more about the distribution of funds on speeding tickets, and the costs involved in enforcing same - it really ain't that profitable when you look at it all.
And even if it was - if you weren't speeding in the first place, you wouldn't be pulled over for it, right? It ain't a question of meanness - it's more a question of accepting the consequences of your actions. Now, if you want to say "Hey, folks - heads up, DPS is working xyz area right now!" - I'm cool with that, because we can all use the reminder to watch out speed. But the extraneous "shots" at how they're "speed traps" or "generating revenue".....that speaks to a whole other intent/mindset, IMO.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:38 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Why are you so sure you know why the Police do what they do? (you dont) but you present your opinions as fact.

In the arena of ideas, we replace poor ideas with better ideas. (or we replace lesser levels of knowledge with greater levels of knowledge)

You will not understand this until you realize you views are not up to speed with the totality of all the information available. No matter how sure you are or how passionately you feel you are right, it doesnt make it so. You can realize this and grow...or...

Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Why are they required to warn you (again) to obey the posted speed limit? I travel extensively as well - average 40k/miles a year or so, and have for over 35 years. If I'm ticketed for speeding, it's because I was - NOT because of a "speed trap" or "revenue grab" by the city involved. You need to educate yourself more about the distribution of funds on speeding tickets, and the costs involved in enforcing same - it really ain't that profitable when you look at it all.
And even if it was - if you weren't speeding in the first place, you wouldn't be pulled over for it, right? It ain't a question of meanness - it's more a question of accepting the consequences of your actions. Now, if you want to say "Hey, folks - heads up, DPS is working xyz area right now!" - I'm cool with that, because we can all use the reminder to watch out speed. But the extraneous "shots" at how they're "speed traps" or "generating revenue".....that speaks to a whole other intent/mindset, IMO.

I do not speed. Never have I received a ticket. Speed Traps are just fine by me. Being pulled over is okay as well. Of course it will not happen because I do not give any cause to make it happen.

Happy Driving!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Why are you so sure you know why the Police do what they do? (you dont) but you present your opinions as fact.

In the arena of ideas, we replace poor ideas with better ideas. (or we replace lesser levels of knowledge with greater levels of knowledge)

You will not understand this until you realize you views are not up to speed with the totality of all the information available. No matter how sure you are or how passionately you feel you are right, it doesnt make it so. You can realize this and grow...or...
Look, it's only my opinion. I never presented it as fact. If the police cared about driver safety, why don't they just issue "warnings"? Believe me, the adrenaline pump from seeing those flashing lights is significant deterrent already. No, they have to bilk the drivers' wallets.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Because just like a kid that learns there's no REAL pain involved in disobedience, so do adults.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Look, it's only my opinion. I never presented it as fact. If the police cared about driver safety, why don't they just issue "warnings"? Believe me, the adrenaline pump from seeing those flashing lights is significant deterrent already. No, they have to bilk the drivers' wallets.
Yeah, you dont get it. You just said...."I never presented it (my opinion) as fact"...and then tossed out a "BUT....if they...." That is the "It is just my opinion but again, here is what they do..."

Do you understand what you just did?

Your world is very small and your knowledge is very lacking. To top it off, you are confusing your feelings on the issue (which may very well be valid, you dont like it, that is understandable) with the actual reasons, methodologies, motivations, doctrines and results of how the system works.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
IF they cared about safety, they would write tickets for tailgating and **** poor lane etiquette; But it never happens.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I posted an article to warn motorists about police stings going on the NW part of town. I was not speeding and did not get a ticket. I am an outside salesman, so spend a lot of time behind the wheel in this city. I have to dodge the many that habitually drive 10-15 miles under the speed limit and the humungous breeder mobile SUVs all day long. whenever I see a clear road where I can actually do the speed limit or even a little over it, I will take the opportunity. the police officers are only out to make the city richer. they could care less about safety. If they cared about safety, they would place those warning signs that indicate how fast you are going. speed limit traps are just citizen control and an additional tax revenue for the city.
Bascailly just a conferssio of beinga law breaker and the usual excuses about the police.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
IF they cared about safety, they would write tickets for tailgating and **** poor lane etiquette; But it never happens.
Wrong! Happens more often than you would think. BUT - a "tailgating" charge is, believe it or not, VERY hard to "make stick" in court, so they usually end up with being ticketed for something else, and a nasty comment from the cop about the close following. As for lane etiquette...cops can't win - because if they do cite for it, lots of folks complain about why they weren't out there citing for some OTHER traffic offense......oh, wait.......nevermind......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio